[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

2 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

Just Plex itself.

I'll try it tomorrow and get back to you :)

Yes because you have to restart the Docker service one time when you are installing the drivers that way.

That has nothing to do with Plex and you also don't have to contact Linuxserver about that because the main issue is that Docker can't find the runtime nvidia and that's because you've installed it with the package, then you did a depmod then you you did a modprobe and the last step you have to do is to stop and start the Docker service one time so that Docker can find the runtime.

• Thanks 1

Hello - i hope someone can help. I've installed an Nvidia Quadro P400v2 GPU into my box (UnRaid 6.9.2) and it's found by the System (along with onboard Matrox graphics):

[10de:1cb3]02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL [Quadro P400] (rev a1)

[10de:0fb9]02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

[102b:0532]05:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

When i try and install the latest Nvidia GPU (i downloaded it, then turned Docker off then on as per instructions) i get this message:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Console log has this error:

Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 246
Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: NVRM: request_mem_region failed for 0M @ 0x0. This can
Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: NVRM: occur when a driver such as rivatv is loaded and claims
Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: NVRM: ownership of the device's registers.
Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: nvidia: probe of 0000:02:00.0 failed with error -1
Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: NVRM: None of the NVIDIA devices were initialized.
Jun 7 22:01:23 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 246

I am using a riser cable as i needed to convert PCIEx8 slot into a PCIEx16 size slot. I also have option of using a Dell riser card.

Are there any other steps i need to take (in my BIOS for example) to get this working? The card is recognised and works so i can't see why the driver can't see it? :(

Thanks for any advice!

7 hours ago, Chrisola said:

Are there any other steps i need to take (in my BIOS for example) to get this working? The card is recognised and works so i can't see why the driver can't see it? :(

Please post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box).

In which hardware do you run the card? Is it possoble that the PCIe slot delivers too less power (had this on a few Dell servers).

Also something from the log seems to be cut off.

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box).

In which hardware do you run the card? Is it possoble that the PCIe slot delivers too less power (had this on a few Dell servers).

Also something from the log seems to be cut off.

Here you go. Log was probably just my copy and paste error.

Hardware:

Supermicro - X9SCM (Rev 1.11A)
Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz
16gb RAM
Nvidia Quadro P400 v2
4x 4tb WD RED
1x 3tb WD RED
1x 250g SSD Cache
2 port SATA III card (SSD attached to it)
550w PSU

My motherboard doesn't have PCIE 16x sized sockets so i picked up an ADT 8x to 16x riser cable (currently fitted) and a Dell riser card (this won't work, by GPU would lay horizontal and there isn't quite enough room with my SATA card in too..so no go).

tower-diagnostics-20210608-0853.zip

1 hour ago, Chrisola said:

My motherboard doesn't have PCIE 16x sized sockets so i picked up an ADT 8x to 16x riser cable (currently fitted) and a Dell riser card (this won't work, by GPU would lay horizontal and there isn't quite enough room with my SATA card in too..so no go).

Have you tried the card already in another system if it actually works (keep in mind you have to install the driver and put some 3D load on it to check if it works properly, the basic display output does work most of the time even if the card is broken).

Do you boot with UEFI or Legacy into Unraid? If you boot with UEFI try to Boot with Legacy Mode (CSM)

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you tried the card already in another system if it actually works (keep in mind you have to install the driver and put some 3D load on it to check if it works properly, the basic display output does work most of the time even if the card is broken).

Do you boot with UEFI or Legacy into Unraid? If you boot with UEFI try to Boot with Legacy Mode (CSM)

I have just now - plugged it using the riser cable into my modern desktop, installed drivers and it was recognised fine. I ran part of a TimeSpy test and it worked fine on that, although the FPS was poor, as expected on such a tough test. Also played Doom and Arkham City on Steam and they worked.

I boot in Legacy according to UnRaid flash info.

image.thumb.png.c8e43c379e5aaa7e20ba512c4e6cfc71.png

So i'm sure the card works as it should, as does the cable :(

C2.JPG

Edited by Chrisola

OK!!!

