[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

10 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you please test the official Jellyfin container if the same happens there (you find instructions on how to enable transcoding there in the second post from this thread).

Installed jellyfin, getting the same symptoms.  Decoder side of the GPU is blasting away, but nothing from the encoder.

44 minutes ago, Jacon said:

Installed jellyfin, getting the same symptoms.  Decoder side of the GPU is blasting away, but nothing from the encoder.

So it is working but only the Decode and not the encode right?

Can you share some more details from the file you are trying to transcode?

Does this happen with every file you are trying to transcode?

7 hours ago, ich777 said:

So it is working but only the Decode and not the encode right?

Can you share some more details from the file you are trying to transcode?

Does this happen with every file you are trying to transcode?

Happens with every file...HEVC 4K, VC1 1080p, etc.

Plex mods recommend I downgrade to 510.85.02 but that's obviously not an option with the plugin.

I wouldn’t use the “still wet” 515.86.01. They were just released three days ago and as of yet ‘unproven’. Just as with anything (Windows, Synology, and Plex) holding back a bit is often a far better choice.

I recommend backing down to 510.85.02. 510.85.02 has more than enough to satisfy Plex requirements now and for some time into the future.

After you have completed the downgrade and confirmed nvidia-smi works correctly, we’ll see where you stand with it and go from there.

Edited by Jacon
9 hours ago, Jacon said:

Plex mods recommend I downgrade to 510.85.02 but that's obviously not an option with the plugin.

This wouldn't change much... Also why should this change anything? The drivers fro 6.11.2 up to 6.11.5 are exactly the same and IIRC you've said that it was working before on 6.11.2

I really can't tell what's going on on your system because for everyone else it is working just fine...

36 minutes ago, ich777 said:

How did you do it? Did you really install the files all by hand?

Yes, all by my hand.

I go to your github repository:GitHub - ich777/unraid-nvidia-driver,click Code-->Download ZIP to download .plg file and source folder.

Then click releases to download .txz files : nvidia-driver-2022.10.05.txz and nvidia-515.86.01-5.19.17-Unraid-1.txz.

After downloading all files, put .plg file in flash/config/plugin, add a new folder in flash/config/plugin named nvidia-driver, put folder source settings.cfg and 2 .txz files above into it.

Back to Unraid WebUI,click Plugins--> Install plugin-->Select local plugin file, go to /config/plugin choose nvidia-driver.plg and it will Install locally.

982645611_QQ20221126150806.jpg.f4ab892e49566faa9fc47d506732eb32.jpg

My English is not very good, don't know wether I'm explain clearly.

Edited by Stan_
clear spell wrong
7 hours ago, ich777 said:

This wouldn't change much... Also why should this change anything? The drivers fro 6.11.2 up to 6.11.5 are exactly the same and IIRC you've said that it was working before on 6.11.2

I really can't tell what's going on on your system because for everyone else it is working just fine...

I don’t know if it changes anything. All I know is that somewhere between all of the recent upgrades, I lost the ability to HW transcode in recent weeks. 

It could all be related or simply coincidental and I’ve lost my GPU. 

1 hour ago, Jacon said:

I don’t know if it changes anything. All I know is that somewhere between all of the recent upgrades, I lost the ability to HW transcode in recent weeks. 

I really can't tell why it isn't working anymore for you...

As said the driver nor the Kernel version changed between version 6.11.2 and 6.11.5 so nothing really should prevent HW transcoding on your system.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I really can't tell why it isn't working anymore for you...

As said the driver nor the Kernel version changed between version 6.11.2 and 6.11.5 so nothing really should prevent HW transcoding on your system.

So with a little more testing, it transcodes the first 5 mins of a VC1 file, then hangs, and converts to software transcoding.  I was able to repeat this several times.

All HEVC files initiate HW transcoding very briefly (seconds), then moves to software.  NVIDIA-SMI still shows the transcoding process occurring in the background, but no output obviously.

All H264 plays direct, of course.

How could I revert drivers if I wanted to before going nuclear and picking up a different GPU?  I'd even consider going back to 6.11.1

1 hour ago, Jacon said:

How could I revert drivers if I wanted to before going nuclear and picking up a different GPU?  I'd even consider going back to 6.11.1

Please think again about it, it has to be something with your hardware, maybe it's a miss configuration or a hardware failure, otherwise more people would have this issue that you are experiencing.

