[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

8 minutes ago, leeknight1981 said:

Will have to do all that after work!

That would be super nice.

Also check if the plugin looks like in my screenshot above, the Update Notification should be in between System Info and the Download button.

8 minutes ago, leeknight1981 said:

This morning the GUI had locked up and that notification was on the screen.

Do you boot in GUI mode or do you leave a page from unRAID open on your local PC?

Are you sure that the server was actually locked up and not only the GUI on this instance from your browser?

45 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What do you mean with nothing changed?

The automatic update is a cron job between 8am and 10am and downloads the driver in the background, if a newer one is found and sends the message, doesn't install anything when the message is sent, that is all done on reboot.

But then there is something else wrong, when 470.42.01 was fine until you rebooted and now you have to run 460.80...

Can you be a little more precise please? What was forced? What does the plugin page say about the automatic update, have you clicked Update after you set automatic update to False?

Please open up a unRAID terminal and send me the output from 'crontab -e' (without quotes) and also from 'cat /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg' (without quotes).

What version from the plugin itself are you running, "2021.07.30" is the latest one.

If you don't want the output of a cron job mailed to you, you have to direct
# any output to /dev/null.  We'll do this here since these jobs should run
# properly on a newly installed system.  If a script fails, run-parts will
# mail a notice to root.
#
# Run the hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly cron jobs.
# Jobs that need different timing may be entered into the crontab as before,
# but most really don't need greater granularity than this.  If the exact
# times of the hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly cron jobs do not suit your
# needs, feel free to adjust them.
#
# Run hourly cron jobs at 47 minutes after the hour:
47 * * * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 1> /dev/null
#
# Run daily cron jobs at 4:40 every day:
40 4 * * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null
#
# Run weekly cron jobs at 4:30 on the first day of the week:
30 4 * * 0 /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.weekly 1> /dev/null
#
# Run monthly cron jobs at 4:20 on the first day of the month:
20 4 1 * * /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.monthly 1> /dev/null
0 2 28 * * /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.backup2/scripts/backup.php &>/dev/null 2>&1
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
~                                                                                                                            
Read /var/spool/cron/crontab.C8zSyX, 23 lines, 1125 chars                                                    1,1   Command

root@R720XD:~# cat /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg
first_installation=false
driver_version=460.80
local_version=460.80
disable_xconfig=false
update_check=false
root@R720XD:~#

Can you be a little more precise please? What was forced?

Yes my server locked up and shows that error in the logs and the update notification before i restarted and it showed the newest as installled as if it was installed without reboot

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

That would be super nice.

Also check if the plugin looks like in my screenshot above, the Update Notification should be in between System Info and the Download button.

Do you boot in GUI mode or do you leave a page from unRAID open on your local PC?

Are you sure that the server was actually locked up and not only the GUI on this instance from your browser?

no it loads into unraid normal not GUI mode. i do have a tab open on my imac during the day thats when i noticed the GUI locked up i clicked close on notification and it wouldnt Go so clicked main and it just sat there with three wavy lines.

1 hour ago, leeknight1981 said:

no it loads into unraid normal not GUI mode. i do have a tab open on my imac during the day thats when i noticed the GUI locked up i clicked close on notification and it wouldnt Go so clicked main and it just sat there with three wavy lines.

Try to close Safari or the Tab for unRAID and reopen it again, I sometimes also have that problem that a Tab freezes when I'm on the Docker page and it seems that the Server is frozen but actually only the browser is frozen and I have to reopen it.

1 hour ago, leeknight1981 said:

update_check=false

This indicates the plugin to don't create a cron job and from what I've see in your crontab the cron job for the update check is not created so it is impossible that your server will notify you when a new version is released...

On which plugin version are you because of the screenshot?

Having trouble getting my GPU Transcoder to work. I've followed all the steps and it's still using CPU to transcode. 

