[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

59 minutes ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

Rebooted the system & enabled above 4G decoding, the driver loaded fine and everything works without an issue, less than an hour later this is the result

Do you made sure that you've are on the latest BIOS revision from your motherboard?

I had some issues with the first and second gen Ryzen chips here back in the days and I think @SiRMarlon had a similar issue like you do, he ultimately resolved this by completely turning off all power saving features IIRC.

The card drops from the bus because some motherboards have pretty aggressive power saving mechanisms in place from which some devices can't recover.

You can however test what happens when you issue:

nvidia-persistenced

from a Unraid terminal, but TBH I don't think that will help.

Search in your BIOS for PCI/PCIe based power saving options and disable all of them.

• Thanks 1

@ich777 I have the bios page of all motherboards I own in bookmarks, bios is always fresh & I must test the system stability specially for the servers.

I reverted the system back to the stable unraid build 6.10.3 & I will try to figure out what wrong. could be a motherboard dying or motherboard related issue.

nvidia-persistenced:

nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize. Check syslog for more details.

anyway thanks for plugin and all the work you put in.

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I reverted the system back to the stable unraid build 6.10.3 & I will try to figure out what wrong. could be a motherboard dying or motherboard related issue.

Does it work on 6.10.3?

I have a Nvidia T400 here and it runs fine on both 6.11.0-rc4 and also on 6.10.3 with the latest driver installed.

7 hours ago, ich777 said:

Does it work on 6.10.3?

I have a Nvidia T400 here and it runs fine on both 6.11.0-rc4 and also on 6.10.3 with the latest driver installed.

I have been having issues on the system anyway from system temps, to strange behaviour in shares conflicting with the LDAP & some other issues I was noticing and can't figure where to start fixing them, so I just wiped my system clean.

I'm restoring the VMs & Dockers but need to reinstall everything else & configure my system correctly.

My system was installed i think mid 2017 and many changes have been made with lots of hardware configs, this will show if I got motherboard issues or otherwise. will update once im done, which will take some time 😅

EDIT: reset the bios, removed any extra usb devices, same issue aaaaaah... I'll probably rey placing in a different pcie slot or switching the GPU for another.

EDIT: I think changing the GPU from PCIe slot 1 to the second one may have fixed the issue. I will update this post if anything changes.

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
  • Like 1

@ich777 Swapped the GPU slot from the first to the second GPU slot on the motherboard, started the system & now normally the driver will crash in less than an hour but now seems to be working fine. I even tried transcoding more than 8 streams of HEVC 4K on Plex without any failures. I restarted Plex docker multiple times trying to initiate any failures, but it seems that all is working great.

As I expected, it must be the motherboard dying.

Conclusion: nothing wrong with nvidia driver plugin yay.

• Like 1

@ich777 I installed a 1660 into my unraid server to utilize with your docker image. I'm having an issue where the GPU registers in the system (with the nvidia plugin), but when I try to utilize the GPU for transcoding, plex just throws a black screen and never actually transcodes. Hardware transcoding does work with Jellyfin which is what makes me think it's an issue with the docker image. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I have disabled HDR tone mapping as a troubleshooting step as I saw others were having trouble with it in the plex forum. It did not fix the issue.

Capture.PNG

PacMan_UpdateContainer_Redacted.pdf

pacman-diagnostics-20220905-0758.zip

Edited by tusculumgolfer
Add diagnostic file
22 minutes ago, tusculumgolfer said:

plex just throws a black screen and never actually transcodes. Hardware transcoding does work with Jellyfin

I think then it would be best that you post this issue in the according support thread for the Docker container since this is not an issue with the plugin itself.

Please note that I always recommend to use the official Plex container, I got a few reports that some of the 3rd party containers won't work properly sometimes with HW transcoding.

• Thanks 1

I keep having an issue where the docker containers that utilize my gpu die out and then i get a "Bad Parameter" when i try to restart them. 

Docker is giving me this

Error response from daemon: failed to create shim: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:545: container init caused: Running hook #1:: error running hook: exit status 1, stdout: , stderr: nvidia-container-cli: initialization error: open failed: /proc/sys/kernel/overflowuid: permission denied: unknown

I appear to have access to overflowid

cat /proc/sys/kernel/overflowuid

I have tried all the different driver versions with no luck.

I am running Version: 6.10.3

Hello,

after following your instructions, unfortunately I can't get Emby to run. I get the following message:

docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: exec: "/init": stat /init: no such file or directory: unknown.

grafik.thumb.png.ac396e06d78bb2f0227a98ba3a836a3d.png

grafik.png.f594f246a08b026c6584fe53d4c8ad55.png

grafik.thumb.png.74cb1ae8bc16cf0754fbf99457cad4e4.png

ive been having an issue for past month or so. I found that Plex wont run when I have a GPU listed, then I looked at the nvidia plugin and it shows that no GPU is there. if I look into system devices, it is there. I tried uninstalling the plugin and reinstalling it. This all worked before, the only difference is the driver version/plugin version.

its an Nvidia 1660 Super.

image.thumb.png.c011f96827fbf66b9b0a9beb1e432c6f.png

backup-diagnostics-20220907-2317.zip

1 hour ago, TheSkaz said:

This all worked before, the only difference is the driver version/plugin version.

It seems like the driver isn't installed fully. Did you wait until the DONE button was displayed on plugin installation?

What is the output from:

nvidia-smi

from a Unraid terminal?

Can you please try to click the Update & Download button again and see what happens?

If it says that something is wrong with the driver please wait for it to fully download and restart your server.