1 hour ago, Jacon said:

All H264 plays direct, of course.

What happens if you force a transcode on h264 files?

Oh, does this only happen on clients that use web browsers? I remember a bug in Plex which prevented transcoding working properly in browsers but in native clients everything was working just fine.

1 hour ago, Jacon said:

How could I revert drivers if I wanted to before going nuclear and picking up a different GPU?

Uninstall the Nvidia Driver plugin, reboot, reinstall it from the CA App, reboot again.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Please think again about it, it has to be something with your hardware, maybe it's a miss configuration or a hardware failure, otherwise more people would have this issue that you are experiencing.

What happens if you force a transcode on h264 files?

Oh, does this only happen on clients that use web browsers? I remember a bug in Plex which prevented transcoding working properly in browsers but in native clients everything was working just fine.

Uninstall the Nvidia Driver plugin, reboot, reinstall it from the CA App, reboot again.

I'm investigating how to run a CUDA memtest on the card to see if the onboard memory has failed.

Happens on H264 files too.

13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Maybe someone else can test it for you?

I really can‘t help, you are currently the only one with that issue and I don‘t know what‘s wrong in your specific case.

I'd like to revert to the earlier 510.85.02 or 515.xx.xx version to rule out a specific driver error but I'm not sure how to do that. Is that possible?

It might be anecdotal, but my experience with fresh updated drivers is that they're never perfect and with as many variants of GTX 10 series cards out in the market, it plausible that an updated driver misses compatibility with older cards.  It's also possible that someone may not have updated to the 515.86.01 with my specific GTX 1070 card, and I'm just the first to have problems.  It's very possible that the .01 version of the 515 driver could be buggy.

Edited by Jacon
2 hours ago, Jacon said:

I'd like to revert to the earlier 510.85.02 or 515.xx.xx version to rule out a specific driver error but I'm not sure how to do that. Is that possible?

You've said there that everything was working with 6.11.2 and for 6.11.2 there wasn't even a 510.85.02 driver version available...

Unraid 6.11.2 is based on Kernel version 5.19.17 (see here) and Unraid 6.11.5 is also based on Kernel version 5.19.17 (see here or your installed version in the change log).

3 hours ago, Jacon said:

It might be anecdotal, but my experience with fresh updated drivers is that they're never perfect and with as many variants of GTX 10 series cards out in the market, it plausible that an updated driver misses compatibility with older cards.  It's also possible that someone may not have updated to the 515.86.01 with my specific GTX 1070 card, and I'm just the first to have problems.  It's very possible that the .01 version of the 515 driver could be buggy.

This is simply not true, you can search the whole thread and you won't find a single post about such an issue with a new driver (except for really old cards where you need the 470 series driver).

The driver 515.86.01 is from the production branch (see here) and should come without any bugs and your card should just work fine, if the you are using a driver from the new feature branch or beta branch I can understand your argument but not in this case (up until now the new feature branch nor the beta branch had any major bugs which prevented a card from transcoding).

Oh, now that I think about it, please try to 470 series driver and there should be no bugs in it, this should be the most stable one and also supports your GTX 1070 (see here - click on "Supported Products")

18 hours ago, ich777 said:

Oh, now that I think about it, please try to 470 series driver and there should be no bugs in it, this should be the most stable one and also supports your GTX 1070 (see here - click on "Supported Products")

Loaded the 470.x driver and it stumbled on the first HEVC Main 10 transcode within 5 mins, but after closing and restarting, all subsequent HEVCs and the VC1 transcode without error.

I ran the internal NVIDIA-BUG-REPORT.sh and uploaded that to the Nvidia forums.  I'm going to load the 515.86.01 drivers, repeat the attempted transcodes and upload the bug-report.log to Nvidia.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/515-86-01-giving-trouble-on-gtx-1070-for-transcoding/235534

Edited by Jacon
8 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please share the link to the post.

Updated previous post with Nvidia forum link.

As of this morning, I've successfully played 7 different transcoded HEVC --> 1080p files with no problems on 470.101.03.  I'm almost a tad weary of upgrading to 515.86.01 for fear of losing functionality.  Eventually, I'll do it and post the NVIDIA-BUG-LOG

Edited by Jacon