[SUPPORT] Spants photostructure template

****** Please use the Official Template for Photostructure instead of this one *******

A template for the official Photostructure docker.

(let me know if it needs any tweaks)

On the settings - pay attention to the option to leave photos in original location or to copy them to the new library location.

Edited by spants
update

Something like this could become very useful with Google Photos changing. Do you know if they intend to have mobile upload, sharing, etc? Seems like the use case is more for a professional (?) who backs up from a memory card to a directory on the server. Don't see a single file upload so I guess you have to find a way to get everything into the monitored directories.

Edited by scud133b

A couple of people were looking at the app so I thought that it would be worthwhile helping with a template. I have just used it to scan 10,000 photos and it will index them by date etc.
Looks ok to browse through your collection but doesnt seem to have photo recognition.

On 11/13/2020 at 4:50 PM, scud133b said:

Something like this could become very useful with Google Photos changing. Do you know if they intend to have mobile upload, sharing, etc? Seems like the use case is more for a professional (?) who backs up from a memory card to a directory on the server. Don't see a single file upload so I guess you have to find a way to get everything into the monitored directories.

I currently have 2 instances of icloudpd running (one for my iphone and one for my wife's) downloading pictures to my server and using photostructure to serve them out.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:27 PM, SohailS said:

This container stops my drives going to sleep is there anyway to stop this?

PhotoStructure periodically runs health checks that include a bunch of system and internal diagnostic tests, including round-trip database writes, which, unfortunately, will keep your cache volume and library volume spinning.

I guess if there hasn't been web traffic for, say, N minutes, and there hasn't been a sync for M minutes, it could go into "hibernation" mode?

I'll think about this some more, it should be doable.

Edited by mrm
  • Like 1

Before you start tinkering with this, maybe some info on "how unraid works under the hood" is in order...

...due to the unique architecture in unRaid, there is no need to find out if there is traffic or sync events by the app and then have the app take action accordingly.

IMHO in unraid, most people using Apps in docker or VMs do force their installation onto the cache pool (which is in 99% of all cases based on fast SSDs) and are happy with it, that these will normally not go sleep...ever.

This is however different from the large data array and their (spinning) disks.

Unraid itself will see to it, that if there is no access for a certain time, these can go to sleep.

So for your App, the tree structure in use is important, that can be mapped into the docker.

The files or their folders, where there is frequent activity, also based on maintenance, garbage collection and such, should be clearly identifiable/named, so they can be mapped from folders residing on a cache pool.

The "real" photo/pics/content files should reside in other folder(s) in the tree, so the can be mapped to an unraid share, residing on / accross the array disks.

These folders should only be touched by the App when there is "user activity".

...my 2 cents.

Edited by Ford Prefect
  • Like 1

Quick one, does anyway understand this error message...

{"ts":1605842460524,"l":"error","ctx":"SyncFileService","msg":"isUnhealthy()","meta":{"result":true,"ok":["Library and support directories are OK","RSS memory used by sync-file (730 MB) is OK"],"warn":[],"bad":["Used memory used by sync-file (560 MB) is high"],"fail":[]}}

I do have an extremely large library but never get further than 100k images imported. My unraid machine has 32gb of ram.

Massive thanks in advance.

Not sure I see the point of this application. There's no upload feature, no sync feature, no way to organize files that I can find, no way to delete pictures, etc... this is strictly a static photo viewer from what I can tell? It's kind of nice, interface wise, but really has very little point. What am I missing?

On 11/19/2020 at 6:17 AM, Ford Prefect said:

Before you start tinkering with this, maybe some info on "how unraid works under the hood" is in order...

...due to the unique architecture in unRaid, there is no need to find out if there is traffic or sync events by the app and then have the app take action accordingly.

Ah. I think it might be simpler for health checks to just be disable-able, then. I'll add those settings in the next alpha release. Thank you for your help!

On 11/19/2020 at 7:34 PM, [email protected] said:

Quick one, does anyway understand this error message...

{"ts":1605842460524,"l":"error","ctx":"SyncFileService","msg":"isUnhealthy()","meta":{"result":true,"ok":["Library and support directories are OK","RSS memory used by sync-file (730 MB) is OK"],"warn":[],"bad":["Used memory used by sync-file (560 MB) is high"],"fail":[]}}

I do have an extremely large library but never get further than 100k images imported. My unraid machine has 32gb of ram.

Massive thanks in advance.

PhotoStructure runs a cluster of sync-file processes (both to isolate memory leaks and to support concurrent file imports), so those messages shouldn't cause the import to break: just for that process to be recycled (and a new sync-file to be spawned).

If your sync is getting "stuck", could you follow these steps and email me your logs?

11 hours ago, Naonak said:

There's no upload feature

I currently recommend to my beta users that they use a sync tool on their phone.

no sync feature

Your PhotoStructure library should mirror what you've got on your filesystem. See https://photostructure.com/about/v-0-9/#-scan-path-improvements for details.

no way to organize files

Perhaps you missed this? https://photostructure.com/getting-started/automatic-library-organization/

If you meant keyword or other metadata editing, then yes, that is missing, and on my todo list.

Been using lychee which is good, but looking for something that is a little different.  So I'm going to give this a shot.  Are you required to sign up or is installing the docker enough?  I have a lot of short videos with my pictures.  Any chance a video player function gets added?

Just noticed, unraid docker requires a commercial license for photostructure?  How much is that going to cost? And is it a one-time charge or reoccurring cost?

