unRAID Server Release 4.7 "final" Available

limetech

I just successfully replaced my parity drive, rebuilt parity and performed a parity check with no errors.  How long should I wait before I preclear the old parity drive and use it to replace one of my other data drives?  Or is there anything else I should do or test before preclearing the old parity drive?

Thanks,

Dan

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, you can do it without losing data.

Try this:

hdparm -N p1953525168 /dev/sdf

Follow it with

hdparm -N /dev/sdf

to see if it took effect.

I had ran into HPA problem which did not surfaced until I updated to 4.7. I have a friend also had the same problem. I had 2 drives that reported problem after I updated to 4.7. I follow the above instructions and was able to correct one of the drive but the other drive is WD EARS 1.5TB without jumper on it :( (did not know about the jumper until now).  After I issue the commends to the WD drive it came back with only 409GB on the drive and I can't seems to be able to fix it.

/dev/sde:
setting max visible sectors to 2930277168 (permanent)
max sectors   = 799570736/11041584, HPA setting seems invalid
root@Tower:~# hdparm -N /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
max sectors   = 799570736/11041584, HPA setting seems invalid
root@Tower:~# hdparm -i /dev/sde

/dev/sde:

Model=WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0                     , FwRev=01.00A01, SerialNo=     WD-WCAVU0423882
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=50
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=32767kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=?16?
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=799570736
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes:  pio0 pio3 pio4 
DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6 
AdvancedPM=no WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: Unspecified:  ATA/ATAPI-1,2,3,4,5,6,7

root@Tower:~# hdparm -I /dev/sde

/dev/sde:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number:       WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0                     
Serial Number:      WD-WCAVU0423882
Firmware Revision:  01.00A01
Transport:          Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5
Standards:
Supported: 8 7 6 5 
Likely used: 8
Configuration:
Logical		max	current
cylinders	16383	16383
heads		16	16
sectors/track	63	63
--
CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
LBA48  user addressable sectors:  799570736
device size with M = 1024*1024:      390415 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000:      409380 MBytes (409 GB)

I accidentally reformat the drive that I correct so I am in the process of rebuilding it. I had to unassign the WD EARS and initconfig the server to force it to resync.

My question is, is there a way to fix my WD EARS drive and rebuild the data somehow? I also order a different MB which will prevent HPA from being a problem in the future.

Update:

Further observation showed there are now 2 partitions on the WD EARS drive now?? I was able to mount one of the partition and access some of the data but I get errors

Feb 7 12:31:42 Tower kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Feb 7 12:31:42 Tower kernel: sde1: rw=0, want=1423801160, limit=799570673
Feb 7 12:31:42 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device sde1): vs-13070 reiserfs_read_locked_inode: i/o failure occurred trying to find stat data of [5 1323 0x0 SD]

root@Tower:~# fdisk -l /dev/sde

Disk /dev/sde: 409.3 GB, 409380216832 bytes
1 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12691598 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 63 * 512 = 32256 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sde1               2    46512303  1465137496   83  Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.

So the question now is how did I get the 2 partitons with the original commend and how do i make it into 1 partition again?

Thanks for the reply!

Same ol story. Updated to 4.7, samsung drive reports too small. Went back to 4.6 and am going to wait until the expensive program I bought can fix the problem. I am tired of patching program errors. Did I buy into a hobby program or a professional program? I am glad the program works good as is and I guess I will not update.

Post a fix subject title in the forum that THE program can fix this problem and I will try again.

Thanks

Post a fix subject title in the forum that THE program can fix this problem and I will try again.

Have you actually read up on the background, and understood the root of this problem?

Your motherboard makes a hidden reservation of a chunk of the hard drive and you expect the application to retrieve the space???

Hex, post a brand new thread with your issue along with a full syslog and one of us will be able to walk you through the issue you have due to your motherboard. In the meantime do a search on HPA in the wiki or on the forum to understand what your issue most likely is.

Have you actually read up on the background, and understood the root of this problem?

Your motherboard makes a hidden reservation of a chunk of the hard drive and you expect the application to retrieve the space???

To be fair, it worked fine until now and gigabyte mobo's aren't exactly uncommon.

To be fair, it worked fine until now and gigabyte mobo's aren't exactly uncommon.