I've watched the SpaceInvader Video along with reading through here. I've tried the Plex LinuxServer Docker along with the binhex-plexpass. I believe I've attached all the screenshots needed. Also tried rebooting the server along with the plex docker

plex.JPG

dashboard.JPG

nvidia-smi2.JPG

Nvidia Driver.JPG

Plugins.JPG

Nvidia SMI.JPG

Docker.JPG

1 hour ago, mike2246 said:

I've followed all the steps and it's still using CPU to transcode. 

What CPU are you using, from what I see it is using the Nvidia card and not the CPU for video transcoding.

The screenshot from Plex shows that it uses HW but also keep in mind that it transcodes the audio and eventually subtitles, this is done on the CPU.

From the first screenshot from 'nvidia-smi' you can also see that one process is using the card (the better command would be 'watch nvidia-smi' since this will update the output from nvidia-smi every two seconds, to abourt press CTRL+C).

The next thing is that it looks like you haven't configured GPU Statistics, you have to go to the Settings page and on the bottom press on GPU Statistics, from the dropdown select Nvidia, select the GPU UUID from the dropdown and on the bottom press apply.

Hope that helps and makes sense to you. ;)

2 hours ago, mike2246 said:

Having trouble getting my GPU Transcoder to work. I've followed all the steps and it's still using CPU to transcode. 

as seen here

image.png.e2199bd2534adea825ff284ebf959b82.png

it used hardware video transcoding, so you are good to go like @ich777 mentioned, may follow the other steps he described to get the correct outputs, also u see in the bar to the right (light bar) how far the pre transcode already is and already buffered.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, mike2246 said:

I've watched the SpaceInvader Video along with reading through here. I've tried the Plex LinuxServer Docker along with the binhex-plexpass. I believe I've attached all the screenshots needed. Also tried rebooting the server along with the plex docker

plex.JPG

dashboard.JPG

nvidia-smi2.JPG

Nvidia Driver.JPG

Plugins.JPG

Nvidia SMI.JPG

Docker.JPG

@ich777I am actually having this exact issue, except I am not seeing any processes in watch nvidia-smi.  It is using my 10850K iGPU despite not having it setup to use igpu at all.  Im not even sure how it accesses it.  I see the activity in my igpu though on gpu statistics.

My trex mining docker uses my P2000 fine, as does emby.  I am not running them while I am trying to get Plex to work.

I have tried reinstalling the nvidia driver plugin, tried different driver versions, tried different plex versions and repositories.  I even tried a fresh version of Plex thinking maybe my Plex config was bad.  My VM is not using any gpus, I have tried several system reboots too.  This all used to work fine and then one day a few weeks ago it stopped. 

At one point, disabling HDR tonemapping in Plex allowed Plex to use the P2000 again but then that stopped at some point too.

My biggest issue is, when using my iGPU my Plex docker crashes often.  I then configured the iGPU correctly and it is more stable but still crashes from time to time.  I really need this P2000 working as it was stable as a rock.

12 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:

It is using my 10850K iGPU despite not having it setup to use igpu at all.

and you dont have /dev/dri as device or in extra parameters setup ?

and about HDR tone mapping in plex, check plex forums and you see some threads about it, there are workarounds howto ...

47 minutes ago, alturismo said:

and you dont have /dev/dri as device or in extra parameters setup ?

and about HDR tone mapping in plex, check plex forums and you see some threads about it, there are workarounds howto ...

No dev/dri.  I have —runtime=Nvidia in my extra parameter spot.

Hdr tone mapping did work a month or two ago on my p2000.  Do you happen to have some links to those threads?  Navigating Plex forums is a nightmare.

1 hour ago, sittingmongoose said:

@ich777I am actually having this exact issue, except I am not seeing any processes in watch nvidia-smi.  It is using my 10850K iGPU despite not having it setup to use igpu at all.  Im not even sure how it accesses it.  I see the activity in my igpu though on gpu statistics.

Can you send screenshots where it is visible that it uses the iGPU instead of the Nvidia GPU?

