[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

41 minutes ago, comet424 said:

i used to have a nvidia card in there... for passing VMs  but it burned out...    and figured i needed the driver for my card...  

but i 100% never noticed any improvements  using the unraid nvida driver when i had a nvida card in for my VMs

No definitely not, if you use the card in a VM then not, see the first post in this thread:

image.png.85d869d034e7694daeab2da611e1e0ff.png

42 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and if it doesnt help vms  when  do u need the driver for unraid itself?

I would recommend to uninstall it because it slows down the boot because well, it has to install the driver on each boot.

41 minutes ago, comet424 said:

so what dockers use a graphics card?  

Depends in what containers you want to pass through your card, but maily used for Unmanic, Handbrake, Boinc, Folding@Home, Emby, Jellyfin, Plex,... (some of them need a license that HW trancoding is working)

oh ok..  thats transcoding for plex..  i seen videos i did not know u needed a driver  figured it just worked..  shows how much i know

like for plex i dont use no hardware.. i just stream  to xbox  or desktop pc..  i dont use cell phones or tablets  to watch  so i guess i dont need hardware transcoding then?

always learning 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, comet424 said:

like for plex i dont use no hardware.. i just stream  to xbox  or desktop pc..  i dont use cell phones or tablets  to watch  so i guess i dont need hardware transcoding then?

Don't think so, if everything supports direct play then you don't need transcoding. Keep in mind that maybe in some browsers some codecs are not supported and the file gets transcoded anyways.

8 minutes ago, Macleod76 said:

Video encoding is working for me in Plex. But when i turn it on for Jellyfin, my playback is very distorted. If i turn off transcoding in Jellyfin, the video plays just fine. I have tripple checked all of m settings, and i cant find an issue. Any ideas?

I would recommend that you post in the Docker container support thread for Jellyfin since this seems like container specific when in Plex everything is working just fine.

Also include what file are you trying to play (h264 or h265, HDR or non-HDR).

17 hours ago, ich777 said:

I would recommend that you post in the Docker container support thread for Jellyfin since this seems like container specific when in Plex everything is working just fine.

Also include what file are you trying to play (h264 or h265, HDR or non-HDR).

I took this there. Spent all day troubleshooting. Rebuilt Jellyfin, reinstalled nvidia driver, rebooted server many times and no luck. The one thing i have noticed is that i dont see Jellyfin in my gpu statistics when transcoding. I can see plex. Is there possibly something on the nvidia side that im missing?

10 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please don't double post...

You can also issue the command "watch nvidia-smi" from a unRAID terminal and see if a process pops up when you start to transcode.

I ran this and it says No running processes found. For some reason, Jellyfin isnt triggering the video card when transcoding.

43 minutes ago, Macleod76 said:

I ran this and it says No running processes found. For some reason, Jellyfin isnt triggering the video card when transcoding.

Please stick to one post, I would recommend that you've stick to the Jellyfin thread and answer the question that I asked there...

Hey!

I have a Quadro K600 in my unraid and i would like to use this plugin for it, but i found out that it's only supported under 390.147 version, and i can't find that in the list.. Is my card not compatible or is there some solution for it?

As for now - it dosen't show up under nvidia driver page.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, DjJoakim said:

I have a Quadro K600

Nop, a Qadro K400 isn't supported, I don't think that this card even has NVENC and is therefore not usable for HW transcoding.

4 hours ago, DjJoakim said:

i found out that it's only supported under 390.147 version

Did you read that in the syslog? The driver should tell you that.

Even if I compile that driver for you, it won't work in Docker Containers because it's simply not supported anymore.

I would recommend that you look out for a Nvidia T400 (you can get them brand new for about 140,-).

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Nop, a Qadro K400 isn't supported, I don't think that this card even has NVENC and is therefore not usable for HW transcoding.

Did you read that in the syslog? The driver should tell you that.

Even if I compile that driver for you, it won't work in Docker Containers because it's simply not supported anymore.

I would recommend that you look out for a Nvidia T400 (you can get them brand new for about 140,-).

Well, i don't know if you misspelled that, but it's a K600 and not K400.

They way i found what driver i should have was going to this webpage https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/ 

and then under Latest Legacy GPU version (390.xx series): 390.147, i found my Quadro K600 was supported, but it's not under the 2 first ones.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, DjJoakim said:

Latest Legacy GPU version (390.xx series): 390.147, i found my Quadro K600 was supported, but it's not under the 2 first ones.

Yes, because Nvidia dropped the support for such old cards now.

Your card should be supported up to driver v470.103.01 (last stable "legacy" driver which supports these cards) which is actually available for 6.9.2.

Anyways, please note that your card can only transcode h264, not h265 (Source) that's why I recommended the T400 to you because this is actually a new released card that is affordable and supports h265 and is not that power hungry as the K600.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ich777 said:

Yes, because Nvidia dropped the support for such old cards now.

Your card should be supported up to driver v470.103.01 (last stable "legacy" driver which supports these cards) which is actually available for 6.9.2.