It may have "worked fine" but I think there is some other stuff going on here.  A switch in the kernel or something of the like that is detecting the HPA and showing this issue.

This switch may have had to be turned on/off because of support for drives larger than 2TB.

It is not overly difficult to remove the HPA and get the full drive size back.

Hex is over reacting a little bit as this is not an unRAID problem nor one that unRAID can solve by itself.  His motherboard created the problem and to clear it up requires some user input.

Same ol story. Updated to 4.7, samsung drive reports too small. Went back to 4.6 and am going to wait until the expensive program I bought can fix the problem. I am tired of patching program errors. Did I buy into a hobby program or a professional program? I am glad the program works good as is and I guess I will not update.

Thanks

I understand your frustration and I'm looking into an alternative way to handle same-model drives which have different reported size because of existence of HPA.

Use SeaTools and "Set Capacity to Max Native"

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271&NewLang=en

Be careful that your motherboard (Gigabyte) does not create a new HPA.

I don't have any PC here :( I did boot up with my Mac with bootcamp but seatools get stuck on searching for devices......

DOS version does not recognize the USB mouse and keyboard. I also tried HDD Factory Capacity Restore, it gave a an error about not able to restore the device. I am in the process of replacing my MoBo, so I am not going to reboot until I get that new MoBo. I am not sure if I can recover the data on that drive now. Unfortunately, I did initconfig and resync the parity of the drive I had working (did not want to lost what I still have). 4.7 update killed me :(

Is there any other way in regaining the full drive capacity, since I can't really save the data on the drive any more? Does simple reformat the drive work?

Thanks

I understand your frustration and I'm looking into an alternative way to handle same-model drives which have different reported size because of existence of HPA.

You shouldn't blame Limetech because your drives have HPA on them. If you were cognizant of the condition of your drives you wouldn't have this problem. Please accept responsibility for the condition of your drives; since it was your equipment that fouled up your drive in the first place. There are a lot of postings regarding this issue and solutions that do not require the purchase of any software have been detailed.

Thanks

You shouldn't blame Limetech because your drives have HPA on them. If you were cognizant of the condition of your drives you wouldn't have this problem. Please accept responsibility for the condition of your drives; since it was your equipment that fouled up your drive in the first place. There are a lot of postings regarding this issue and solutions that do not require the purchase of any software have been detailed.

Actually I should have come up with a better solution so that existing already-formatted drives get recognized correctly - I didn't anticipate an HPA that uses an odd number of sectors, having never run across one in any server, though of course they are obviously out there.

Edit: I should add that this issue can be corrected, but there is a general problem with HPA... suppose you are using say a parity disk and a couple data disks of all the same model and all with an HPA (so they are all smaller than raw capacity).  Now suppose a disk fails so you replace with same model drive but unknown to you, it has no HPA.  Now this drive will be bigger than all his brothers and this will be confusing and people will start posting: "I put in the same model drive but it's not the same size - what's the matter with the s/w?"  There are ways of solving this but all are ugly.  Complicating the matter is that for some reason, not all drivers are able to access the HPA (or rather not all drivers implement the ATA command to access the HPA).  Ugh, I should have listened to my father and became a dentist.

Thanks

Actually I should have come up with a better solution so that existing already-formatted drives get recognized correctly - I didn't anticipate an HPA that uses an odd number of sectors, having never run across one in any server, though of course they are obviously out there.

Edit: I should add that this issue can be corrected, but there is a general problem with HPA... suppose you are using say a parity disk and a couple data disks of all the same model and all with an HPA (so they are all smaller than raw capacity).  Now suppose a disk fails so you replace with same model drive but unknown to you, it has no HPA.  Now this drive will be bigger than all his brothers and this will be confusing and people will start posting: "I put in the same model drive but it's not the same size - what's the matter with the s/w?"  There are ways of solving this but all are ugly.  Complicating the matter is that for some reason, not all drivers are able to access the HPA (or rather not all drivers implement the ATA command to access the HPA).  Ugh, I should have listened to my father and became a dentist.

Please don't take time away from 5.0 development to fix what is basically a user error (even if based on common naivety). I asked Raj to pin an HPA thread at the top of the HD forum. We will detail solutions for various drives in the first post. Once it is complete, people can refer to it for a fix for any drive.

If someone has HPA on all of their drives they will have to replace parity first or do a parity swap.

