Enabling Rsync or RTRR on UnRaid please

Hi I'm wanting to enable RTRR or RSYNC on the UnRaid please. As I want to have UnRaid for H.A production traffic in a secure environment. But needing a SnapShot backup to a less secure location, but on the same network, that can see and take snapshots from the UnRaid production NAS / shares (Yes the Snapshot will be stored on the offsite QNAP Backup server for site redundancy / DR, as part of the backup/replication strategy). 

And QNAP QTS NAS has that feature in their Hybrid Backup, but need RTRR or Rsync enabled to be enabled on UNRaid.

I'm preferring not to use duplicati (But using as a temporary workaround at the mo). As finding it a bit finicky in database errors for large storage with lots of files. (plus a few other niggles) And QNAP just seemed more elegant / robust for my cheaper backup requirement. Plus prefer to take workload off the UnRaid for Backup jobs. As Plex users can sometimes be affected when duplicati is doing a backup... and QNAP with Backup software was only £70 for the TS128A 🙂

I've added screen shot of UnRaid showing what I have.

I've added screen shot from QNAP Hybrid back (HB3) that support RTRR (real-time remote replication ) and Rsync - Asking for guidance how to enable RTRR or Rsync to my UnRaid please?

image.png.74c4500ea8d01b7de396412ce2138b57.pngimage.thumb.png.8f194f55db1672de6d085fd2c9e76168.pngimage.thumb.png.077e3506dadc0b65caebe4203c920a02.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16image.thumb.png.5a559643517f111576b3bae00d780f54.png

Edited by huntjules
typoes

All setup now. Unraid already supported rsync. I just had to configure the QNAP remote end with correct user share credentials, SSH, encrypted port number and fiddled with QNAP drop down menu options and after a few options were tried, on 4th QNAP option, the qnap could see UnRaid shares.

If others interested, screen snip below of what options got working for me

image.thumb.png.06fcd5093953c6703ddb2724ef08a682.png

Edited by huntjules
typoes
  • Like 3
  • 3 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 8:16 AM, Tiffy said:

I'm planning to make a setup like yours, I'm new in Unraid. I would like to ask how I enable SSH? Any setup guide for Qnap and Unraid? as not much site talk about rsync between it.

On UnRAID SSH is enabled by default.

QNAP probably requires SSH to be enabled in the GUI somewhere. EDIT: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_SSH_into_your_QNAP_device

I'm not aware of a QNAP and UnRAID specific guide, but there are hundreds of guides online about setting up server to server sync with SSH and RSYNC: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-rsync-to-sync-local-and-remote-directories 

Edited by weirdcrap
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, Tiffy said:

I'm planning to make a setup like yours, I'm new in Unraid. I would like to ask how I enable SSH? Any setup guide for Qnap and Unraid? as not much site talk about rsync between it.

The SSH guide that @weirdcraphas mentioned has go to do with logging into QNAP via SSH. You don't need that. I have a similar setup as @huntjules where I required VM Backups folder copied over to my QNAP. At first was a bit of a hustle but realized it was my own "thinking-too-technical" brain misleading me-there really isn't much setup to do. Simply setup Rsync in HSB 3 using the "Active Sync Job" mode, this has the QNAP pull the files FROM Unraid, the other two options will send TO Unraid. Select 'Remote Rsync Server' and fill in the details. Username and Password are your Unraid login credentials and remember to check 'Use encryption port' which is 22. Test the connection then proceed on to select your folders/directories while completing the rest of the setup. That's all😊

A heads-up: the sync process may take a while depending on the size of the source file. Seems QNAP will 'cache', like how Download manager does when downloading, and it'll seem like the sync process is stuck. Be patient.

All the best

2023-01-21_12-35-18.jpg

2023-01-21_12-37-39.jpg

Edited by Kich902
  • 5 months later...