Anyways, please note that your card can only transcode h264, not h265 (Source) that's why I recommended the T400 to you because this is actually a new released card that is affordable and supports h265 and is not that power hungry as the K600.

Works like a sharm... Thank you!

Yes, i know it won't support h265, and i know it's not an optimal card since it's a bit old, but i had this laying around and i will start using this and then get me another card, maybe a newer quattro card, and i will replace it with that :)

Thank you alot for you´r help! Nice to see it working fine.

• Like 1

Hi I dont know if this is the correct place to post this, if it isnt could you direct me to the correct place. 

Currently the Plugin is displaying "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running." I currently have checked the Production Branch: v510.54, my GPU in the system is Quadro P400. 

It was working previously when I had set it up, ran for 2 months. I needed to turn off the system for maintenance and I'm assuming that the driver updated and has subsequently caused the GPU to not be recognised. Any idea on how to solve this issue?

39 minutes ago, ZombifiedSheep said:

Here are my diagnostics 

I don't see a Nvidia GPU in your system from the Diagnostics even not from the lspci, the plugin also first installed this driver version:

Feb 14 08:58:40 Daedalus root: -----------------Installing Nvidia Driver Package v470.94-------------------

Then you've uninstalled the plugin here:

Feb 14 09:01:05 Daedalus emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin remove nvidia-driver.plg

And then you've installed the pluign again here what seems to me was not successful:

Feb 14 09:12:29 Daedalus root: plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/nvidia-driver-2022.01.20.txz - downloading from URL https://github.com/ich777/unraid-nvidia-driver/raw/master/packages/nvidia-driver-2022.01.20.txz

But all of that will not work because the GPU isn't recognized by your system in general:

Feb 14 08:59:28 Daedalus kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

You can also check that at Tools -> System Devices, but as said above your GPU isn't listed there, please re-seat the card or try a different PCIe slot.

I just installed a GTX 1080 SC.  The fans spin when the system starts up but do not spin any other time.  I am not sure what all you need.  What do I need to do to get them to start running.  I am using the GPU to transcode with Plex and Tdarr.

Unraid 6.9.2

nVidia Info:

Nvidia Driver Version:510.54

Installed GPU(s):0:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

15 minutes ago, Dax said:

I just installed a GTX 1080 SC.  The fans spin when the system starts up but do not spin any other time.  I am not sure what all you need.  What do I need to do to get them to start running.  I am using the GPU to transcode with Plex and Tdarr.

Your Diagnostics please.

Also does transcoding not work or what is the exact issue

The fans strictly speaking have nothing to do with the driver itself and if the card stays cool enough the fans won't spin anyways, the default fan curve is in the BIOS from the card and has nothing to do with the driver itself.

46 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I don't see a Nvidia GPU in your system from the Diagnostics even not from the lspci, the plugin also first installed this driver version:

Feb 14 08:58:40 Daedalus root: -----------------Installing Nvidia Driver Package v470.94-------------------

Then you've uninstalled the plugin here:

Feb 14 09:01:05 Daedalus emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/scripts/plugin remove nvidia-driver.plg

And then you've installed the pluign again here what seems to me was not successful:

Feb 14 09:12:29 Daedalus root: plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/nvidia-driver-2022.01.20.txz - downloading from URL https://github.com/ich777/unraid-nvidia-driver/raw/master/packages/nvidia-driver-2022.01.20.txz

But all of that will not work because the GPU isn't recognized by your system in general:

Feb 14 08:59:28 Daedalus kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

You can also check that at Tools -> System Devices, but as said above your GPU isn't listed there, please re-seat the card or try a different PCIe slot.

I'm an idiot. Pcie slot that my GPU was in wasn't able to be used because I had taken out a CPU. Moved GPU to different PCIE slot and lauched the system and the Plugin is recognising the GPU now. Ty for the help 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Your Diagnostics please.

Also does transcoding not work or what is the exact issue

The fans strictly speaking have nothing to do with the driver itself and if the card stays cool enough the fans won't spin anyways, the default fan curve is in the BIOS from the card and has nothing to do with the driver itself.

The card is working fine.  After watching it a little more.  I notice that the fans try to start but can not or if they do they spin very slowly.  The card is hot to the touch but you can leave your hands on it.  Maybe I am just overly worried.  I will keep an eye on it.  I might even try a 960 card and see what it does.

The other thing that I thought of is this is an old Dell T320 server most current bios.  Maybe it can not support the card properly.  I will do some more research.  Thank you for your prompt answer.

2 minutes ago, Dax said:

The other thing that I thought of is this is an old Dell T320 server most current bios.

What, no... If the card is recognized by your system and transcoding works why shouldn't it work...

The fan curve is in the BIOS from the graphics card and not from the motherboard...

3 minutes ago, Dax said:

After watching it a little more.  I notice that the fans try to start but can not or if they do they spin very slowly.

That's most of the time enough for NVENC if you got a big cooler on it because the card is not even nearly pushed to it's limits with NVENC.