So i put the riser cable into the one PCIE slot i had not tried yet, as it held my 2 port SATA card, and moved that away.

I went into BIOS and changed "Legacy or UEFI" to just "Legacy" in the boot options, and turned the Auto PCIE speed selection to 2nd Gen. I also set to prefer Offboard GPU

Dug out a mini display port to HDMI adapter and boom - logged into WebGUI direct from new Server GPU.

Seeing if i can sort this Nvidia driver out now...

• Like 1

Question - i've never used the WebGUI option when connected directly to the Server - should i try that and see if i see a picture from the GPU? 

No, this will tell you not much about the card itself but I also think it won't work because it's not recognized correctly.

My only worry is my boot options are 'prefer onboard' and 'prefer outboard' for GPU - if i set to Outboard but it's not recognised, will it switch to Onboard and work? Don't want to be stuck with a display i can't see!

You can set it also to use the Onboard one because strictly speaking the card should work anyways either way and Unraid will use the Onboard one when it's set to Onboard for the terminal. :)

the P400 doesn't need extra power, it takes it from PCIE

...and that's my guess that it doesn't work because the PCIe slot delivers too less power.

I have a 580 GTX and a 6800 Ultra, neither of which will do what i want, but i guess if they work it would help narrow down issues!

I don't think that one of them will work because they both are too old only Kepler and newer are working with the driver.

Can you eventually try to create another USB boot device for Unraid (on a spare USB Key) that you can plug in your PC that use for testing the card and boot of off it (don't start the Array or assign Disks) and register for a Trail Key, install the CA App and then try to install the Nvidia driver (this should work even if the Array isn't started and you can then go to the Plugin page and see if the card is recognized)?

If the above test is working eventually you can get a riser like that (it delivers power over to the card by the Molex connector on the board):

grafik.thumb.png.6707eab73e3cccda73fabc6042122588.png

Swapped PCIE slots and it still works, so not power related.

It was either the Gen 1,2,3 not being set right so the riser and card wouldn't work, or having boot allowed to pick between UEFI and Legacy that was the issue.

@ich777

Thank you for supporting this plugin and for your help on here, not just to me but through all the other posts i read through last night trying to troubleshoot :)

Now, to Spaceinvaderone youtube to finish my setup !!!

• Like 1
On 6/7/2021 at 8:20 PM, ich777 said:

Yes because you have to restart the Docker service one time when you are installing the drivers that way.

That has nothing to do with Plex and you also don't have to contact Linuxserver about that because the main issue is that Docker can't find the runtime nvidia and that's because you've installed it with the package, then you did a depmod then you you did a modprobe and the last step you have to do is to stop and start the Docker service one time so that Docker can find the runtime.

It worked. Thank you :)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

It worked. Thank you :)

I still wonder why it's not installing properly at boot on your system because that's what the plugin does basically.

Can you run memtest and also can you test if your usb boot device is in good condition?

9 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you run memtest and also can you test if your usb boot device is in good condition?

I'm not sure how I'l test the boot device. I'll run the memtest whenever I'm not too lazy to drag a monitor down to the rack

How do I test the boot device?

20 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

How do I test the boot device?

That depends on the type of OS do you run on your home computer, for Linux you can use something like 'badblocks' for Windows you can use 'chkdsk', for OSX you can use Disk Utility I think...

I'm really wondering why it doesn't work on your system... :/

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

That depends on the type of OS do you run on your home computer, for Linux you can use something like 'badblocks' for Windows you can use 'chkdsk', for OSX you can use Disk Utility I think...

I'm really wondering why it doesn't work on your system... :/

Ah, like that. I thought you could do it on unRAID somehow.
I've got both, so I'll just check it with whatever is nearest next time I'm around.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Spucoly said:

After updating to version 2021.05.19 I no longer have video out of my integrated graphics.  What would cause this?

Are you booting into GUI mode? What integrated graphics card do you own (eventually post your Diagnostics for further troubleshooting)?

