[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

i read in this thread that there maybe some issues with linuxserver/plex..

i have the checkboxes activated and also a lifetime plexpass

for me it seems to run fine.. but i am unsure:

when i run a 4k movie and transcode to 1080p, the ENC/DEC Util is very low.. just 4%.. and cpu is much higher...

image.png.b6b255c8187fffbc9669e2d3f74c0b97.png

should it not be the otherway? first use gpu and then use cpu?

image.png.12d8ebcfc9973a116af5bc198525ed36.png

edit: when i give him just 1 core it looks like this:

image.png.565c6ebf95fe0b83f82a2fe4ac156238.png

image.png.678104b4518a18366f6358607840b8a4.png

image.png.1cd5eb59cd69feec2b1623caf7cea881.png

the 4th core of cpu(which is the assigned one) is at 100% and the gpu is at 37%.. seems this is very strange

Edited by S3ppo
44 minutes ago, S3ppo said:

when i run a 4k movie and transcode to 1080p, the ENC/DEC Util is very low.. just 4%.. and cpu is much higher...

Seems totally fine but I could be wrong...

The CPU is normally used to transcode the audio of the file that you are playing.

Can you try to disable the HW transcoding in Plex (uncheck both boxes), save, restart the container and then again enable both boxes for HW transcoding.

Is this the same file that you are playing and also at the same position?

The GPU transcoding is usually lightning fast and it could also be that it finishes before the audio transcoding is finished.

One side note please don't use the plugin in the dashboard for comparison, better you open up a terminal from unraid and type in 'watch nvidia-smi' and send a screenshot from the output there you see detailed what your graphics card is doing, like in the second post of this thread at the end you see also the output of nvidia-smi or at least what it should look like).

40 minutes ago, Spoonsy1480 said:

When I go to Nvidia driver in my settings it just hangs and doesn’t load I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still the same what am I doing wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What have you done exactly? Are you having a internet connection?

Have you waited until it says done and get the Warning from post one or have you closed the window with the X?

Please try to uninstall the plugin, restart the server, install the plugin and wait for it to finish so that the 'DONE' button is displayed and then restart the server once aigain and then go to the plugin page, if it's the same again try to download the Unraid-Kernel-Helper-Plugin (not the Docker) and see if it loads.

Alos the output from the installation from the plugin would be helpful...

24 minutes ago, eds said:

I know this can't be used if planning on using your nvidia card for a vm.  But what if you have two gpu cards.  One for a vm and one you plan to use for docker containers?  Is it all or nothing?

I don't understand this qustion completely but you can use one Nvidia GPU for a VM and the other for the Docker Containers just be sure to put in the right GPU UUID in the Docker template (the one that is not used for the VM) and it will work just fine.

EDIT: I would recommend that you bind the second GPU that you plan to use in the VM to VFIO (Tools -> System devices).

11 hours ago, ich777 said:

I don't understand this qustion completely but you can use one Nvidia GPU for a VM and the other for the Docker Containers just be sure to put in the right GPU UUID in the Docker template (the one that is not used for the VM) and it will work just fine.

EDIT: I would recommend that you bind the second GPU that you plan to use in the VM to VFIO (Tools -> System devices).

Ok.  I was hoping that was the case, it was not entirely clear.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, huangtf said:

Hi Guys, I cant get the hardware encoding to work on emby. The gpu was detected and and i have emby premiere.

am i doing anything wrong?

I've gone thru the guide a few times to ensure i didnt miss out any steps

Have you rebooted the server once after installing the plugin?

Can you give me the output from 'nvidia-smi' (open up a terminal in the right top corner and type the command in a screenshot would be nice from the output).

Also try to restart the container.

Please look also on the premiere tab if premiere is really enabled.

Which docker are you using? My container works just fine directly from emby.

39 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you rebooted the server once after installing the plugin?

Can you give me the output from 'nvidia-smi' (open up a terminal in the right top corner and type the command in a screenshot would be nice from the output).

Also try to restart the container.

Please look also on the premiere tab if premiere is really enabled.

Which docker are you using? My container works just fine directly from emby.

I'm using binhex docker,

I have rebooted the container and the server itself quite a few times

image.png.5621f2c25ef0ebc0cc1fe54d38fb951c.png

I'm fairly sure my license is enabled...

image.png.33b4ada90b3a62c80d3ccde526787209.png

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@huangtf can you try the emby/emby container and see if that works? Just for testing? If that container is working I have to look into the binhex container why it isn't working.

May I ask why Xorg is using your graphics card? You are on unraid or am I wrong?

Yes, i'm on unraid, I'm unsure y xorg is using it....... i'll try to give that container a try if i can.....

15 minutes ago, huangtf said:

yes, i tried, and its working for emby/emby container, now i'll have to find ways to migrate it, my registration key does not work on the newly installed docker

But it should work just fine, just be sure to stop the binhex docker and wait a little bit and try to register the emby/emby docker.

Or you simply make a post on the emby forums that you want to migrate to a new docker and your registration key doesn't work, but I think you have to wait at least an hour or so to "release" the key.

Eventually @binhex can help, eventually there is a dependency missing in his container or something else, so you don't have to migrate to a new container.

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

But it should work just fine, just be sure to stop the binhex docker and wait a little bit and try to register the emby/emby docker.

Or you simply make a post on the emby forums that you want to migrate to a new docker and your registration key doesn't work, but I think you have to wait at least an hour or so to "release" the key.

Eventually @binhex can help, eventually there is a dependency missing in his container or something else, so you don't have to migrate to a new container.

Anyway i manage to migrate the data over to emby/emby server and its working fine now....

BTW, i checked binhex's thread and found that this part was left out coz binhex does not have any spare hardware to test it out...

• Thanks 1
What have you done exactly? Are you having a internet connection?

Have you waited until it says done and get the Warning from post one or have you closed the window with the X?

Please try to uninstall the plugin, restart the server, install the plugin and wait for it to finish so that the 'DONE' button is displayed and then restart the server once aigain and then go to the plugin page, if it's the same again try to download the Unraid-Kernel-Helper-Plugin (not the Docker) and see if it loads.

Alos the output from the installation from the plugin would be helpful...

Tried this still no go when I use console and go to nvidia-smi all I get is a white screen I didn’t close any windows until it had installed

52 minutes ago, Spoonsy1480 said:

Tried this still no go when I use console and go to nvidia-smi all I get is a white screen I didn’t close any windows until it had installed

What do you mean that you get a white screen?

Where did you put the command in?