[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

Thanks to ich777 for taking time out of his day to do some troubleshooting on my issue.

Turns out, this behavior (Nvidia transcoding processes terminating when changing playback quality from inside the Web Player) is consistent across multiple client browsers and server platforms -- including Windows. This indicates that it's a Web Player issue, and has nothing to do with the Nvidia Drivers plugin. All other clients are playing just fine.

I created a ticket on the Plex Forum to report this issue, which has been experienced by others.

Thanks again to ich777 for his help! The plugin is working great.

Edited by theradiostar
  • Like 2

Hi,

I get the following error:

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 246

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce 210 GPU installed in this system is

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 340.xx Legacy drivers. Please

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: information. The 455.45.01 NVIDIA driver will ignore

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 246

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 246

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce 210 GPU installed in this system is

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 340.xx Legacy drivers. Please

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: information. The 455.45.01 NVIDIA driver will ignore

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!

Dec 21 09:22:40 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 246

How do I install the legacy driver? and if it's possible is it worth it considering the card in 10 years old

Thanks

Henry

5 hours ago, Perdurabo said:

How do I install the legacy driver? and if it's possible is it worth it considering the card in 10 years old

The plugin doesn't support installing the legacy driver.

May I ask for what did you install the driver?

You can't use this card in docker containers to accelerate transcoding.

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

The plugin doesn't support installing the legacy driver.

May I ask for what did you install the driver?

You can't use this card in docker containers to accelerate transcoding.

No problem, I though that would be the case, thank you. I will buy something newer for transcoding in JellyFin, any recommendations?

1 hour ago, Perdurabo said:

any recommendations?

If you want to buy something used a GTX1050Ti should do the job just fine (but keep in mind that you are limited to 3 parallel transcodes on consumer cards), I also have a 1050Ti and I buyed it for Eur. 80,-

1 hour ago, bradtn said:

If you want best of near everything bare minimum a 1060 SUPER(specifically) or 1660 would be better

A 1060Super or Ti? :D

I think the 1660 has the Pascal NVENC transcoder, correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Yes, I was wrong, the 1650 has the Pascal NVENC encoder, the 1660 has the newer Turing NVENC encoder.

29 minutes ago, ich777 said:

If you want to buy something used a GTX1050Ti should do the job just fine (but keep in mind that you are limited to 3 parallel transcodes on consumer cards), I also have a 1050Ti and I buyed it for Eur. 80,-

A 1060Super or Ti? :D

I think the 1660 has the Pascal NVENC transcoder, correct me if I'm wrong.

1060 Super specifically has Turing NVENC the non super 1060 doesn't. 1660s are Turing far as I am aware Atleast the one I have coming is 

Edited by bradtn
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, theradiostar said:

Thanks to ich777 for taking time out of his day to do some troubleshooting on my issue.

Turns out, this behavior (Nvidia transcoding processes terminating when changing playback quality from inside the Web Player) is consistent across multiple client browsers and server platforms -- including Windows. This indicates that it's a Web Player issue, and has nothing to do with the Nvidia Drivers plugin. All other clients are playing just fine.

I created a ticket on the Plex Forum to report this issue, which has been experienced by others.

Thanks again to ich777 for his help! The plugin is working great.

Thanks for posting it here. I'am facing exactly the same issues as you mentioned on 6.9.0-rc2. I thought I had broke something on my own fault. Happy to hear it is (again) a release issue from Plex. Let's hope it will be fixed quickly.

• Like 1

I'm stuck at the "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running."

I have a Quadro P600 card that does appear in the System Devices section.  OS version is 6.9.0-rc2 and the driver version is 455.45.01.  The NVIDIA document listed in the first post shows the P600 as a compatible card.

I'm confident the card works since it's hooked up to my KVM console and it's working fine with that display.

nvidia-smi output is the same error above.

I see this in the log though, which is weird.  My card is definitely listed in the compatibility list for the v455.45.01 drivers.

Dec 24 17:59:59 Tower kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU installed in this system is
Dec 24 17:59:59 Tower kernel: NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Dec 24 17:59:59 Tower kernel: NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Dec 24 17:59:59 Tower kernel: NVRM: information. The 455.45.01 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Dec 24 17:59:59 Tower kernel: NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
Dec 24 17:59:59 Tower kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!
Dec 24 17:59:59 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 246

Thanks!

