unRAID Server Release 4.7 "final" Available

limetech

In the first post of each announcement thread are instructions (or links to instructions in the wiki) for doing an update. What you have posted is not correct.

I've read the first page here

it says

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.6 or higher, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:

bzimage

bzroot

but i dont understand, the zip file is a bunch of files..

what does he mean with, copy the lines?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello,

I want to upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

Why?

Cause i have a parity drive (wd20ears) and 2 data drives (wd20ears) all jumpered, and i want to add a new wd20ears to it.

Leave the jumpers on the existing drives.  Do not attempt to move their existing partition, it will only cause you hair loss.

For the new drive, you can upgrade to 4.7, do NOT install a jumper, pre-clear with a signature to start on sector 64, or set the default to 4k-aligned in settings and let unRAID do the clearing while the array is off-line.

I've read that i have to get to 4.7 then (for the 4k alignment)

Not exactly true, you can add the jumper to the new drive and it will electrically add one to the sector being addressed and you'll have 4-k alignment as you have done with your existing drives.

i just follow this? :

Upgrading an existing Flash Device

----------------------------------

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.6 or higher, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:

bzimage

bzroot

You should probably ALSO stop the array and make a copy of the "config" directory so you can revert to the old release if needed.

You might rename the existing bzimage to bzimage.46 and bzroot to bzroot.46 so if you need you can rename them back and get back to your existing release.

Then just reboot.

You might wait a few more days, since there is a release of 4.7.1 that will be out momentarily.  It fixes a bug that caused parity errors following the upgrade of a disk in all prior versions of unRAID.  (It caused the same error in all early versions of the linux "md" (raid) driver.)

Joe L.

I want to be sure, so i dont loose data

You might wait a few more days, since there is a release of 4.7.1 that will be out momentarily.  It fixes a bug that caused parity errors following the upgrade of a disk in all prior versions of unRAID.  (It caused the same error in all early versions of the linux "md" (raid) driver.)

Joe L.

Any idea if 4.7.1 will be for this week?

Joe L.

Any idea if 4.7.1 will be for this week?

yes

I've just completed the upgrade to 4.7 and had a few questions about the AF drives.

I currently have two, 2TB drives not installed in my server, which I plan to do now that I have 4.7 installed.

Both are Seagate LP models, but with different model#'s:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st32000542as-bcuda-lp-sata-2tb-hd&vgnextoid=1f70e5daa90b0210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&locale=en-US

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st2000dl003-bcuda-green-sata-6gb-2tb-hd&vgnextoid=add6439d45c0b210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&locale=en-US

The first one I upgraded the firmware on, as at the time I got it, their was a lot of talk about firmware issues, so its now running CC35.

I've also had this unit installed in my windows machine, jumper on, acting as a data drive, however it can be wiped out and it can be setup however most appropriate for UnRaid.

The second one I got is still in the packaging running CC32.  I have to look in to this model, as it is different, to see if it needs the CC35 upgrade also.

These will be the first 2 - 2TB in my server, so one will need to be slated as the Parity drive and the other a data drive.

I am running with a Gigabyte Motherboard, so I will need to also ensure the BIOS doesn't try to write itself to either.

That's all the facts... now to the question:

1.  I've looked at both models details, at Seagate, and I do not see any difference between them ( which makes me wonder why they have a different model number ).    Is one recommended, over the other, to act as my parity drive?

2.  Can you have a mixture of AF drives and regular drives?  If so, when I change the option in the UNRaid settings, does that just format all New drives added to the array in this manor?

3.  If anyone has used the second model of drive ( ST2000DL003 ), do you know offhand if it does require the CC35 firmware upgrade (remembering my drive is currently at CC32)

Thanks guys!

1.   I've looked at both models details, at Seagate, and I do not see any difference between them ( which makes me wonder why they have a different model number ).    Is one recommended, over the other, to act as my parity drive?