Edited by eds
licencing fee

Upon reboot, photostructure won't start anymore:

{"fatal":true,"exit":true,"status":12,"pid":13,"ppid":6,"error":"Library.setup() failed¹: Error: Library is already opened by 66eeaf175a5a (sync:194) (library setup)¹⁶²"}

Deleting the Library & Backup folders seem to have fixed this. Is this a permission issue ?
Also, processing of /pictures takes forever. There are only 163 files in there, mixed .NEF, .xmp & .jpg files.

Edited by Zerreth

hi everyone....for some reason i am unable to get it to work....:-(

/pictures

Processing

and "your library is currently empty"

can someone point me in the right direction? logs folder is empty....

the docker's /pictures does have photos.

can some please point me in the right direction here?

On 11/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, eds said:

Are you required to sign up or is installing the docker enough?

I only ask for email so I can broadcast security updates or large version changes. It's totally optional.

You will have to accept the EULA as part of the welcome process. PhotoStructure is commercial software.

Any chance a video player function gets added?

Automatic video transcoding is already built-in. Please email me if it (or anything else!) doesn't work. support [at] photostructure.com

How much is that going to cost? And is it a one-time charge or reoccurring cost?

This has all the details: https://photostructure.com/about/v-0-9/#-this-_really-will_-be-our-last-beta-version

Also: anyone having issues with their installation, or if you find anything else buggy, odd, or confusing: first off, thanks for giving PhotoStructure a spin, and sorry if it's misbehaving for you: please send me an email with details (ideally, with):

1. Relevant details about your setup

2. What you did

3. What you expected to happen

4. What actually happened

18 hours ago, Zerreth said:

Upon reboot, photostructure won't start anymore:

... Error: Library is already opened ...

This will happen if shutdown isn't graceful. PhotoStructure does some housekeeping at shutdown time, and once it's all done, the opened-by lock is removed. https://photostructure.com/faq/how-to-start-and-stop-photostructure/#why-does-it-take-so-long-to-shut-down

I wonder if there's something I can patch in the template to tell Unraid to be patient with shutdown? Pointers would be great (I've been using and writing Unix software for 20+ years, but I'm an UnRAID n00b).

Edited by mrm
16 minutes ago, mrm said:

imgcache is only used as temporary file storage. It's cleaned periodically and if an import isn't running, it won't have files in it.

ok noted...what else can i check?

as i mentioned...

i am just getting this :

/pictures

Processing

and your library is empty

1 hour ago, mrm said:

I wonder if there's something I can patch in the template to tell Unraid to be patient with shutdown?

I totally get why you want to approach it that way, but ideally shutdown should be handled ASAP, and housekeeping should be a periodic task that doesn't interfere with shutdown. Many people run Unraid mostly unattended, and automatic shutdowns need to be handled gracefully and with as little delay as possible.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

automatic shutdowns need to be handled gracefully and with as little delay as possible

Agreed. PhotoStructure already does periodic maintenance while running, so I can skip some of this work on docker shutdown, but it still needs time to copy the db replica back to the library (which should take milliseconds, but sometimes disks are spun down and it takes a while to copy it over). I'll make this change in the next version.

Until then, though, I'll check the docs to see if I can extend the shutdown grace period in the template

Edited by mrm
1 hour ago, bar1 said:

ok noted...what else can i check?

as i mentioned...

i am just getting this :

/pictures

Processing

and your library is empty

I'd set logging to "debug" and then kick off another sync. You can also do this by hand by shelling into your container and running "photostructure sync --force --debug" (possibly pipe though less, it's quite verbose!)

Or send me the logs and I can take a look: https://photostructure.com/faq/error-reports/#how-to-manually-send-your-logs

Also, have you marked anything with NoMedia? https://photostructure.com/faq/how-to-hide-directories/

Also know that there are several filters applied to keep cruft out of your library (but these filters are all configurable): https://photostructure.com/faq/why-is-my-file-missing/

Edited by mrm
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi -- I'm a complete newbie as far as UNRAID and Dockers are concerned. It looks like Photostructure will do what I need once the photos are imported, but I have some questions:

• If PhotoStructure is running on the UNRAID server, on my iMac (10.15.7) do I export photos from Photos and load them to a share folder, that Photostructure accesses?
  • OR, for an UNRAID installation, does some of PhotoStructure also run on my iMac?
  • Ideally, I want to get rid of the Photos library, freeing up the space. But I think Photostructure wants to sync with the photo source?
1 hour ago, CEH1934 said:

If PhotoStructure is running on the UNRAID server, on my iMac (10.15.7) do I export photos from Photos and load them to a share folder, that PhotoStructure accesses?

That would certainly work. My NAS has a full backup of my computer, so it's local, but importing over a share (and even storing your library on a share) is totally supported.

OR, for an UNRAID installation, does some of PhotoStructure also run on my iMac?

No: PhotoStructure just needs filesystem access to your files, and that filesystem can be local disk or remotely mounted (or even a FUSE mount).

Ideally, I want to get rid of the Photos library, freeing up the space. But I think PhotoStructure wants to sync with the photo source?

You'll want to copy those assets to your UnRAID box, then (and make sure you have backups of everything before your delete anything!

That copy can happen by you running `rsync`, or by PhotoStructure running automatic organization. You may want to verify all the files you expected to get copied [_actually_ got copied](https://photostructure.com/server/tools/#which-files-in-a-directory-didnt-get-imported).

• Like 1