[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

5 minutes ago, Zorlofe said:

Lol, wish I saw this before I upgraded to beta.

What exactly?

You can upgrade to beta35 and install the Plugin from the CA App, simply follow the steps from the first post.

Or you can go to the thread that I posted above an install a prebuilt stable release with Nvidia.

That's the problem and I realize I may totally be missing something when it comes to my options of reverting and correcting things but I'm new and don't know for sure. I had already upgraded to beta35 as I had just installed my GPU and gotten the power cable I needed for it to work in my R730 and all this happened in the same time frame it got pulled from CA on stable release. Well I have the drivers and my GPU functioning in beta35 now but Samba is broken and I can't use any shares nor anybody else on our network. I tried to revert back to the stable release but didn't have any luck and I've already migrated all my data over along with all the disks and that took several days of doing. I simply need Samba working as soon as possible and now I'm stuck. Again, I realize I'm probably missing something that I can do to resolve this and don't by any means to claim that I've got this all figured out.

Edit: Btw, I'm reading that post now hoping to find a solution with the prebuilt images you referred to.

Edited by Zorlofe
1 minute ago, Zorlofe said:

I tried to revert back to the stable release but didn't have any luck and I've already migrated all my data over along with all the disks and that took several days of doing.

What is not working reverting back?

If you want to go back to 6.8.3 go to my linked post above load the stable version with Nvidia (at the bottom), disable autostart (settings - disk settings - apply), shutdown your server, copy the files from the downloaded zip archive to your USB Flash Boot device (overwrite the existing ones) and restart the server.

Then you have to reassign your cache drive (since 6.8.3 can't handle multiple cache pools but keep in mind that only one cache pool will work) and start the array, everything should hopefully work again as you know it (if you also need your UUID from your GPU download the Unraid-Kernel-Helper-Plugin - not the Docker container!).

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Zorlofe said:

Ahh I think I see what you mean. When I tried to revert before even though I copied my config back it didn't restore my array which I never changed after going to beta35. I'm going to give this a shot. Thank you so much for your help!

Yes, simply download my prebuilt 6.8.3 with Nvidia driver builtin, extract it and replace all the bz* files from the archive in the root of your USB Boot Device and it should hopfully boot, but as I said, you have to reassign your cache pool.

Please report back if something isn't working as expected.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, dotexe said:

Everything works and I appreciate the hard work. I do have a couple questions. Is it normal for it to idle throttled? And also my clock speeds are extremely low. Thanks

Is the powerstate switching if it's in use and for example transcoding from P8 to anything other?

This may be a driver issue, you can also try to enable persistance mode but this is the last thing that I would do.

Since P8 is the standard mode for basic video playback/transcoding, it should change if the card has to do more work.

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

Is the powerstate switching if it's in use and for example transcoding from P8 to anything other?

This may be a driver issue, you can also try to enable persistance mode but this is the last thing that I would do.

Since P8 is the standard mode for basic video playback/transcoding, it should change if the card has to do more work.

It switches yes to p0. I've talked to someone else and they said they ran the Nvidia persistent command to idle 'properly'. 

I just wanted to make sure there isn't an issue or if I need to try and get it to not throttle on idle. I hear it's normal then that it's not. 

1 minute ago, dotexe said:

It switches yes to p0. I've talked to someone else and they said they ran the Nvidia persistent command to idle 'properly'. 

I just wanted to make sure there isn't an issue or if I need to try and get it to not throttle on idle. I hear it's normal then that it's not.

This seems pretty normal to me, my card 1050Ti is in idle (and basically all the time) at P0 but it's actually not because the power reporting is broken that cards for some reason, the 1060 3GB that I have is in idle at P5 but it also consumes almost no power.

The power states in general are a little weired I think the reach from P0 to P15 where 0=max performance and 12=max powersaving but not all power states are available on all systems nore are the available on all cards as far as I know.

The persistance mode is only to keep the card in a certain state and/or alive to not idle out, I also read about that this mode or daemon is becoming depricated soon.

Leave it as it is since all is working as expected or am I wrong?

I just wish my GTX 1050TI was in idle it would spool down the fan. It’s literally the loudest thing in my case. Lol. 

I spent lots of time buying Nactua fans and a Giant CPU Cooler to run practically silent and the humming of the GPU cooler drives me a little batty. 

Oh well. At least the Driver works perfectly in Beta-35 so far. 😃

3 hours ago, kizer said:

I just wish my GTX 1050TI was in idle it would spool down the fan. It’s literally the loudest thing in my case. Lol. 

I spent lots of time buying Nactua fans and a Giant CPU Cooler to run practically silent and the humming of the GPU cooler drives me a little batty. 

May I ask if you can try out my DebianBuster-Nvidia container from the CA App and report back if something changes (background to this is that the container actually starts a desktop environment with Xorg and the driver should initialize the card for that eventually the fans will ramp down).

The container is basically a Desktop environment with steam preinstalled I used that for Streaming my games to lower spec machines (if you want to try it out I would recommend you that you give it a static IP in your local network - and please notice the controller isn't workin have to figure this out sometime... :D )

EDIT: If you try this container keep in mind that the first startup can take longer since it have to download the driver for the container and install it.

3 hours ago, kizer said:

Oh well. At least the Driver works perfectly in Beta-35 so far. 😃

At least one thing that works... :D

So bizarre too. I'm watching the nvidia-smi and I can see the P State change from P8 to P0 while Transcoding, but my fan always reports as spinning 35%. I think the only thing that changes is the state and the Temp, but the Speed never does.

I'll just chalk this up as a problem to solve another day. Then again 35% isn't to bad. 

I followed the guide here and was able to get a GTX 1650 Super I bought today up and running pretty easily.  My i5-10400 struggled to transcode 4K HDR content to 1080p in Plex for remote streams (pegging the CPU), but now with this set up it's all offloaded to the GPU and working great.  Nice work!

Edited by ap0
  • Like 1