New Network Stack and UnRiad

MasterAssassin

Hey folks,

I’ve been noticing that my UnRaid server is getting a tad long in the tooth in terms of speed of docker containers running and the VMs. Granted the server is running on an old FX-8320 and 16GB of DDR3 ram. 

So I think it’s time to upgrade but I don’t know which path to take. Currently I’ve got an order to Amazon for the following parts list...https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xcnPVc

(Note that all Purchased Items will be put into the new server from the old one.)

On the other hand however, I also thought that maybe a used Dell R710 like this one...Click Here, would also be a viable option.  It would be specced with 64 GB of Ram and the 6 drive caddies as blanks.

The UnRaid Server runs the following:

2x Ubuntu 18.04 + Bind 9 DNS Server

2x Ubuntu 18.04 + PiHole

1x Ubuntu 18.04 + Poste.io Mail Server

1x Ubuntu 16.04 + UniFi Controller + Lets Encrypt

Docker containers:

Crashplan Backup Pro

Plex Media Server

NGinx Reverse Proxy

Syncthing

Bitwarden

MariaDB

WordPress Website

Nextcloud

DuckDNS

One more note, I've been wanting to tinker with PfSense and HAProxy.  I currenly have a full UniFi network setup USG 3P->USW-16-POE->AP-AC-Lite, AP-AC-Pro, US-8-60W and a couple of cameras and a cloud key gen 2+.  I was looking at this Dell R210 ii to run PfSense as I believe the chip supports AES-Ni and also I can add that NIc from the Unraid build to the Dell R210ii for more physical ports.

Let me know your opinions and if I am over building these servers.

Edited by MasterAssassin
Hyperlinks didn't work