[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Something is really weird on your system.

Can you try to remove the plugin, reboot, install the plugin, stop and start the docjer service and see if it is working again?

It's like 6 months ago that I set everything up on unRAID again, so I don't get it.
Could it be the USB stick?

Remove the nvidia driver plugin, reboot and install it again and turn on the dockers?

8 hours ago, Nanobug said:

Remove the nvidia driver plugin, reboot and install it again and turn on the dockers?

Turn off the whole docker service in the settings after installing the plugin and then turn it on again and after that check if the Dockers are working.

37 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Turn off the whole docker service in the settings after installing the plugin and then turn it on again and after that check if the Dockers are working.

That worked.

Is that the solution if it happens again?

And do you know why it's happening, or how I can troubleshoot it in the future if it happens again?

44 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

That worked.

Is that the solution if it happens again?

Do it that way again.

44 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

And do you know why it's happening, or how I can troubleshoot it in the future if it happens again?

When you reboot the next time and the Nvidia-Driver isn't showing up again then please download the Diagnostics and post them here.

I can only guess that something is wrong with the installation on boot, but you are the only one that has this "issue".

What USB Boot device are you using?

If it's a 3.0 or 3.1 try to use a 2.0 instead and/or try to put the USB Boot device in a USB 2.0 port or a different USB port on your motherboard (eventually you got onboard 2.0 USB pin headers).

29 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Do it that way again.

I will do that, thanks.

30 minutes ago, ich777 said:

When you reboot the next time and the Nvidia-Driver isn't showing up again then please download the Diagnostics and post them here.

I can only guess that something is wrong with the installation on boot, but you are the only one that has this "issue".

I'll do that.

It's weird, since I just reinstalled it all not too long ago. Is there any way to verify the USB stick?

30 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What USB Boot device are you using?

If it's a 3.0 or 3.1 try to use a 2.0 instead and/or try to put the USB Boot device in a USB 2.0 port or a different USB port on your motherboard (eventually you got onboard 2.0 USB pin headers).

I think it's a 3.0, I can't remember exactly. I do have a 2.0 for the purpose of unRAID ready when I need to replace it.

It's in a 2.0 port though.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, orybrad said:

Thais plugin is not recognizing either one of my 3060’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post your Diagnostics? Can't help without anything.

EDIT: Now tested with a RTX3070:

grafik.thumb.png.795279c589f5950eec781723f6b195cf.png

EDIT2: Tested also with a RTX3080:

image.thumb.png.26a00bdf0e4867e7931d62a3045be3b6.png

This is probably a unique request and I know it'd be impossible to guarantee compatibility with newer versions, but I figure it's worth asking anyway. Would it be possible to add a way to manually install a specific driver version? For example, currently there is an nsfminerOC container that only works with nvidia driver 460.73.01 on the Unraid host (which is the only container I know that properly tweaks GPU OC/fan settings) but obviously that is no longer available in this plugin as it's quite old. I rather not spin up an entire VM just to passthrough the card and invoke nvidia-smi, so any other suggestions? I guess manually installing an older version of this plugin would also work, but not sure that is possible.

1 hour ago, nimaim said:

I guess manually installing an older version of this plugin would also work, but not sure that is possible.

No, wouldn't work because the Driver versions are tied to the unRAID or better speaking to the Kernel versions that unRAID runs on.

You can always check here wich versions available, for example for unRAID version 6.9.2 here: Click

1 hour ago, nimaim said:

The main problem here is that I only list the 8 "newest" driver versions that are available on the plugin page to keep the page tidied up.

The next thing is that I won't compile this specific driver version for newer unRAID versions, I think you have two options here, stick with 6.9.2 and install the driver manually or ask the developer form nsfminerOC to update or find a solution why it's not working on newer Nvidia driver versions.

1 hour ago, nimaim said:

This is probably a unique request

You can of course install the driver manually but that would involve some file editing.

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, 0sense said:

I am stuck my 1050ti is showing up in the hardware info, but the NVidia driver says not detected.

Are you booting with UEFI or Legacy?

If you are booting with UEFI (looks like you are booting in UEFI mode) try to boot with Legacy mode.

11 minutes ago, 0sense said:

Legacy mode, was thinking perhaps I should try UEFI

From what I see this is a Sandy Bridge system C200 series chipset.

Please make sure that you've enabled above 4G decoding in the BIOS.

Have you also installed the GPU Statistics Plugin on your system?

15 hours ago, ich777 said:

From what I see this is a Sandy Bridge system C200 series chipset.

Please make sure that you've enabled above 4G decoding in the BIOS.

Have you also installed the GPU Statistics Plugin on your system?

I just enabled above 4g Memory mapping , still no go 

I did installed the GPU statistics to see if that would help but I have removed it and no change.

