[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

I'm getting a failure too. Got this notification-

Event: Plugin Update Helper
Subject: Notification
Description: Nvidia Driver download failed, please go to the support thread for this plugin and make a post with a screenshot from this error!
Importance: alert

12 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Immediately after the failure notification I get a success notification-

Description: Everything done, please reboot to install unRAID v6.10.0!
Importance: normal

Not sure which one to believe.

6 hours ago, wgstarks said:

This is another error...

You can safely ignore that error, it's mainly caused because the Changelog from 6.10.0 isn't formatted the right way and the Plugin Update Helper has no other way of detecting the Kernel version and that fails.

The newer driver will be downloaded on boot, if there is an active Internet connection on boot (keep in mind that the boot process can take a little longer because of that about 240MB).

6 hours ago, repomanz said:

Just upgraded to 6.10 today and appears the plugin failed.  Went to reinstall the plugin and get this:

Have you removed the plugin in the first place from the failed download tab?

Please execute this command once from the command line and reboot, after that install the plugin again from the CA App:

rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia*

(Copy the exact command, otherwise this can cause data loss!)

If you got a error message like this while upgrading to 6.10.0:

image.png.bfbccb263eaa1930b7f551b16732fad6.png

You can safely ignore that, the plugins are already built and this is caused because the Kernel detection fails on 6.10.0

The plugin packages will be downloaded on boot (as long as there is an active Internet connection on boot).

Had some troubles with nvidia-smi not communicating with my gpu since moving to 6.10.
Turns out driver v470.94 is the last supported driver in the list for my little old GT 710, its no longer on supported products on the newer drivers.

Edited by tjb_altf4
Just now, tjb_altf4 said:

Turns out driver v470.94 is the last supported driver in the list for my little old GT 710, its not longer on supported products on the newer drivers.

Yes exactly, that‘s why I often times have to compile 4 different drivers (Production Branch, New Feature Branch, Beta Driver and „Legacy Driver v470.94“).

I will also compile the v470.94 as long as it compiles just fine on newer Kernel versions. 😉

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you removed the plugin in the first place from the failed download tab?

Please execute this command once from the command line and reboot, after that install the plugin again from the CA App:

rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia*

(Copy the exact command, otherwise this can cause data loss!)

Did this; have the same problem. 

1) removed plugin (including plugin in failed plugin tab)

2) ran rm -rf command

3) reinstalled plugin

Get the same error during install.  Results in this in plugins which I can't mouse-click on to get into plugin.

image.thumb.png.08f14e80df1435c3d807c56bbe43b6f0.png

10 minutes ago, repomanz said:

Get the same error during install.  Results in this in plugins which I can't mouse-click on to get into plugin.

I just installed it on another server without a Nvidia GPU installed and it works just fine:

image.png.7b65def70fa288878b4f77fb38e0602e.png

image.thumb.png.74d06e42bd350027464a2d0d9f41cef9.png

Do you have any AdBlocking software or something similar installed somewhere on your network?

Have you also rebooted between step 2 and 3?

Did you also wait until the DONE button was displayed when installing the plugin or did you click the red X?

Hi, I am having similar issues to the above with a slight difference, my installation seems to hang up on the driver installation, before 6.10.0 this would not take more than a minute give or take, I left this open for more than 20 mins and it did not progress.

Steps I have tried to resolve:

1. Reboot Server

2. Remove plugin from failed

3. Executed command "rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia*"

4. Reboot Server

5. Reinstall plugin from CA

6. Stalled at installing driver

1. Reboot Server

2. Plugin not in failed

3. Execute command "rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia*"

4. Reboot Server

5. Execute commands: mkdir -p /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver echo 'first_installation=true driver_version=latest local_version=none disable_xconfig=false update_check=true' > "/boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg"

6. Reinstall plugin from CA

7. Stalled at installing driver

GPU's are visible under devices and cant see anything obvious in the log that references an issue, not sure where to go from here now? Please help.

