[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

Nothing more?
Seems like the driver can't communicate with your card, have you anything set in your 'go' file?
Have you got another card on hand that you can install in your server and try it with?

I have no idea what my go file is! I’m not at home at the moment and I do not have another card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8 minutes ago, Spoonsy1480 said:

I have no idea what my go file is! I’m not at home at the moment and I do not have another card

I really can't tell what's wrong since the output of 'nvidia-smi' should be something like this:

Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-30_12-36-00.png.e0704aa6a6ea1bd0c78df376dcfe687f.png

You haven't bound the card to VFIO or use it an a VM?

Can really think only of some weird hardware bug or even something is wrong with the card.

I really can't tell what's wrong since the output of 'nvidia-smi' should be something like this:
Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-30_12-36-00.png.e0704aa6a6ea1bd0c78df376dcfe687f.png

You haven't bound the card to VFIO or use it an a VM?
Can really think only of some weird hardware bug or even something is wrong with the card.

I did use it in a vm once could it still be locked to that and how can I disable that as I don’t use any vm now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just now, Spoonsy1480 said:

I did use it in a vm once could it still be locked to that and how can I disable that as I don’t use any vm now

You are on Unraid 6.9.0beta35?

Go to Tools -> System devices uncheck the boxes (if there are any ticked) and clicke on 'Bind to VFIO on Boot'.

But I think more that this is a hardware issue, are the power delivery efficient enough? Are all plugs plugged in? Eventually try to take the card out and reseat it in the server.

Figured I should leave this breadcrumb here in case I (or anyone else) brainfarts on this like I did.

I had also encountered the following problem

```
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.:
```

and couldn't figure out why unchecking the vfio-pci binding didn't unbind my GPU.

Then I realized I had followed this guide on GPU passthroughs, so of course the VFIO drivers would remain bound.

I simply went back into Main > Flash > Syslinux configuration, and under [Unraid OS], changed from
```

kernel /bzimage

append video=efifb:off vfio-pci.ids=10de:1e89,10de:10f8,10de:1ad8,10de:1ad9 isolcpus=4-7,12-15 initrd=/bzroot

```
back to
```
kernel /bzimage
append initrd=/bzroot
```

After a reboot, the NVIDIA drivers did their thing, and my Docker containers are now using the GPU. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Moka said:

IS the plugin still available in the app? I can't find it.

This plugin is for Unraid v6.9.0 beta35+, but you have to upgrade to beta35 first to see it.

If you are on v6.8.3 you can use this (prebuilt images are in the first post on the bottom):

Just wonder what is wrong I have hw encoding working but not hw decoding. I was on binhex/plex but switched to the binhex/plexplass. But keep in mind I've only been using Unraid for just over a month so I'm still a noob. I thought about trying a Emby docker to see if that works for both transcodes. Any help would be appreciated.                            

Gpu.PNG

Graph.PNG

Plex.PNG

Plex2.PNG

Settings.PNG

16 minutes ago, Whatupdays said:

Just wonder what is wrong I have hw encoding working but not hw decoding. I was on binhex/plex but switched to the binhex/plexplass. But keep in mind I've only been using Unraid for just over a month so I'm still a noob. I thought about trying a Emby docker to see if that works for both transcodes. Any help would be appreciated.                            

Can you give me the outpur from 'nvidia-smi' while transocding a file?

Have you also tried another file? Ebentually the card can't decode the file because the codec isn't supported.

Hello,

Thanks for this great plugin, installation was a no-brainer and my old P2000 can be used to transcode (Plex) and compute (F@H) without any problem with recent Nvidia drivers 455.38.

But, the geek I am is now the happy owner of a brand new RTX 3060ti, which was delivered today. And, as you certainly know, this GPU needs drivers v455.45.01 released on 2020/11/17 to be supported.

Although I'm sure you've already guessed the question, is there any plan to make this version of the nvidia drivers rapidly available through the plugin, so that the card doesn't remain in its box for too long 😉?

And more generally, how do you envisage the availability of the latest drivers in the future, especially after the launch of a new GPU and the unavoidable drivers' debugging to follow?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS : I had a look at your other Kernel Helper/Builder plugin, which may be a solution to get the latest nvidia drivers installed (?), but I would then need some further guidance. I'm not a total noob, but not a Linux kernel builder expert at all !

Edited by Gnomuz
2 hours ago, Gnomuz said:

I am is now the happy owner of a brand new RTX 3060ti, which was delivered today. And, as you certainly know, this GPU needs drivers v455.45.01 released on 2020/11/17 to be supported.

Although I'm sure you've already guessed the question, is there any plan to make this version of the nvidia drivers rapidly available through the plugin, so that the card doesn't remain in its box for too long 😉?

Please note that I only provide the Plugin, @limetech builds and provides the drivers itself.

2 hours ago, Gnomuz said:

And more generally, how do you envisage the availability of the latest drivers in the future, especially after the launch of a new GPU and the unavoidable drivers' debugging to follow?

I think when Unraid reaches 6.9.x stable that the drivers are updated frequently if a new driver is released by Nvidia.

I can theoretically build you the driver v455.45.01 and you could insert it into the plugin but this is more of a hack and not how it should work.

18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I can theoretically build you the driver v455.45.01 and you could insert it into the plugin but this is more of a hack and not how it should work.

Thks for the quick reply !

I hadn't understood @limetechwas the driver provider, so my question was more for them, I think.

And yes, I would really like to test the card, just to check whether it's DOA ot not, so I'm ready to try the "hack" you seem to propose.