Will this unRAID with ECC? Build equipment.

After more reading I have started the build. I see much recommendation for Intel, however reading on quite a few AMD sites I see that the AM4 is supporting ECC.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...hat-Support-ECC-Mode-with-Ryzen-(ECC-Enabled)

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_confirms_that_ryzen_supports_ecc_memory/1

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/

So with this info, I have started the AMD build.

MB:
ASRock Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450 Gaming-ITX/AC) ECC Unbuffered max capacity 32GB

CPU:
AMD Athlon 3000G 2-Core, 4-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Radeon Graphics

Memory:
Kingston KSM26ES8/8ME ValueRAM 8GB 2666MHz ECC Unbuffered DDR4

PSU:
SilverStone 500W SFX Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold

CASE:
Fractal Design NODE 304 Black Mini ITX Case

Drives:
(4x) Seagate IronWolf NAS 4TB HDD, ST4000VN008 (storage / parity)
(1x) Kingston A400 120GB SSD (boot drive)
(1x) Kingston A400 120GB SSD (cache drive)

10GB Network:
ASUS XG-C100C 10G PCI-E Network Adapter HT

So the question with my equipment, will this unRAID? This will be a NAS system for backing up my wedding photography and videography work connected to my main PC.

45 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

May ref. below post.

Or best got R7 pro 4750g , R5 PRO 4650g ( If you need APU )

Would I have been better off sticking with the AM4 200GE? The reason I was looking at these was affordability.  Build an affordable and expandable system in AND AM4 ITX form factor (as I already had the ITX board noticing it is ECC ready), and still work out slightly cheaper than buying a bigger purpose built NAS. Also knowing I built it gives that little bit more satisfaction. 

If the R7 PRO and R5 PRO are my only options then I have to work out a way to afford the additional cost.  

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Would I have been better off sticking with the AM4 200GE? The reason I was looking at these was affordability.  Build an affordable and expandable system in AND AM4 ITX form factor (as I already had the ITX board noticing it is ECC ready), and still work out slightly cheaper than buying a bigger purpose built NAS. Also knowing I built it gives that little bit more satisfaction. 

If the R7 PRO and R5 PRO are my only options then I have to work out a way to afford the additional cost.  

It really depends on the CPU power you need, my previous ITX main PC ( Windows ) was 2400G with 10G NIC, it work well.

For RAM, simple use non-ECC would fine. I never use ECC, so I have flexibility swap module between different platform.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

It really depends on the CPU power you need, my previous ITX main PC ( Windows ) was 2400G with 10G NIC, it work well.

For RAM, simple use non-ECC would fine. I never use ECC, so I have flexibility swap module between different platform.

I don't think I would be needing massive CPU power as I will simply be using this as a backup storage NAS solution for my wedding photography work. This will be backing up my local drive client media drive on my main PC. So will the 3000G and mentioned RAM suffice for an ECC build?

Many thanks for your response

Edited by [email protected]

Just browsing this sub and noticed this thread.I run ECC in my Ryzen Build. Maybe I can help?

My setup, all details in my signature. I did a lot of web-searches and reading to pick this motherboard, and it seems to work very well.

The RAM I use is MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1. Just google that product ID for more info. 👍

Everything is running in Multi-bit ECC and works great.

I run my virtualised daily desktop and VR gaming PC from this.

If you have any questions, I can try to answer.

• Like 1