Otherwise I would recommend that you:

1. Uninstall the plugin
  2. Reboot
  3. Pull a fresh copy from the CA App and wait until the done button is displayed
  4. Reboot

After that the driver should be installed properly and you see your GPU listed on the Plugin page.

12 hours ago, ich777 said:

It seems like the driver isn't installed fully. Did you wait until the DONE button was displayed on plugin installation?

What is the output from:

nvidia-smi

from a Unraid terminal?

Can you please try to click the Update & Download button again and see what happens?

If it says that something is wrong with the driver please wait for it to fully download and restart your server.

1. Uninstall the plugin
  2. Reboot
  3. Pull a fresh copy from the CA App and wait until the done button is displayed
  4. Reboot

After that the driver should be installed properly and you see your GPU listed on the Plugin page.

it said that the checksum was bad. it redownloaded and I rebooted. the GPU is now showing. thank you!

• Like 1
On 9/8/2022 at 2:45 AM, ich777 said:

What is the output from:

nvidia-smi

from a Unraid terminal?

1. Uninstall the plugin
  2. Reboot
  4. Reboot

I completed the uninstall and reinstall like you laid out here and I can see one of the two GPUs in the Nvidia Driver plugin again (the other GPU is in pass-through to a VM so not sure if it should show up here). I have the server diag from before the change as well if your interested. Let me know if you want the one after and I can upload it too.

tworivers-diagnostics-20220910-1756.zip

Edited by Herbiewalker
6 hours ago, Herbiewalker said:

the other GPU is in pass-through to a VM so not sure if it should show up here

Like @alturismo already mentioned because you've bound the card to VFIO it isn't visible anymore for the host OS:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206GL [Quadro M2000] [10de:1430] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Dell GM206GL [Quadro M2000] [1028:1190]
	Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
03:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fba] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Dell GM206 High Definition Audio Controller [1028:1190]
	Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

Hi,

New to Unraid I have a Dell R720 and a Quadro P2000 I use with Jellyfin, I upgraded my OS to 6.10.3 and after that I could not get the NVidia Drivers to work it did not seem to see my card any more I then downgraded back to 6.9.2 with no luck if you start the NVidia Drivers download it will start and stay on the download screen and will never give me the done button. I have now upgraded to 6.11.0-rc5 and all my problems are gone I have my Quadro P2000 back and the Nvidia Drives installed 

21 minutes ago, HomeStudios said:

New to Unraid I have a Dell R720 and a Quadro P2000 I use with Jellyfin, I upgraded my OS to 6.10.3 and after that I could not get the NVidia Drivers to work it did not seem to see my card any more I then downgraded back to 6.9.2 with no luck if you start the NVidia Drivers download it will start and stay on the download screen and will never give me the done button. I have now upgraded to 6.11.0-rc5 and all my problems are gone I have my Quadro P2000 back and the Nvidia Drives installed 

Have you any Diagnostics from where you got the issues? I really can't help with that little information.

The issue with the Done button is usually caused because it can't properly communicate with GitHub (this is where the driver packages are located) and/or GitHub has issues with it's downloads again.

Over here sometimes (but this happens really occasionally) I get download speeds of about 100KB/s and as you can imagine for a driver package of about 200-300 MB this can take a long time.

I also would recommend the next time you got such an issue that you:

1. Remove the Plugin
  2. Reboot
  3. Grab a fresh copy from the CA App
  4. Reboot

If you never get a Done button then I would recommend that you wait a few hours and remove the plugin in the meantime and then try it again.

28 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you any Diagnostics from where you got the issues? I really can't help with that little information.

The issue with the Done button is usually caused because it can't properly communicate with GitHub (this is where the driver packages are located) and/or GitHub has issues with it's downloads again.

Over here sometimes (but this happens really occasionally) I get download speeds of about 100KB/s and as you can imagine for a driver package of about 200-300 MB this can take a long time.

I also would recommend the next time you got such an issue that you:

1. Remove the Plugin
  2. Reboot
  3. Grab a fresh copy from the CA App
  4. Reboot

If you never get a Done button then I would recommend that you wait a few hours and remove the plugin in the meantime and then try it again.

Hi sorry no Diagnostics next time I will add some if I have any problems. 
Removed rebooted and all that from what I can see it never got the .md5 file this was over a day and still never got to the done button, I have also done a manual download off all the files needed and added it into the correct location with me doing that I got to a point that I could start the Nvidia Driver but then I get the no card detected errors. I did see in some posts that someone upgraded to 6.11.0-rc4 if I recall so I did the upgrade to 6.11.0-rc5 and redownloaded from the CA app and took less than 5 min all done and working now. 

48 minutes ago, HomeStudios said:

I did see in some posts that someone upgraded to 6.11.0-rc4 if I recall so I did the upgrade to 6.11.0-rc5 and redownloaded from the CA app and took less than 5 min all done and working now.

Please keep in mind that I downgraded my test server to 6.10.3 and verified that the download is working indeed, I think there is some weird issue with GitHub sometimes and certain files.

Anyways, glad that all is working now.

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please keep in mind that I downgraded my test server to 6.10.3 and verified that the download is working indeed, I think there is some weird issue with GitHub sometimes and certain files.

Anyways, glad that all is working now.

Yes thanks all working now I will keep going on 6.11 for now, I also think it's weird as it was working 100% on 6.9 it was after the upgrade to 6.10 I have started to see some weird thing happening.

But thanks all working good now had some Dockers I had to reinstall but looks like it's all working again from what I can see.

Edited by HomeStudios
  • Like 1