Share flash is identically named to a disk share

I received this notice during fix common problems nightly scan last night.

On my main unRaid Web UI if I click "flash" it's shared out as flash via SMB with a specific user having read/write access to it. 

I do not see anything relating to a disk share called flash so I'm lost :)

The description says to come to the forums for assistance too!

While there *may be* (doubtful) valid use cases for having a share named identically to a disk share, this is only going to cause some confusion as if disk shares are enabled, then you will have duplicated share names, and possibly if disk shares are not enabled, then you might not be able to gain access to the share. This is usually caused by moving the contents of one disk to another (XFS Conversion?) and an improperly placed slash. The solution is to move the contents of the user share named flash to be placed within a validly named share. Ask for assistance on the forums for guidance on doing this.

Do you have a User Share called ‘flash’?   That message suggests you may have.  Disk shares are any share that refers to a physical drive whereas Use shares will refer to top level folders on a physical drive.    It is possible to accidentally create a User Share by creating a top level folder on any drive where the folder name becomes the name of a User Share.

if you provide your system’s diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics) it would give us a better idea of how your system is actually configured and thus provide more informed feedback.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Do you have a User Share called ‘flash’?   That message suggests you may have.  Disk shares are any share that refers to a physical drive whereas Use shares will refer to top level folders on a physical drive.    It is possible to accidentally create a User Share by creating a top level folder on any drive where the folder name becomes the name of a User Share.

if you provide your system’s diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics) it would give us a better idea of how your system is actually configured and thus provide more informed feedback.

So here's some screenshots to show my current config first.

Diag also attached though!

Flash Device itself - note SMB share is "flash"

image.png.61719a7a1360a40bcc4e24bb94db82a3.png

Then my user/disks shares

image.thumb.png.2f4cdbf972e15965b0052d62a10ac775.png

Note you can see none of these start wth "f" so none are named flash.

No disk shares exist.

But if I browse to /mnt/user/ there's a folder there called flash which is empty? 

I'm guessing this is actually my problem? 

image.png.f6b181692cee4385b31296f37f23a043.png

If that's the problem as I safe to just 

rm -rf /mnt/user/flash/

?

Thanks.

PS - I've also attached my diagnostics zip file if that's still needed beyond these screenshots.

server-diagnostics-20201108-1319.zip

Edited by CorneliousJD
5 hours ago, itimpi said:

There definitely should not be a folder called ‘flash’ under /mnt/user.    Any idea what might have created it?

Not really, I thought it was always there and empty for quite a while now, because I remember seeing it when setting up Duplicati backups on my /mnt/user share.

I DO have Duplicacy setup now for the following paths.

Host /mnt/user/ > Container /data/

Host /boot/ > Container /data/flash/

So to the CONTAINER this shows up like /mnt/user/share but it's only because I have it mapped that way. 

This shouldn't actually place that folder in the /mnt/user share should it? I can easily mount it differently and edit the backup jobs pretty quickly if needed.

Since the folder is empty can I just rm

rm -rf /mnt/user/flash

And then restart the Duplicacy container and see if that re-creates it?

7 hours ago, CorneliousJD said:

rm -rf /mnt/user/flash

That should be fine.    If it re-appears then you have something configured to recreate it.     You certainly do not want it to be present as it would get in the way of accessing the flash drive over the network.

11 hours ago, CorneliousJD said:

Not really, I thought it was always there and empty for quite a while now, because I remember seeing it when setting up Duplicati backups on my /mnt/user share.

I DO have Duplicacy setup now for the following paths.

Host /mnt/user/ > Container /data/

Host /boot/ > Container /data/flash/

So to the CONTAINER this shows up like /mnt/user/share but it's only because I have it mapped that way. 

This shouldn't actually place that folder in the /mnt/user share should it? I can easily mount it differently and edit the backup jobs pretty quickly if needed.

rm -rf /mnt/user/flash

Docker will recreate that path everytime the container starts up

18 minutes ago, trurl said:

Seems kinda confused to have a mapping to a subfolder of another mapping. 

I agree, but it's the way Duplicacy web UI lets you select a top level folder and only add exclusions from there as a backup job, was trying to get my important user shares, plus flash drive all done in one backup job, but I can easily split this off into its own folder instead of being a subfolder of the other mapping since it should fix the issue. Will test and report back :)