Edit: perhaps when someone replaces a data drive with a drive that is larger than parity the UI could indicate that a parity swap is required.

Its perfectly possible to end up with a drive with a HPA on it having never owned a Gigabyte motherboard.  The first time it would affect you would be upgrading to 4.7. 

I see where people are coming from but at the end of the day this change in how things work has caused issues for a number of people now it seems so I at least think it would be prudent to make mention of the issue in the release notes.

I've personally held off upgrading to this release because I can't be bothered with the hassle of messing about with the HPA on one of my drives (created by a motherboard I no longer own!)

Thanks

Try WHS, I've got a copy you can have for 1/2 price!  Complete with all manner of problems and workarounds, but with a lovely looking interface, of course the support is nowhere near as good as here and the updates are few and far between, but the new version (Vail) removes the most useful features and thereby removing the bugs.

Honestly I can't fault the support here and the frequent updates and fantastic user community.  Hands up those of us that have had a BSOD with a MS product, do you start accusing Mr Gates of producing a "Hobby program" I don't see how Tom can be held responsible for a problem created by a hardware manufacturer who forces functionality and alters a drive characteristics whether you want it to or not.

::)

I run a 10TB WHS V1 and it runs fine since I put all the drives on a sata port multiplier and got all the USB drives off of it. I also run a Windows Web server with a dozen sites on it. I have 2 FTP sites and also run my own email server. I am a programmer. I bought Unraid because of the unique way of data protection. It is not the double the data on two drives like WHS. I now have a 12TB Unraid that I cannot update because of a problem. I bought a motherboard that was on the approved list that didn't work. The next time I checked the list the MB was blacklisted. It was a rough road to get this thing to work but it does work. I have my unit as a headless unit stuck in a closet across the house. I guess I will telnet into it and fix it.

I wrote that last message after a long day and I wasn't in any mood to modify parameters or track down logs or any of that stuff. But I guess I will do that now that I am in a better mood. Lime, if during the initial setup, can you just take the size of the disc as gospel or will bios choke on it? Y'know, eliminate the HPA during format?

Don't stop work on 5+ or dgaschk will blow a vein.

Thanks for your support Chris.

The HPA is not something you can eliminate during the "formatting" of a disk.  Boy, do I wish it was as easy as that.

It is a feature built into the disk, one that gets to be set once per power cycle of a hard disk (as far as I've read) and one that some BIOS seem to have really gotten wrong.  (Specifically Gigabyte on some MB)

With all your experience, you'll understand nobody on these forums work for lime-tech other than "limetech"  Good luck with your server.

Joe L.

Was just going to upgrade my parity drive from 1.5T to 2.0T with advanced-format so I figured I'd upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7 at the same time.

1. Did a parity check.  OK

2. Shutdown server.

3. Swap drives.

4. Boot & check status.  Parity drives shows up OK with blue-dot.

5. Copy over new bzimage & bzroot  (overwrite 4.6 with 4.7) and reboot and now I've got four drives in the red!  :/

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: unRAID driver 1.1.1 installed

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk0: [8,128] (sdi) ST2000DL003-9VT1 5YD1DLK4 size: 1953514552

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: disk0 wrong

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk1: [8,32] (sdc) WDC WD5000AAKS-6 WD-WCAS85494000 size: 488386552

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk2: [8,48] (sdd) WDC WD5000AAKS-6 WD-WCAS85394666 size: 488386552

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk3: [8,16] (sdb) WDC WD5000AAKS-2 WD-WCAPW4129766 size: 488386552

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk4: [8,0] (sda) ST31500541AS    9XW02NFA size: 1465137492

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: disk4 wrong

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk5: [8,96] (sdg) WDC WD15EADS-00P WD-WCAVU0390002 size: 1465138552

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk6: [8,64] (sde) WDC WD5000AAKS-2 WD-WCAPW4107675 size: 488385492

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: disk6 wrong

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk7: [8,80] (sdf) WDC WD5000AAKS-2 WD-WCAPW4125131 size: 488385492

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: disk7 wrong

Feb 19 02:29:07 Watchtower kernel: md: import disk8: [8,112] (sdh) WDC WD5000AAKS-6 WD-WCAS85486418 size: 488386552

Upgrade%20to%204.7%20from%204.6%20-%204%20bad.jpg