(v5) parity check begins, then lose access to server

Really strange - server has been working fine and now some more behavior that leads me to believe that it's demon-possessed.

Server boots, parity check is started, I can connect via WebGUI and my shares are all visible on the network. Everything looks great - after an hour I check progress of the parity check - up to some percentage, no worries. Some more times goes by, and then no connection on the network - no WebGUI, no share/server access of the files - 

I can connect via the console-but nothing else

Anything in the syslog that would point to failure of some bit of equipment? 

syslog.txt

Nov  1 22:15:39 Tower emhttp: get_config_idx: fopen /boot/config/shares/Backups.cfg: No such file or directory - assigning defaults

This line *implies* that there's a problem with the flash drive.  Not a guarantee as there's usually other lines (at least in v6) that go hand-in-hand with it, but it is suspicious.

Unfortunately, further help may be harder to come by as v5 is very old, and not too many users can still remember it (myself included)

Hardware wise (outside of the flash drive), the first thing to check is to run a memtest from the boot menu for a minimum of 1 pass (preferably at least a couple, ideally for 24 hours)

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, rockytt said:

I would - but miniDLNA is a hard requirement

I see that miniDNLA is listed under the v6 Apps option.   Not tried it myself but it does appear it would not be an obstacle to upgrading.  

You can always make a backup of your v6 Flash drive before attempting the upgrade so you can easily revert if needed.