My biggest issue is, when using my iGPU my Plex docker crashes often.

I can't imagine that it uses your iGPU when you don't passed through the device /dev/dri like @alturismo said before.

I have tried reinstalling the nvidia driver plugin, tried different driver versions, tried different plex versions and repositories.

Why would you do that when Emby and Trex are fine using them, then there must be something wrong with the template itself.

Can you post a few screenshots from your Docker template with the Advanced View turned on in the top right corner?

42 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you send screenshots where it is visible that it uses the iGPU instead of the Nvidia GPU?

I can't imagine that it uses your iGPU when you don't passed through the device /dev/dri like @alturismo said before.

Why would you do that when Emby and Trex are fine using them, then there must be something wrong with the template itself.

Can you post a few screenshots from your Docker template with the Advanced View turned on in the top right corner?

I have tried binhex, linux server, and offcial plex docker builds with their templates.  I even tried starting fresh.  Here are all the screenshots.  I can see in gpu statistics that my intel igpu usage shoots up when i transcode, and goes down when i stop transcode.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.33.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.33.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.37.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.36.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.35.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.35.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.36.43 PM.png

6 hours ago, sittingmongoose said:

I can see in gpu statistics that my intel igpu usage shoots up when i transcode, and goes down when i stop transcode.

Sorry but I really can't help here since I can't think of a way that the Container can even see the iGPU without create a device mapping with '/dev/dri' in the template.

It definetely doesn't have anything to do with the Nvidia plugin.

From what I see try to uninstall the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin and make sure that you don't activate the iGPU on boot with /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf and reboot. After you did this the iGPU should be deactivated and Plex can't use it amymore.

What you can also do to ask on the Plex forums how to force to use the Nvidia GPU instead of the iGPU but as said I have no clue why this is even possible when you haven't created the device mapping in the template.

28 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sorry but I really can't help here since I can't think of a way that the Container can even see the iGPU without create a device mapping with '/dev/dri' in the template.

It definetely doesn't have anything to do with the Nvidia plugin.

From what I see try to uninstall the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin and make sure that you don't activate the iGPU on boot with /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf and reboot. After you did this the iGPU should be deactivated and Plex can't use it amymore.

What you can also do to ask on the Plex forums how to force to use the Nvidia GPU instead of the iGPU but as said I have no clue why this is even possible when you haven't created the device mapping in the template.

You're a fucking genius!!!!  So previously I had a VM using my iGPU, I stopped booting that VM though.  I fired that VM up and now Plex uses my P2000!  So now I just need to keep that VM up lol.  Is there a way to snub the iGPU so that Docker wont use it but my VM can if I want to turn it on?

Is there a way to snub the iGPU so that Docker wont use it but my VM can if I want to turn it on?

As said above if the device in the template '/dev/dri' doesn't exist it shouldn't be able to use it anyways because it simply can't see it.

But of course uninstall the Intel-GPU-TOP, remove the /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf file and reboot.

Then the iGPU isn't activated and the container or unRAID won't be able to use it for hardware acceleration things.

• Like 1
On 8/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, ich777 said:

This indicates the plugin to don't create a cron job and from what I've see in your crontab the cron job for the update check is not created so it is impossible that your server will notify you when a new version is released...

On which plugin version are you because of the screenshot?

The Notification is that green one time and date stamped. My server was running All Ok on the previous version. I realised there was an issue when I tried to clear that Notification as I had to click on the tab to reload and that’s when it locked up! So I’m not sure as you say it’s Not Possible for my server to Notify Me yet there it is Notifying me it’s done it and I need to reboot but before I even rebooted the logs was full of the error and GUI locked up. I’m not saying it’s your plug-in but it’s also Not my server / hardware as it’s been working faultlessly until I had that green Notification of Updated Version which os exactly what broke it last time in Exactly the same way. 

