I have some questions about UNRAID

So I would like to set up a NAS and lancache for my house. I know that UNRAID is really good for NAS, but could I use it for a lancache? I know that there is other software for lancache, such as this, but I have had some trouble with that software in the past and was wondering if UNRAID would be a better solution. If it does allow you to do a lancache, what things could it cache? (like could it cache steam games, windows updates, etc)

...unRaid is a NAS and you have the flexibility, provided the fact that your Hardware supports it, to install any kind of additional software Application, either as a Docker or via the help of a complete VM (including Windows).

In short: no, a lancache is not a native part of unRaid, but can be installed.

If you are unhappy with that piece of software you linked, installing it on unRaid probably would not increase your satisfaction with it.

Do you know of a better software, then go ahead and install it yourself or find co-creators in the unRaid community to help/do it.

2 hours ago, Ford Prefect said:

...that's the same piece of software, the OP pointed out/linked above.

Good: already supported in unRaid

Bad: the OP doesn't like it ;-)

I might just end up doing that. I imagine it would be easier than setting up a virtual machine and would be more efficient because it would use a more basic OS. I have had trouble setting up that software in the past, that is the main thing I don't like about it, so if it is set up through the app store, it would probably be much simpler.

9 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

...sounds like a plan.

Maybe, as already suggested, you should read and ask some more questions in the other thread,,,,then start running a unRaid trial licence and gather experience yourself.

One more question: I have a server, which at the moment is running a game server for my friend and I, but it is not really used anymore. If I installed UNRAID on that and wanted to upgrade the CPU later, could I upgrade the CPU and not have to worry about like resetting the UNRAID settings or anything? Like would it be an issue to swap the CPU or like add a hard drive or would that be just as easy as doing the same thing on a Windows machine where you just swap the components and turn it on and it does everything.

1 hour ago, TinsellyCone said:

If I installed UNRAID on that and wanted to upgrade the CPU later, could I upgrade the CPU and not have to worry about like resetting the UNRAID settings

Yes, it is an easy thing to do. I have replaced motherboard, CPU, RAM at least 4 times with the same unRAID flash drive, configuration and license.

If you have VMs, you may need to do some configuration tweaks as many VM settings are hardware dependent, but, unRAID itself is not. 

As far as the array goes, it is easy to add and replace disks in an existing configuration and upgrading MB, CPU and/or RAM does not change that configuration at all.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Yes, it is an easy thing to do. I have replaced motherboard, CPU, RAM at least 4 times with the same unRAID flash drive, configuration and license.

If you have VMs, you may need to do some configuration tweaks as many VM settings are hardware dependent, but, unRAID itself is not. 

As far as the array goes, it is easy to add and replace disks in an existing configuration and upgrading MB, CPU and/or RAM does not change that configuration at all.

Awesome!

On 11/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, ChatNoir said:

I found this on the appstore, looks like a lancache:

Don't know if it would do what you want, but you can ask there. :) 

Ok, so I had no issues installing it, but it's not working. When I set it as my DNS, websites and everything still work, even after clearing DNS cache, so that's good. Here is the problem: It detects when I am installing a game and logs that it has that game in the cache, but doesn't actually cache it. So next time I download that game, it tries to pull from the steam cache, but there is nothing there, so it just doesn't download. Also, how do you hide shares for users? I have tried setting it to no access but it still shows, just cant open it.

Edited by TinsellyCone