One is 6Gb/sec, one is 3Gb/sec (according to the links you posted).  Drives are not capable of more than about 1/2 of the 3 Gb/sec.  So which is better, having a hose 2x bigger than you need, or 4x bigger than you need?  You could benchmark them to be sure, but I'd say you're not going to be able to tell the difference.

2.  Can you have a mixture of AF drives and regular drives?   If so, when I change the option in the UNRaid settings, does that just format all New drives added to the array in this manor?

Absolutely NOT.  You must replace all of your regular drives and use AF drives only.  Otherwise sparks wil fly out of the computer melting the magnetic media on all of your drives.

Just kidding ;).  You can freely mix AF and regular drives.  If a disk is already in your array, unRAID will not repartition or reformat it.  New drives should be precleared with the "-A" option to force them to be aligned in an optimal way for AF and non-AF drives.

3.  If anyone has used the second model of drive ( ST2000DL003 ), do you know offhand if it does require the CC35 firmware upgrade (remembering my drive is currently at CC32)

Seagate has a website where you enter the serial number of a drive and it will tell you what firmware is recommended.  Suggest you use that.

Thanks guys!

yw!

2) Yes. You can mix drives.

All drives except JUMPERED WD EARS can operate under the 4K-Aligned Sector 64 setting without any performance issues.

Actually:

All drives can operate under any setting, even WD EARS drives.    

However,

A JUMPERED WD EARS DRIVE will not work at max performance if 4K-Aligned.

A NON-JUMPERED WD EARS DRIVE will not work at max performance if 4k-unaligned.

You may or may not notice the performance difference if you are not accessing lots of small files.

The aligned/un-aligned setting in the unRAID interface is only used if the disk is first being partitioned. (fresh out of the factory box)

The aligned/un-aligned setting is ignored if the disk already has a partition defined either from pre-clearing, or prior use in unRAID.

I've also had this unit installed in my windows machine, jumper on, acting as a data drive, however it can be wiped out and it can be setup however most appropriate for UnRaid.

Why do you have a "jumper on" a Seagate drive? I've never heard of a jumper being added to a Seagate.

Why do you have a "jumper on" a Seagate drive? I've never heard of a jumper being added to a Seagate.

I might need to bite my tongue on that statement (about the jumper).  I'll admit, I installed a while ago and I remember the jumper discussions and thought i put one on, however after your comment I am starting to wonder if I actually decided against the WD drive, for that reason and went to what I personally have trusted (knock on wood) for many years....Seagate.    I'll have to yank it out tomorrow and confirm what I did with it.

1.   I've looked at both models details, at Seagate, and I do not see any difference between them ( which makes me wonder why they have a different model number ).    Is one recommended, over the other, to act as my parity drive?

One is 6Gb/sec, one is 3Gb/sec (according to the links you posted).  Drives are not capable of more than about 1/2 of the 3 Gb/sec.  So which is better, having a hose 2x bigger than you need, or 4x bigger than you need?  You could benchmark them to be sure, but I'd say you're not going to be able to tell the difference.

That was my first impression, however when you look at the key benefits they are both listed as 6 Gb/s (I love it when manufactures have unclear details like this).  But, I get your point about the pipe analogy (as we use that at work explaining the speed of the Internet versus the speed of the clients ethernet adapter.  You'd be suprised how many people think they get 100Mbps speeds!) :)

2.  Can you have a mixture of AF drives and regular drives?   If so, when I change the option in the UNRaid settings, does that just format all New drives added to the array in this manor?

Absolutely NOT.  You must replace all of your regular drives and use AF drives only.  Otherwise sparks wil fly out of the computer melting the magnetic media on all of your drives.

Just kidding ;).  You can freely mix AF and regular drives.  If a disk is already in your array, unRAID will not repartition or reformat it.  New drives should be precleared with the "-A" option to force them to be aligned in an optimal way for AF and non-AF drives.

F#%cker! :P  You guys have all the power as you are UnRaid Gods to me and I end up following everything you say!  lol

So, the preclear process sets the alignment to either AF or Non-AF.    What and/or When do you activate the default partition status to MBR 4K Aligned ?

