[SOLVED] setup problems / no luck after days

Let me first say that while I am completely new to UNRAID, I'm very experienced with computer hardware, building, setups, linux distros, freenas etc. 

I do not have any syslog info because I'm apparently insane or suffering a nervous breakdown. 

I can not get unraid to boot to any gui on my supermicro x11ssz-tln4f server. i can't get it to show up in a browser on a computer that's wired to my network, or from any wireless device. i tried 'http://tower/" and "http://tower.local" and no dice. can't get to a web gui. 

I have my motherboard set to UEFI and have configured the 16Gb Usb 3.0 Sandisk USB stick to boot to UEFI and use a DHCP server, which is what I use with my netgear Nighthawk router.

one strange thing is that when i look at the boot process of unraid, where i would normally hope to see a local "192.168.x.x" ip address, i see one that is very different - "168.254.114.187"

I'm at my wits end. Please help me be less uninformed and desperate. :)

unraid_ip.jpg

Tried the beta but still strange ip configuration. Moved my network cables to different ports on the motherboard, just to see if it made a difference and it did not. Went into the bios setup and re-enabled PXE boot just to see if that might force an 'awakening' of the network adapters. Can't boot to the gui either, I think I might add an aftermarket nic and see if that does anything different. 

Same issues as before, removed all network cables from my motherboard onboard nics, And added a TP Link gigabit network card to the top PCI slot and still nothing. By “nothing”, I mean I can’t boot to a GUI and when I login to UNRAID at the console, I get the strange outside IP address is my IP V4 address. 169.254....  I also have a IPMI on the motherboard and it registers as “192.168.1.90” and is always seen in my network. Attached to a four port hub, same as the IPMI cable. Maybe I’ll switch cables, who knows...

I have. I also have a windows 10 installation that works just fine. It’s on an m.2 AIC So that I can put it in and pull it out to test. Just for the heck of it I’ll test it again. I’m also using Netgear home plug extenders, so I’m going to plug directly into the back of the router and try that. So I’ll cut out the hub and the netgear device. I also read on some other thread that one guy remedied the problem by rebooting the router. I’ve done that and it didn’t make a difference. I’ve also seen that there are some commands to get the status of the Internet stuff from the command line that I was going to try.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] setup problems / no luck after days