Are you sure that the iGPU is set to the primary display output in your BIOS? Have you changed anything recently in your system or updated the BIOS?

The update is almost a month old now and nothing trivial changed that would prevent your iGPU from displaying any output.

23 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you booting into GUI mode? What integrated graphics card do you own (eventually post your Diagnostics for further troubleshooting)?

Are you sure that the iGPU is set to the primary display output in your BIOS? Have you changed anything recently in your system or updated the BIOS?

The update is almost a month old now and nothing trivial changed that would prevent your iGPU from displaying any output.

Intel Integrated graphics is set to be the primary and no BIOS changes or updates. All I get after the flashing courser is a blank black screen.

tower-diagnostics-20210616-1718.zip

6 hours ago, Spucoly said:

Intel Integrated graphics is set to be the primary and no BIOS changes or updates. All I get after the flashing courser is a blank black screen.

Do you know on what version you where previously and for how long you where on this version?

Can you open up a terminal from Unraid and execute this command:

sed -i '/disable_xconfig=/c\disable_xconfig=true' "/boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg"

after that please enter this command:

cat /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg

and check if the line that starts with 'disable_xconfig' is set to 'true', should look something like that:

grafik.png.67ddc4ffca6fb4ded3d3dd028e9acd1d.png

After that please reboot and see if it is working again and please let me know.

Hello everyone, 

can i byepass the matrox card with this plugin so i can use hardware acceleration with my supermicroboard?

If yes which costeffective card can you recommend? Nothing special needed. Just one stream mkv Container 1080p Blueray rip 2D with true hd 7.1 audio. 

Hope its not considered a double post. I just opend a post at the hardwaresection with more detail.

Edited by Roadini
6 minutes ago, Roadini said:

can i byepass the matrox card with this plugin so i can use hardware acceleration with my supermicroboard?

As what I've found in your motherboard manual you can disable the integrated graphics too with this jumper:

grafik.thumb.png.9decc86419a479ce40eeab0debf8f8e6.png

If it's a h.264 file that you are trying to transcode your Intel iGPU should be enough to do the job:

grafik.thumb.png.76f944a4c24f155fc3300fcc36fe572b.png

To enable your iGPU install the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin and pass through the device '/dev/dri' to your Docker and enable HW transcoding in your Plex settings and see if it uses the iGPU for transcoding.

The 3220T is pretty old now but it should be enough for h.264 streams, if you want to transcode HEVC (h.265) you need something newer.

Eventually a GTX1050 or GTX1050Ti should be enough for the job.

Hi Folks, 

I'm running into the following problem. I installed the Nvidia Plugin as instructed but my Nvidia P400 is not showing up. Still tough it shows up in the device list.

My System Specs: 

Model: Custom
M/B: MSI H97M ECO (MS-7817) Version 5.0 - s/n: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version V26.8. Dated: 02/18/2016
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 256 KiB, 1 MB, 6 MB
Memory: 8 GiB DDR3 (max. installable capacity 32 GiB)
Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500
Kernel: Linux 5.10.28-Unraid x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.1.1j
Uptime: 

Unraid Version 6.9.2 2021-04-07

Nvidia Screenshot:

image.thumb.png.23632bf69afaee29748de85454869f4c.png

Cli Nvidia Smi Screenshot:

image.png.afc6bd6df5739823141b82179f76b131.png

PCI Devices Screenshot:

image.thumb.png.b5e515994e285dbff19d2091dc57b37f.png

If I bind the GPU via VFIO the Nvidia settings page says that the driver could not connect to the GPU which is strange since it says the device is not found when the GPU is unbound. 

What I've tried until now: 

1. Switching between UEFI and Legacy Boot.
2. Update my BIOS to the latest available. 
3. Setting the PCI-E Slot in Bios Manually to Gen. 3

Any suggestions how I can get the driver to see my Nvidia P400 GPU? 

tower-diagnostics-20210618-1910.zip

Edited by jaddel
add diagnostics