Seagate has a website where you enter the serial number of a drive and it will tell you what firmware is recommended.  Suggest you use that.

I forgot about that tool, however I'm pretty sure the suggestion was to disregarded anyways, with my other 2TB drive.  The tool listed my drive as needing the upgrade, but it would not complete it.  There was a manual process i went through to force it.  I can't say I trusted it 100%, thus my reason for using it as a data drive on my main PC ( I rip DVD's to it temporarily until they get their artwork added and nfo created for upload to the server)

Thanks again guys, however be warned, I will be back later with more questions as I suspect pre-clearing the 2TB drives may take a while!  I'm not certain I even have enough power adapters remaining in my server to power both and these should fill up my remaining SATA slots and drive bays. 

What and/or When do you activate the default partition status to MBR 4K Aligned ?[/color]

Two ways:

1 - Preclear with the "-A" option.  This will force "aligned" for that disk.

2 - There is a default setting somewhere in unRaid.  I am not sure where it is in 4.7.  But if you set the default to "aligned" instead of "unaligned", then preclear will automatically pick it up.  And if you happen to not preclear (not recommended), unRAID will partition the disk with aligned settings.

So, the preclear process sets the alignment to either AF or Non-AF.

Not quite .....

Any drive should work at optimal speeds when set to 4k alignment, whether it is AF or not.  The only exception to this is the WD EARS (and EARX?) drives when they have the jumper installed.  So, the advice is to always use 4k alignment when you format a drive, unless it is a WD which has been operating with the jumper installed - in which case you leave the jumper in place and format it un-aligned.

Going from 4.6 to 4.7 my unraid unmenu doesnt work anymore (cant go to \\unraid:8080) nor is the sleep anymore working so i think all adds are gone?

Do i need to reinstall these?

This is not an unRAID issue, please start a new thread in general support

actually user-customizations might even be more appropriate.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just completed assembling my NAS with a old C2D E2140 and a gigabyte board and also have completed installing Unraid on it.  The initiall configuration was been done successfully. I then started the process of preclear my drives (2x1TB and 1x2TB). I followed the instructions by Joe given HERE and started the preclear process for 2 drives (one 1 Tb and the other 2TB). The process started successfully how ever when I go to my "myMain" page to monitor the preclear process (as Instructed by joe) I see only my 2TB progress been shown there, not the 1TB which I can see on my Unraid server (the percentage increasing).

I then notices HPA written against the 1TB drve. (which brought me to this thread). I will try to remove the HPA as instructed on this fourm after the preclear is finished. But woldl this (HPA) have any affect on the preclear process (might be a noob Q), reason to believe this is the progress is not showing on the "myMain" browser page.

Do I need to do anything here (preclear process already is running for both the disks at about 15% currently)......

I am using 4.7 BTW with the latest version of preclear

Screen shot of my main

21jyr8l.jpg

Regards

Sammy

Hi All,

I have just completed assembling my NAS with a old C2D E2140 and a gigabyte board and also have completed installing Unraid on it.  The initiall configuration was been done successfully. I then started the process of preclear my drives (2x1TB and 1x2TB). I followed the instructions by Joe given HERE and started the preclear process for 2 drives (one 1 Tb and the other 2TB). The process started successfully how ever when I go to my "myMain" page to monitor the preclear process (as Instructed by joe) I see only my 2TB progress been shown there, not the 1TB which I can see on my Unraid server (the percentage increasing).

I then notices HPA written against the 1TB drve. (which brought me to this thread). I will try to remove the HPA as instructed on this fourm after the preclear is finished. But woldl this (HPA) have any affect on the preclear process (might be a noob Q), reason to believe this is the progress is not showing on the "myMain" browser page.

Do I need to do anything here (preclear process already is running for both the disks at about 15% currently)......

I am using 4.7 BTW with the latest version of preclear

Screen shot of my main

21jyr8l.jpg

Regards

Sammy

The preclear will not be valid once you remove the HPA.  You need to deal with that first.