[SUPPORT] Spants photostructure template


spants

Recommended Posts

Thank you very much, mrm.

 

So I understand that once the files are on the NAS, PhotoStructure doesn't need to sync -- it is its own authoritative source. I would just update it by adding new photos to the library share.

 

After the help you've given, I'll use the PhotoStructure forum as much as possible. I'm just waiting for an SSD for the cache before I convert my NAS from FreeNAS to UNRAID.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  1. I gave it a shot, but it doesn't seem to support .HEIC files out of the box anyways.  Would VLC help with that?  I'm aware of the patent issues, but this is the iPhone default is it not?  I've got enough wasted space with JPEG/RAW pairs without enabling compatibility mode for Apple to create JPG/HEIC pairs as well.
  2. The breadcrumb hierarchy was driving me crazy.  If I have pictures from the last 20 years and I look by "When" I have to scroll ALOT to hit 2001 way down at the bottom of the page.  I expect to click on the year and select from all the possible years immediately.   I shouldn't have to scroll to see my kids birth pictures when I can jump right to his birth year.
  3. Although I selected Auto Org to see what this paid feature might mean for me, I had hoped my original directory structure would be keyword tagged to the files, but it wasn't.  The pictures in the 'cuba' directory could have been tagged 'cuba' as a keyword.  They're pre-GPS so they aren't tagged by location. Obviously ignore "DCIM*" type numbered directories, but directories with alpha characters are likely meaningful.  
  4. I don't care about Camera or Lens as categories, so I would want settings to turn them off.
Link to comment
On 12/16/2020 at 10:21 PM, thespooler said:

it doesn't seem to support .HEIC files out of the box

Nope, it doesn't, but you can compile in support. Note that Live Photos aren't supported yet (ironically, due to lacking video control support in Safari that I need to figure out a workaround for).

 

Edit: The next version will have improved HEIC support.

 

On 12/16/2020 at 10:21 PM, thespooler said:

scroll ALOT to hit 2001

Oof, yeah, I actually just switch to tiny thumbnails (which isn't a fix, I know).

 

I'm going to add different "views" of child tags. One will be iconic, so subdirectories with more than a handful of direct children are more comfortably navigable.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:21 PM, thespooler said:

I had hoped my original directory structure would be keyword tagged to the files

That is a reasonable hope! I've actually added "browse by filesystem" to the next release, which gets you some of the way there. I've also added Album extraction (if you have Google Takeouts, or have used something that exported IPTC or XMP album tags).

 

I think with the addition of new tags that are essentially "saved searches", you'll get the Cuba browsing experience that you deserve.

 

On 12/16/2020 at 10:21 PM, thespooler said:

I don't care about Camera or Lens as categories, so I would want settings to turn them off.

 

Sure: set the `excludedRootTags` library setting to include "Camera" and "Lens". I'm making the navigation bar dynamically include or exclude root tags in the next version.

 

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by mrm
added better support for heic
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am also having similar issues that others are having.  So far:

 

-Installed the Docker from the App Store

-In the settings I asked it to manually load from one folder, namely /mnt/user/Photos

-When using windows, this "Photos" folder is in the same folder as other things like "flash"

-I put both movies (.mov) and photos (.jpg).  For testing I only have one picture and about a dozen movies

-I go to the web UI through unRaid and get to the main page.  It says scanning and never changes even after a few hours (12 movies and 1 pic should be quick right?)

-If I stop the scan I just get a simple page that says "Your library is currently empty"

-If I rescan I still get nothing

 

I've done about a dozen other apps that require media from other folders (Plex, Booksonic, Calibre, etc) with no issues. Any thoughts here?  I thought this would be pretty easy but no clue why this won't detect my media in that single folder.

Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Vaslo said:

I am also having similar issues that others are having.  So far:

 

-Installed the Docker from the App Store

-In the settings I asked it to manually load from one folder, namely /mnt/user/Photos

-When using windows, this "Photos" folder is in the same folder as other things like "flash"

-I put both movies (.mov) and photos (.jpg).  For testing I only have one picture and about a dozen movies

-I go to the web UI through unRaid and get to the main page.  It says scanning and never changes even after a few hours (12 movies and 1 pic should be quick right?)

-If I stop the scan I just get a simple page that says "Your library is currently empty"

-If I rescan I still get nothing

 

I've done about a dozen other apps that require media from other folders (Plex, Booksonic, Calibre, etc) with no issues. Any thoughts here?  I thought this would be pretty easy but no clue why this won't detect my media in that single folder.

Does /mnt/user/Photos have a .nomedia file in it, perhaps? PhotoStructure respects those: https://photostructure.com/faq/how-to-hide-directories/

 

If not, I'd echo my previous reply:

 

Link to comment

I went ahead and tried some other dockers in the meantime.  However, for some reason when I removed then re-installed PhotoStructure it suddenly started working!  It looks really great.   I'll put some photos and videos in there and will continue to play around with it.  Thanks for your quick reply - no idea what the initial problem was.

