[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

27 minutes ago, Saurabh Sharma said:

Will this work on a GTX560Ti? I need it for Jellyfin. nVidia website only recommends up to version 390.138. On my app search, nothing came up with "nvidia" so my card may be too old for this world. Does that mean it is not compatible? 

And just to confirm, I can't have this on Plex without paying up for plex pass, right?

You can look here for the current compiled for Unraid: Click (just click on Supported Products on this page), from what I've saw it's supported down to the GTX 6xx series.

Is it not possible to buy a GTX1050Ti or something similar, the are really cheap on the used market...

29 minutes ago, Saurabh Sharma said:

And just to confirm, I can't have this on Plex without paying up for plex pass, right?

For Plex you need a Plexpass to enable HW transcoding.

Something like Jellyfin (a fork from Emby) would work without the need to pay for anything.

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is it not possible to buy a GTX1050Ti or something similar, the are really cheap on the used market...

For Plex you need a Plexpass to enable HW transcoding.

Something like Jellyfin (a fork from Emby) would work without the need to pay for anything.

I intend to upgrade the GTX1060 6GB in my main system to GTX 3080 next year. The GTX 1060 will be installed in the unRaid system. Was trying to use the old card (GTX560Ti) since I figured I will learn how to use a graphic card in unRaid. Is my card too old even for VM utilization? 

4 minutes ago, Saurabh Sharma said:

Was trying to use the old card (GTX560Ti) since I figured I will learn how to use a graphic card in unRaid.

For the utilisazion in Containers it's too old because the driver won't support it.

6 minutes ago, Saurabh Sharma said:

Is my card too old even for VM utilization? 

No this should be fine since you can install a older driver inside the VM so that your card will work. ;)

• Thanks 1
I am unable to get the linux server version to hardware transcode with beta 35 installed and all the right configurations in the docker. NVIDIA SMI can be seen in the consol but the application is not using it to decode files. Anyone else having this issue?
If you read through the thread just a couple of posts above, you'll notice multiple users reporting the same issue. Switching to binhex plexpass container seemed to fix the issue for everyone so far...
18 minutes ago, Madman2012 said:

I am unable to get the linux server version to hardware transcode with beta 35 installed and all the right configurations in the docker.

I have to investigate why the linuxserver verison isn't working (btw you are talking about Plex or am I wrong).

To do this I have to buy a Plexpass since I'm not very into Plex or how this even works but I will look into this tomorrow evening, not using Plex personally.

EDIT: For now use the plexinc container or binhex/plexpass container, they both should work fine and I will report back if I have a solution on hand.

• Thanks 1

Sure, I will test out and report back.

I am trying to find an elegant way to easily use the binhix container that without having to rebuild the entire media database. If anyone has any suggestions for how to do that easily I would appreciate it.

For instance is it possible to make the binhix app data and media container mappings the same as the existing Linuxserver's container? Obviously I wouldnt change the containers mappings just the host's.

For instance is it possible to make the binhix app data and media container mappings the same as the existing Linuxserver's container? Obviously I wouldnt change the containers mappings just the host's.

I switched from binhex plex to binhex plexpass and was able to keep everything as is. Just changed the name of the image to pull from dockerhub. I'd expect that it should work switching from a different image as well.

Just tried changing the name of the image to binhix from linuxserver, it pulls and installs with no complaining but then it will not load the webui. I suspect ports need remapping and directories need changing to suit binhix architecture. I think you had more luck because you were going from binhix to binhix container and not linuxserver to binhix. I can do more investigation.

21 minutes ago, Madman2012 said:

I am trying to find an elegant way to easily use the binhix container that without having to rebuild the entire media database. If anyone has any suggestions for how to do that easily I would appreciate it.

I think if you point the data path to the linuxserver directory (of course stop the linuxserver container first) eventually everything will be there.

1 minute ago, Madman2012 said:

Just tried changing the name of the image to binhix from linuxserver, it pulls and installs with no complaining but then it will not load the webui. I suspect ports need remapping and directories need changing to suit binhix architecture. I think you had more luck because you were going from binhix to binhix container and not linuxserver to binhix. I can do more investigation.

Don't do it that way!!!!

This could mess up all and I mean really all!

Go to the CA app and install the binhex-plexpass container and point the data path to the linuxserver data path in the appdata folder and also your other paths on the host

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Madman2012 said:

I now got a Plex Pass and tried it with the linuxserver.io version and it works flawlessly.

Just be sure that you got on the Setting -> Transcoder -> tick the boxes where it says 'Use hardware acceleration when available' and 'Use hardware-accelerated video encoding'

If you don't have that two boxes Hardware Transcoding cannot work.

I tried it with a 4K 2160p HEVC HDR h265 file and also a 1080p h264 file.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I now got a Plex Pass and tried it with the linuxserver.io version and it works flawlessly.

Just be sure that you got on the Setting -> Transcoder -> tick the boxes where it says 'Use hardware acceleration when available' and 'Use hardware-accelerated video encoding'

If you don't have that two boxes Hardware Transcoding cannot work.

I tried it with a 4K 2160p HEVC HDR h265 file and also a 1080p h264 file.

Since you did a new Plex installation, do you think some of the issues could be due to an existing issue switching from the Nvidia plugin to the new Nvidia driver? Seems that those that had an issue with transcoding are ones who already had the linuxserver.io Plex Docker installed and then switched to the 6.9 beta and new driver.

Since you did a new Plex installation, do you think some of the issues could be due to an existing issue switching from the Nvidia plugin to the new Nvidia driver? Seems that those that had an issue with transcoding are ones who already had the linuxserver.io Plex Docker installed and then switched to the 6.9 beta and new driver.

I am using linuxserver.io Plex docker with unraid nvidia plugin and switched to this plugin and hardware transcoding is fine and no other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, ramblinreck47 said:

That is a thing I don't know since I tried also to switch between binhex <-> linuxserver <-> plexinc containers

But I have to say I first used the Plexinc container and there I also entered the variable 'PLEX_CLAIM' that is needed for the Plexinc container to work properly (at least for me it worked after I put in the TOKEN that I obtained from: https://plex.tv/claim).

Eventually this is the main problem.

11 minutes ago, satchafunkilus said:

I don't think it's an issue with the linuxserver image, since I had the same problem with the binhex plex container. So my guess is rather some issue happening when upgrading from 6.8 to the 6.9 beta with an existing plex container.

Do you remember if you got the two boxes that I mentioned above 'Use hardware acceleration when available' and 'Use hardware-accelerated video encoding' when you got that problem with the binhex container?

Do you remember if you got the two boxes that I mentioned above 'Use hardware acceleration when available' and 'Use hardware-accelerated video encoding' when you got that problem with the binhex container?
Yes, they were ticked before and after the upgrade. I also tried unticking them and activating them again. Once I unticked them, the software transcoding worked. When I had them checked, it was just a black screen and not working. And I also always had the PLEXCLAIM variable added.
1 minute ago, satchafunkilus said:

And I also always had the PLEXCLAIM variable added.

You have to change the token if you want to reenable it, this is (as I read in the description) a first installation token only that changes every 5 minutes.

Anyways, if the next user has a problem I will dig deeper or if @Madman2012 responds.

Other users here have no problem at all like @harshakavuri.