I am having this issue "Failed to initialize NVML: Unknown Error". I have 2 gpu's 1  rtx 4000 and 1 p2200. I use the 4000 in my VM and wanted to use the 2200 for plex. I uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times. When I had the VM use the remote VNC only my RTX4000 showed up. What could be causing this error?

3 hours ago, 0sense said:

I just enabled above 4g Memory mapping , still no go 

Can you please reset your BIOS, somethings seems wrong, also make sure that you've boot into Legacy mode.

Are you sure that your PCIe port delivers enough power, but it seems like it should since you've said you've used the card in a VM before.

34 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you please reset your BIOS, somethings seems wrong, also make sure that you've boot into Legacy mode.

Are you sure that your PCIe port delivers enough power, but it seems like it should since you've said you've used the card in a VM before.

Maybe not , I give up now , I ripped out the graphics card , and turned off transcoding. Ill swap the motherboard out at some point.

Says its booting in legacy mode.

1 hour ago, 0sense said:

Maybe not , I give up now , I ripped out the graphics card , and turned off transcoding. Ill swap the motherboard out at some point.

Sorry I really can't help here, on some motherboards/hardware combinations it seems to cause issues, but I haven't found out what it is or what causes this.

@0sense i have had similar issues and i haven't really worked it out myself (on my ryzen system, which i'm nolonger using). The thing i noticed is that when the gpu is in use by unraid itsself for primary video output, the dockers won't see it or be able to use it. With a little bit of tinkering you have an odd chance that a VM will work with it when exporting the rom and loading it in with the VM, but this for me was a hit and miss.

I'm not entirely versed with intel cpu, but i believe that cpu has an IGP. Are you perhaps able to set that as primary graphics adapter in the BIOS? (you might need to hook up a monitor to it, or a dummy plug)

Next to that, there is another thing that was suggested i would do, i had to turn off whql support in the bios to turn on some function that would allow first gpu detection via chipset rather than first pci-e slot, but forgot what its called. Will search for it, but maybe someone else knows it out the top of their head?

-- edit: Correction, as i had to look it up. By turning on WHQL on the MSI mainboard, it turned CSM off. Which allowed me to use the graphic cards in proper order.

Edited by Caennanu
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, luminus said:

From what I see in your Diagnostics you have bound these devices:

BIND=c1:00.0 45:00.0

to VFIO where one of them is the P2000 (c1:00.x):

c1:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP106GL [Quadro P2200] [10de:1c31] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:131b]
	Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
	Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia
c1:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:10f1] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:131b]

You have to unbind the P2000 from VFIO so that the plugin actually can see the P2000, if you bind it to VFIO the plugin can't see the card because the card is reserved for exclusive use in a VM.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, luminus said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do that?

Don't know how you did it in the first place but go to Tools -> System Devices and you should see ticked check boxes if I'm not mistaken, remove those at the P2000, click on Apply and reboot your server.

Also I assume that you have enabled Autostart for your VM enabled or started it manually since the plugin finds your RTX4000 and loads the driver for the card (after you start a VM the plugin also can't see the card anymore):

Jul 26 18:11:36 HouseofGivens kernel: nvidia 0000:81:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
Jul 26 18:11:36 HouseofGivens kernel: nvidia 0000:81:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device(s).
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: This can occur when a driver such as: 
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: nouveau, rivafb, nvidiafb or rivatv 
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: was loaded and obtained ownership of the NVIDIA device(s).
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: Try unloading the conflicting kernel module (and/or
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: reconfigure your kernel without the conflicting
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: driver(s)), then try loading the NVIDIA kernel module
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: again.
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  470.57.02  Tue Jul 13 16:14:05 UTC 2021
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  470.57.02  Tue Jul 13 16:06:24 UTC 2021
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00008100] Loading driver
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:81:00.0 on minor 0

13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Don't know how you did it in the first place but go to Tools -> System Devices and you should see ticked check boxes if I'm not mistaken, remove those at the P2000, click on Apply and reboot your server.

Also I assume that you have enabled Autostart for your VM enabled or started it manually since the plugin finds your RTX4000 and loads the driver for the card (after you start a VM the plugin also can't see the card anymore):

Jul 26 18:11:36 HouseofGivens kernel: nvidia 0000:81:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
Jul 26 18:11:36 HouseofGivens kernel: nvidia 0000:81:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device(s).
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: This can occur when a driver such as: 
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: nouveau, rivafb, nvidiafb or rivatv 
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: was loaded and obtained ownership of the NVIDIA device(s).
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: Try unloading the conflicting kernel module (and/or
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: reconfigure your kernel without the conflicting
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: driver(s)), then try loading the NVIDIA kernel module
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: again.
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  470.57.02  Tue Jul 13 16:14:05 UTC 2021
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  470.57.02  Tue Jul 13 16:06:24 UTC 2021
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00008100] Loading driver
Jul 26 18:11:37 HouseofGivens kernel: [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:81:00.0 on minor 0

I did. still only the rtx4000.