Better support for other registries.

As you might now, DockerHub will be doing HUGE changes that affects users, read more HERE.

The TL;DR is that each ip is only allowed to do 100 unauthenticated pulls in a span of 6 hours. FYI checking for updates counts as a pull. Logging in to a dockerhub account only doubles that. 

So for the request: 
Currently dockerMan only works well with images from dockerhub. Once you use another registry, it looses the aspect of being "up to date". This is troublesome for people and organizations that has, will or is currently migrating to other registries (Personally I now push to GitHubs Container Registry).
I herby ask for dockerMan to also have the same integration for other registries (or a documented selected few), to satisfy users. 

This migration will also see "new images" in CA. (pings @Squid)

• Like 7

I believe that dockerMan already does support other registries on 6.9.  (https://github.com/limetech/webgui/pull/650 unless I'm misreading what this is for ;) )

Tomorrow, once the change actually takes effect, I will be testing whether it's a container pull or an image pull (multiple images in a container) that counts towards the quota.  Realistically, it shouldn't affect many users around here (uber power users and some developers being the exceptions).  On a quick look at the coding, it's not that hard to add in dockerHub credentials to the system to allow you 200+ pulls every 6 hours.

But, yeah if you're checking for updates to your containers every hour, then you may run into it.

CA itself doesn't particularly care which registry is used.  There's a few apps currently which do not utilize dockerHub.

• Thanks 1

Would like to have this resolved before 6.9, but its nice that its resolved there. I dont know how often dockerMan check for updates (can you change that?)

As for my CA concern, doesnt a "new image" now currently not respect the registry? Imagine lsio changing the templates all at once, wouldnt those show up as new in CA?

9 minutes ago, Roxedus said:

Would like to have this resolved before 6.9, but its nice that its resolved there. I dont know how often dockerMan check for updates (can you change that?)

Maximum check period is 4 times per day, so you'd have to have 50 containers installed and all 50 show an update to get nailed by it.  (Settings - Notification settings)

10 minutes ago, Roxedus said:

As for my CA concern, doesnt a "new image" now currently not respect the registry? Imagine lsio changing the templates all at once, wouldnt those show up as new in CA?

Yup.  Because the system works by the repository entry.  It all works out in the end, and will adjust itself over time.  But, I do have a couple of pet peeves with how some apps are handled by the maintainers that modifying how this works will fix my OCD

• Like 1