40F16525-91C4-497A-862A-C1D7F0C77964.jpeg

7 hours ago, sittingmongoose said:

Is there a way to snub the iGPU so that Docker wont use it but my VM can if I want to turn it on?

may show your plex docker run command, its pretty senseless if the igpu is not available in plex but used by it ...

either device, path, priviledged, something ...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Valiran said:

Hello, can I use this for my plex container (with a P2200) and still be able to use my 3080 with my gaming vm?

Yes.

Simply bind the RTX3080 to VFIO at your System Devices and then reboot.

After you did that the plugin won't see your RTX3080 and it is reserved for exclusive use in VMs.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2021 at 12:36 AM, ich777 said:

What CPU are you using, from what I see it is using the Nvidia card and not the CPU for video transcoding.

The screenshot from Plex shows that it uses HW but also keep in mind that it transcodes the audio and eventually subtitles, this is done on the CPU.

From the first screenshot from 'nvidia-smi' you can also see that one process is using the card (the better command would be 'watch nvidia-smi' since this will update the output from nvidia-smi every two seconds, to abourt press CTRL+C).

The next thing is that it looks like you haven't configured GPU Statistics, you have to go to the Settings page and on the bottom press on GPU Statistics, from the dropdown select Nvidia, select the GPU UUID from the dropdown and on the bottom press apply.

Hope that helps and makes sense to you. ;)

I had GPU Statistics setup as well. I thing that's where I was getting confused is nvidia-smi showed it but dashboard gpu stats didn't show anything

GPU Stats.JPG

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ich777 said:

As said above if the device in the template '/dev/dri' doesn't exist it shouldn't be able to use it anyways because it simply can't see it.

But of course uninstall the Intel-GPU-TOP, remove the /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf file and reboot.

Then the iGPU isn't activated and the container or unRAID won't be able to use it for hardware acceleration things.

Removing that file and uninstalling intel top fixed the problem.  I dont need the vm anymore.  Thank you!

Interestingly, when my 10850k was properly setup for igpu in plex, it woldnt show "video enhance load" when it was transcoding.  But when my 9900k transcodes with igpu, it does show "video enhance load" when transcoding. 

• Like 1

Hi community,

I beg your help, because I'm not able to understand where is the problem.

Just bought a nvidia 3060TI, installed. Connected the HDMI cable to my monitor.

I know that is works, because I can see all the bootup process running on the screen.

But whn I go to "System devices" I can't see my brand new card.  I just saw an anonymous :

" 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 2489 (rev a1) "  but not the name of the new card.

Tried to install the nvidia plugin but still I don't see any clear indication of the new card but I got this message :

"NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running. "  Tried to install either the latest version and the production one's and refreshed every tim.

At any change I rebooted the server.

In the settings I put into the " PCIe ACS override" : both as option

but still not able to run VM. 

I have a Apple VM installed, tried to set the nvidia card, update the settingd, no warnings, but when I start the VM, the screen is still blank. 

Is there someone that is able to give me some indicatiions ?

btw : I'm newbie on unraid, therefore all the suggetions are more than welcome

THX

really appreciate your support 

2 hours ago, cristiano1492 said:

btw : I'm newbie on unraid, therefore all the suggetions are more than welcome

What do you eant to use the GPU for?

For accelerating Docker containers (transcoding, mining, boinc,...) or for a VM?

If you want to use it for a VM then this plugin isn't what you are looking for.

This plugin is only for accelerating Docker containers (please read the bold text below the Headline in the first post).

Try to turn on Above 4G Decoding in your BIOS.

Hi and thanks for your answer

Well, basically as a newbie, I would to use my GPU for VM, mainly, but could be that I would even use for dockers ( thinking to plex, mainly )

Then question is : can be right keep the plugin for both uses ?  If not, my primary goal is VM, then, if I have to remove, I wll

Can you tell me what do you mean about ABOVE 4G Decoding ?  Where I could find this option in the BIOS menu ?

THX a lot