Screenshot 2022-05-19 085835.png

3 hours ago, Big-G said:

I left this open for more than 20 mins and it did not progress.

Which one exactly?

Can you post your Diagnostics please?

3 hours ago, Big-G said:

7. Stalled at installing driver

Can you maybe open up a second window from your Unraid instance and pull the Diagnostics when it's stalled?

3 hours ago, Big-G said:

5. Execute commands: mkdir -p /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver echo 'first_installation=true driver_version=latest local_version=none disable_xconfig=false update_check=true' > "/boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg"

Please don't do this... before installing without specific advice...

Simply try:

1. Remove the plugin from failed installations plugins tab
  2. Execute command "rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia*" (without double quotes)
  3. Reboot
  4. Pull a fresh copy from the CA App

I've now downgraded my test server to 6.9.2 and upgraded it to 6.10.0 again and rebooted with the plugin installed and this is what I got:

image.thumb.png.4afff2240906936a01c2bc053b0bbad2.png

Hi,

I believe I have figured out my issue, after 3 attempts (6 reboots) at following the below steps:

1. Remove the plugin from failed installations plugins tab
  2. Execute command "rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia*" (without double quotes)
  3. Reboot
  4. Pull a fresh copy from the CA App

I was consistently met with the screen shot below and never moving beyond this point when installing the plugin.

What I then tried was the following:

In my server I have multiple Nvidia GPU's one of which was bound (vfio) for passthrough, I unbound this card, and then followed the steps above and the plugin and driver installed without any issue, dockers using acceleration immediately started working however VM did not.

I then rebound the GPU (vfio) and rebooted and all dockers and VM's returned to the working state that had existed in 6.9.2.

I hope this is helpful, but definitely solved the issue for me on 6.10.0.

Screenshot.thumb.png.98c4f25f96a96bf484fbe76c39203a67.png

1 hour ago, Big-G said:

Attached

Everything seems fine from what I see from your log.

Can you try the following:

Reboot without the driver plugin being installed

Issue these commands and post the output here (copy and paste the whole thing should work fine):

mkdir -p /tmp/nvdrv && cd /tmp/nvdrv
wget https://github.com/ich777/unraid-nvidia-driver/releases/download/5.15.40-Unraid/nvidia-515.43.04-5.15.40-Unraid-1.txz
installpkg nvidia-515.43.04-5.15.40-Unraid-1.txz
depmod -a
modprobe nvidia
rm -rf /tmp/nvdrv
nvidia-smi

11 hours ago, ich777 said:

Everything seems fine from what I see from your log.

Can you try the following:

Reboot without the driver plugin being installed

Issue these commands and post the output here (copy and paste the whole thing should work fine):

mkdir -p /tmp/nvdrv && cd /tmp/nvdrv
wget https://github.com/ich777/unraid-nvidia-driver/releases/download/5.15.40-Unraid/nvidia-515.43.04-5.15.40-Unraid-1.txz
installpkg nvidia-515.43.04-5.15.40-Unraid-1.txz
depmod -a
modprobe nvidia
rm -rf /tmp/nvdrv
nvidia-smi

Everything is working now, but if this may help solve a potential issue for others, I am willing to give it a try.

Will I need to unbind (vfio) my other GPU again or leave it as is? (Before I do the above steps)

7 hours ago, Big-G said:

Everything is working now, but if this may help solve a potential issue for others, I am willing to give it a try.

What have you done that it is working now?

Others shouldn't have that issue, this is a very unique and strange issue to me...

7 hours ago, Big-G said:

Will I need to unbind (vfio) my other GPU again or leave it as is? (Before I do the above steps)

No you can leave it as it is but don't do these steps if now all is working for you because this will maybe mess up your existing installation.

These are basically the steps that the plugin is doing.

Got this while updating to 6.10.1. Guessing it’s still wrong but posting it as requested.

Description: Nvidia Driver download failed, please go to the support thread for this plugin and make a post with a screenshot from this error!
Importance: alert