954444972_SystemDevices.thumb.JPG.32756ee810f21e0d07058a22e99721c9.JPG

1272801975_PluginPage.thumb.JPG.ac432c4f00f7fe3fce91e5bc548d6362.JPG

Edited by Spyderturbo007
21 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You have a Quadro 600 and not a P600, this is a major difference... The Quadro 600 is not supported by this driver.

Click

Ah crap.  I yanked it out of a machine and saw the 600 on the side and just assumed it was a P600.

I guess I can always use it for a VM, right?  Or is that out of the question as well?

Thanks!

This will work, right?  I just want to use it for Emby transcoding.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-3ME25AT-NVIDIA-Quadro-P620-2GB-Graphics-Card-Graphic/124333179467?epid=16031747436&hash=item1cf2d5c24b:g:GgkAAOSwoAZfWomg

Edited by Spyderturbo007
6 hours ago, Spyderturbo007 said:

This will work, right?  I just want to use it for Emby transcoding

Yes, but I recommend using a GTX 1050Ti, slightly more vram and aslo capable of 3 simulaneous transcodes.

6 hours ago, Spyderturbo007 said:

I guess I can always use it for a VM, right? 

Yes.

17 minutes ago, Perdurabo said:

Thanks for all the advice, any cards that only has power through the pci express, happy to get a quadro if that works?

My rig is quite low powered at 300w.

It really comes down to two things:

Quality

Do you want the best quality and efficiency for transcoding at a reasonable price? If so, you’ll want the GTX 1650 Super or above. It has the Turing encoder and decoder and it works very well. It does require a PCIE power cable though but it doesn’t use much power for transcoding. If you can handle a small step down in quality, a P400 or GTX 1050 or 1050 TI will work wonderfully. They are both 75W cards and the P400 only sips power.

Number of Transcodes

All Quadro cards under the P2000 and all GTX/RTX (except for the RTX 4000) cards are locked at 3 transcodes. The P2000 can handle about 20 1080p right out of the box. Going above the P2000 is really unnecessary for practically all servers unless you have a ridiculous number of people you share your server with.

• Thanks 1
On 12/20/2020 at 8:54 PM, theradiostar said:

Yes; direct play works fine, as does software transcode.

The P2000 is new, so it's possible there's a hardware problem with the card itself. How would I test that?

Are you storing your app data in a cache drive or the unraid array ? I've had this problem before

Edited by Jochem
4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

He also got this problem on a Windows machine where Plex is installed with a GTX1080Ti.

Hmm i see, in my case it was the formatting of my plex cache ssd in unraid, fomated it to NTFS first but that gave loads of errors while transcoding so had to switch to XFS and all started working flawless... but in this case i think i cant help sorry, this is all i know ^^

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Thank you for reporting that. :)

So you have your cache formatted in XFS and not in BTRFS and Plex is on your cache drive?

Yes, got a Samsung EVO 860 where i store my plex appdata and do the transcoding.
See the attachment ^^, but since you mention BTRFS... whats the difference and why should i format it like that ?

Unraid.PNG

On 12/27/2020 at 11:29 AM, Jochem said:

Yes, got a Samsung EVO 860 where i store my plex appdata and do the transcoding.
See the attachment ^^, but since you mention BTRFS... whats the difference and why should i format it like that ?

Unraid.PNG

That's up to your preference. :)

The main advantage is that if you run BTRFS in the Cache Pool it is somewhat of a RAID1 with more than one drive (somewhat because you have the ability to mix different drives - type, size, vendor - to on Volume)

Hello,

I successfully installed the plugin.
It works correctly, with Unmanic.

Thanks to all of you!

However, the NVEnc implementation in ffmpeg is very old and I can't encode properly using "hevc_nvenc".

Do you know if there is a way to use NVEnc directly (https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc) on Unraid while taking advantage of my GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER?

I can't find any NVEnc Docker and my hardware being too old, I can't install a VM on the NAS and therefore run Windows taking advantage of the GC :/

Thanks to all of you !

K.