[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can it be that you have PiHole or something installed in your network?

The Plugin page just shows a empty page (when you click on the Nvidia-Driver symbol)?

EDIT: Anyways wouldn't it be better to use the Intel iGPU for this (no restriction of HW transconding streams).

I do have PiHole running, although it has been disabled a few times when I tried with the same result. I do get the empty page you mentioned. I can look elsewhere on my network and see if it is getting blocked. I didn't give the network a thought while troubleshooting. I am also going to look into the Intel iGPU and see how to enable that. I was just going down the Nvidia path because I have the card installed and that's how I did it in the past. 

2 minutes ago, unixdork said:

I can look elsewhere on my network and see if it is getting blocked.

This was only a thought and possibly have nothing to do with the network.

3 minutes ago, unixdork said:

I am also going to look into the Intel iGPU and see how to enable that.

That's pretty simple add the device '/dev/dri' to the container and it should work fine (eventually you have to set the permissions right first on Unraid itself).

3 minutes ago, unixdork said:

I was just going down the Nvidia path because I have the card installed and that's how I did it in the past.

The output of 'nvidia-smi' should take only 1 or 2 seconds to show up.

Is the card working in another system?

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

That's pretty simple add the device '/dev/dri' to the container and it should work fine (eventually you have to set the permissions right first on Unraid itself).

In the past I used intel quick sync, and in addition I had to have this in my "go" file:

# Setup Intel HW pass-through for Plex transcoding
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

• Thanks 1

Hey together,

the HW transcoding with plex is running perfectly fine after the server had a fresh boot. Normally my server goes to standby when there are was no hdd activity for a certain time. After resume from standby HW transcoding isn't working anymore. Any hints, tipps to solve this issue?

Did you need some log files?

Best regards

6 minutes ago, ph0b0s101 said:

After resume from standby HW transcoding isn't working anymore. Any hints, tipps to solve this issue?

What card do you own?

This was also discused a few pages back for a P2200 and we never solved this.

Anyways for the P2200 this is a pretty standard behavoir as we discovered.

M

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

I have to investigate further but I don't think it will work because no X process is waking up the card from sleep so the hw transcoding can't work after wake up.

Hm maybe there is a shell command which can wake up the card? So I am using the sleep plugin (Dynamix S3 Sleep) where you are able to put some custom commands before and after sleep. What do you think about this?

What I have found so far is only this, but I think it will not help at all because we are using unraid, right?
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/solution-for-nvidia-sleep-wake-issue-in-linux/110911

Edited by ph0b0s101
Added Link
44 minutes ago, ph0b0s101 said:

Hm maybe there is a shell command which can wake up the card?

Not one that I'm aware of, but it may be that there exist a command out there...

From what I've researched back then this is a common issue and could also depend on the combination of your card/motherboard... Click

You can try to add this to your syslinux configuration but this can also have other negaitve side effects:

acpi_rev_override=1 acpi_osi=Linux nouveau.modeset=0 pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1 nouveau.runpm=0 mem_sleep_default=deep

29 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Not one that I'm aware of, but it may be that there exist a command out there...

From what I've researched back then this is a common issue and could also depend on the combination of your card/motherboard... Click

You can try to add this to your syslinux configuration but this can also have other negaitve side effects:

acpi_rev_override=1 acpi_osi=Linux nouveau.modeset=0 pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1 nouveau.runpm=0 mem_sleep_default=deep

Hi ich777,

thank you for sharing your researched informaition. Unfortunately the code for syslinux configuration did not resolve the issue. Seems to be a show stopper for my unraid plex hw transcoding project, because i am not willing to run the server 24/7.

1 hour ago, ph0b0s101 said:

Hi ich777,

thank you for sharing your researched informaition. Unfortunately the code for syslinux configuration did not resolve the issue. Seems to be a show stopper for my unraid plex hw transcoding project, because i am not willing to run the server 24/7.

If this is the case, is there a reason that you cannot shutdown the server at a desired time and then set it to auto-power on at another time?   This is how I have my server setup that never seemed to sleep reliably.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

May I ask what hardware are you running?

Of course. Seems to be the easiest to drop my geizhals shopping list (its public) - https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-989218

41 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If this is the case, is there a reason that you cannot shutdown the server at a desired time and then set it to auto-power on at another time?   This is how I have my server setup that never seemed to sleep reliably.

