[SOLVED] Parity sync errors

4 hours ago, jimbo123 said:

Given I'm now running with a different board and different memory is this now pointing to a disk ?

Possibly, unfortunately no way of knowing which one, you'd need to test one by one, but if you do a replacement there's a chance of data corruption, if possible I would recommend first trying a new parity disk, if still errors create a new array with the new parity without one of the existing data disks, re-sync parity then run a check, repeat without a different data disk to see if you find the culprit. 

Hmmm,.. the 2nd part has me confused.

1st thing I should do is buy another disk to use a 'new' parity disk with the existing data disks,.. replace the parity in the system,.. run the checks and see what happens. If problem goes away, 'original' parity disk was probably the culprit, problem solved, phew.

If problem is still there,... original parity disk is probably ok ? And its probably a fair assumption that the original board and memory was ok also ?

The next thing is what I'm confused a little about. Especially the part on new array with existing disks.

Can you expand on that if you could please ?

I was sort of thinking maybe something like the below,...

Leave things in my array and current 'prod' hardware alone,.. build up my spare microserver, (using orig board and memory and parity disk) and essentially build a new Unraid server (I can backup the usb to keep for the 'prod' server - that's just a simple file copy isn't it?) and introduce a single data disk at a time ?

If parity check is ok, put disk it back into 'prod' server and get the next one ? Rinse and repeat until, hopefully, I get errors with a disk ?

Thoughts? Maybe your version is easier? but that scares me?

1 hour ago, jimbo123 said:

If problem is still there,... original parity disk is probably ok ? And its probably a fair assumption that the original board and memory was ok also ?

Probably yes.

1 hour ago, jimbo123 said:

The next thing is what I'm confused a little about. Especially the part on new array with existing disks.

If it's not parity it can be one of the data disks, but if you just do a standard rebuild it will likely corrupt data, unless by luck it is a disk and it's the first one you pick, so I would make a new array without one of the data disks and test, if no more issues it was that disk, if still errors repeat the process without a different data disk until hopefully you find the culprit.

Reading up on the 'new array' bit,... is this the section describing that? https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Reset_the_array_configuration

So from the guide:

Before starting, save super.dat from Config folder before I start any array changes.

1. Stop the array
  2. Tools > New config
  3. Click the checkbox to preserve the config; assume there'll be an option to de-select a disk ?
  4. Assume there'll be an option to Save changes ?
  5. Start the array; it mentions a checkbox indicating whether 'parity is valid' and normally to leave it unchecked unless told otherwise? check or uncheck?
  6. Do a parity check ?
  7. No errors from (6) chances are disk de-selected in (3) is suspect; stop here and replace disk ? and will reach out on how to bring in the new disk given the array config changes that have occurred here (I was thinking restore original config super.old to super.dat and then standard disk swap?)
  8. Errors from (6) back to (1) and this time for (3) de-select a different disk and include the one de-selected from previous run

And all of this is only after I:

• buy a new parity disk
  • replace the parity disk
  • do 2 checks
  • and still have errors after the 2nd check

Sound right ?

44 minutes ago, jimbo123 said:

Click the checkbox to preserve the config; assume there'll be an option to de-select a disk ?

Yes.

Assume there'll be an option to Save changes ?

Array is saved when you press the start button.

Start the array; it mentions a checkbox indicating whether 'parity is valid' and normally to leave it unchecked unless told otherwise? check or uncheck?

Don't check. parity won't be valid with a missing disk, it will be synced after array start.

45 minutes ago, jimbo123 said:

Do a parity check ?

Yes, after it's synced.

46 minutes ago, jimbo123 said:

No errors from (6) chances are disk de-selected in (3) is suspect; stop here and replace disk ?

Yes, but I would run another check to confirm.

Managed to stop the array to have a look at the 'New config' function.

When preserving the config,.. do I select all here ? and then close ?

image.png.f3a50a22a9e3543980d3717e6c8a7f17.png

And then check 'yes I want to do this' and click Done ?

image.png.d89f337ea1c3e589f63f727d06be23e2.png

Where does the option to de-select a disk come up ? Will it come up afterwards ? or elsewhere ?

Sorry for what might seem like basic questions.

4 hours ago, jimbo123 said:

Where does the option to de-select a disk come up ? Will it come up afterwards ? or elsewhere ?

On the Main GUI page after you apply the new config.

If you select "None", then the Main GUI with all your assignments would be blank, and you would need to recreate the proper assignments. If you select all, the slots will be prefilled with the previous entries, but you can choose to change any that you want before committing to starting the array.

• Thanks 1

I cancelled the check.

Think I did all the right things.

Deselected just one of the older disks first.

image.png.b3550b74b081a7cb282f7ec00503db3a.png

Its now rebuilding the parity.

image.png.4e05460eeb66cc2d8ab3e2f27487e43b.png

Guess the rebuild will probably take about a day.

Two parity checks afterwards?

If it gets through, then Disk 1 was the culprit.

If I still get errors, repeat, bringing back Disk 1 and taking out Disk 2,.. parity rebuild, parity checks x 2.

And same again with other disks if I continue to get errors.

• Like 1

ok, so 3rd check finished with 0 errors, Disk 2 is probably the culprit.

image.png.f721c26b88b2704d4774b0fb6b78274a.png

What are next steps now ?

• Bring back Disk 2
  • Rebuild parity
  • Should I still do any checks afterwards
  • Then treat it as a disk replacement ? Replacing Disk 2 with my previous parity disk

Or is there a different process ?

Thanks,

Jim.....