 

Edit: I think the difference is that I turned the scan to automatic.  I didn't want it scanning all the drives so I specified just the one called /mnt/user/Photos/ before.  I wonder why that doesn't work?

Edited by Vaslo
Link to comment

So when I set it to automatic, it finds my "/pictures" folder without issue.  It also scans the /ps/library folder (as warned in the settings).  This makes sense as I am putting the files in the /mnt/user/Photos/, and that is what I have mapped to be /pictures in the Docker Settings.

 

However when I change it from Automatic to Manual Scan of only /mnt/user/Photos/, it no longer tries to scan the "/pictures" folder, which I beileve is /mnt/user/Photos/.  Should I be using the container's folders in the settings to force automatic?  Does this manual function NOT search the unRaid hierarchy?

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Vaslo said:

So when I set it to automatic, it finds my "/pictures" folder without issue.  It also scans the /ps/library folder (as warned in the settings).  This makes sense as I am putting the files in the /mnt/user/Photos/, and that is what I have mapped to be /pictures in the Docker Settings.

 

However when I change it from Automatic to Manual Scan of only /mnt/user/Photos/, it no longer tries to scan the "/pictures" folder, which I beileve is /mnt/user/Photos/.  Should I be using the container's folders in the settings to force automatic?  Does this manual function NOT search the unRaid hierarchy?

 

Thanks.

PhotoStructure from within docker can only access files and directories that are bind-mounted into the container, so if you want it to see your stuff, you need to add a bind mount to that stuff.

 

I may be misunderstanding what you're asking, though?

Edited by mrm
Link to comment

I tried to follow the HEIC support install instructions over here, but I catch a snag during at the ./configure step which stops the make command from doing anyting:

 

configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.15 gmodule-2.0 gobject-2.0 gio-2.0) were not met:

Package 'libffi', required by 'gobject-2.0', not found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables REQUIRED_CFLAGS
and REQUIRED_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

root@uServer:~/src/vips/vips-8.10.2# make;
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

 

I have the installed and enabled ALL available Dev Tools and Nerd Tools, but still nada. I am not sure what to do next.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, seekis said:

I have the installed and enabled ALL available Dev Tools and Nerd Tools, but still nada. I am not sure what to do next.

Sorry about that! I've only validated those build instructions on Ubuntu and macOS.

 

I actually changed how HEIF support is handled in the next version of PhotoStructure: you'll just need to install the libheif-examples package, which provides the heif-convert tool:

 

https://forum.photostructure.com/t/heic-support-for-docker-image/78/4

 

(I'll add installation instructions for Unraid in the linked page soon).

Edited by mrm
Link to comment
On 1/4/2021 at 10:56 AM, mrm said:

PhotoStructure from within docker can only access files and directories that are bind-mounted into the container, so if you want it to see your stuff, you need to add a bind mount to that stuff.

 

I may be misunderstanding what you're asking, though?

No I think I understand.  A little bit more my lack of understanding of Docker and unRaid then any software issues.  It's still up and running.  Really good though it sometimes has streaming hiccups in the browsers, but I'm sure performance will only improve as you continue to develop it.  

 

One more question - I checked some of the stuff on the site but didn't see anything - anyway to differentiate between Videos and Photos?  My less technical wife and 4 year old couldn't figure out how and neither could I.  Thanks!

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a positive feedback as I was able to install the docker on my server and to import 21k pictures & videos.

 

For me the main missing feature is the lack of authentification. Basically anyone having access to your network can openly browse your pictures.

To secure it I installed the Authelia docker, which works well with NginxProxyManager. It took me some time (had a short night afterwards ;) ) but it is now secured and works flawlessly.

 

 

Edited by whitedwarf
typo
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Cheeshead said:

Tried upgrading with the :beta tag but would not start. Is this not supported yet?

 

I do have several users successfully running the beta on UnRaid: I just finished backing up everything from my FreeNAS box and am in the middle of converting it to an UnRAID box, specifically to help support y'all.

 

I suspect the issue may be due to opened-by locks from an ungraceful shutdown, or auth issues from the new UID/GID code.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • 3 months later...

Alternatively, I'd be happy to take over managing the template: there are several things I'd suggest changing. What's the friendly protocol for this sort of thing?

 

(Also: I push :stable releases to :alpha and :beta tags to make sure people don't get left behind)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 8/23/2021 at 11:08 PM, mrm said:

Alternatively, I'd be happy to take over managing the template: there are several things I'd suggest changing. What's the friendly protocol for this sort of thing?

 

(Also: I push :stable releases to :alpha and :beta tags to make sure people don't get left behind)

Sure, no problem at all. All I did was a quick template as a favour... Happy if you want to release another and I can remove mine.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.