This is a possibility, but not my favorite approche. So far I have absolutly no problems with the s3 sleep plugin, which works perfectly fine for a long time now and fits my needs the best. I can easily start the server via my telegram bot or via App, voice etc. So the server runs normally when I use them and the other time the server is in sleep and saves energy.

Edited by ph0b0s101
Forgot the link to hardware components.

Running into errors trying to transcode with Linuxserver Plex container, unRAID 6.9.0-rc2, and an Nvidia p2000.

When transcoding via Hardware using Plex, the stream will hang on a black screen until timing out.

Have rebooted multiple times; enabled, disabled, and re-enabled hardware transcode in Plex; all containers are updated to latest versions.

The GPU also doesn't show up in the Dashboard tab, though I'm unsure if it's supposed to.

image.thumb.png.3b534d6a65bfddea0951409f37a40b56.png

image.thumb.png.13afc922d6cf65fc41ac25a6b54581d9.png

image.png.a8dca148f7d6e9242e81f33b36e6d26d.png

image.thumb.png.3cf5a90dc899a36ce99b6ad450633ec8.png

Edited by theradiostar
7 minutes ago, theradiostar said:

When transcoding via Hardware using Plex, the stream will hang on a black stream until timing out.

Can you also try to add the Nvidia Capabilities as mentioned in post two in this thread?

Can you eventually try to use the plexinc/pms-docker docker for testing purposes? For many people it solved the problem.

One thing to note your Card is correctly recognized and should work perfectly fine.

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you also try to add the Nvidia Capabilities as mentioned in post two in this thread?

Can you eventually try to use the plexinc/pms-docker docker for testing purposes? For many people it solved the problem.

One thing to note your Card is correctly recognized and should work perfectly fine.

I will try that. Have tried both the Linuxserver and Binhex-Plexpass containers so far; same issue. I'll try plexinc/pms-docker and report back.

47 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Trying with plexinc/pms-docker -- no dice, same problem.

I started a direct stream, then changed playback to 720p to force a transcode. Plex Dashboard doesn't seem to recognize the resolution change, and the playback hangs at a black screen before eventually timing out.

image.png.a6a56eb75899fe8ded9a3b1179fac49b.png

Official Plex Media docker settings:

image.thumb.png.de187b946747e764458143fa9a01be0a.png

EDIT: I've managed to get it to attempt to use hardware acceleration, but it still hangs on a black screen.

image.png.ae0b4c20a49e3a6985076995d8deefb1.png

Here's the specific timeout error:

image.png.6dfc41b4ce7b84a1f298c11cf9b87443.png

Edited by theradiostar
12 minutes ago, theradiostar said:

I started a direct stream, then changed playback to 720p to force a transcode.

Is direct play even working?

Can you try to disable HW transcoding in general and try if you can transcode the file in software to let's say 720p?

EDIT: Does the transcode with the P2000 ever worked? If so on what Unraid version where you before?

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is direct play even working?

Can you try to disable HW transcoding in general and try if you can transcode the file in software to let's say 720p?

EDIT: Does the transcode with the P2000 ever worked? If so on what Unraid version where you before?

Yes; direct play works fine, as does software transcode.

The P2000 is new, so it's possible there's a hardware problem with the card itself. How would I test that?

On 12/19/2020 at 11:45 AM, ich777 said:

This was only a thought and possibly have nothing to do with the network.

The output of 'nvidia-smi' should take only 1 or 2 seconds to show up.

Is the card working in another system?

Finally solved my problem! My Nvidia card somehow got assigned to one of my Windows 10 virtual machines. I have no idea how that happened as I don't remember ever doing that. Anyway, hardware transcoding now works. I am going to assign my onboard Intel GPU to the Windows 10 VM. Thank you for the help.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, ich777 said:

You can of course try that first, this would be best if you have a spare PC.

I also have an old GTX960 with the same error,  if I try it on a different machine I can get sometimes a video output but the driver fails to install in the end.

No, if you configure your SATA same as before and set the server back to USB boot everything should went fine.

Please eventually check if you got the option above 4G Decoding in your BIOS, if so please enable it.

Well just an update I finally pulled that card and put in my other pc to test it, "worked" like you said until driver install and then this (see attachment) what a coincidence though it dies during my drive replacements etc. 

signal-2020-12-20-221420.jpg

• Thanks 1