[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please read that post below, I don't think it's worth the effort because the tools/runtimes that are needed to utilze the card in Docker Containers are not compatible with the old driver version:

EDIT: The oldest card you can use with Docker is the Kepler architecture I think this is the GeForce 600 series.

Thanks alot for the info.
Looks like I'm out of luck on this one. CPU transcoding it is.
At least I can still repurpose the laptop. :) 

• Like 1

So I updated to 6.9 and ignorantly installed the nvidia drivers without reading this thread. I closed out of that popup believing it was just a notification on where to go to enable the device in docker. After not being able to find the setting I came here to look where to go.. So my question is how do I access that page now that the red popup box is gone. I attempted to uninstall the drivers but did not receive a prompt like the first install when installing the plugin. Also for some reason when I add the lines in the Plex docker the docker disappears, not sure if this is an unraid bug, plex bug or an issue with the settings not being enabled via that popup. 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, no1warr1or said:

I closed out of that popup believing it was just a notification on where to go to enable the device in docker.

Please read the first post everything is in there, simply click on the logo from the Plugin.

Also you have to reboot or disable and reenable the Docker deamon for the Plugin to work -> why is also in the first post.

4 minutes ago, no1warr1or said:

Also for some reason when I add the lines in the Plex docker the docker disappears, not sure if this is an unraid bug

Yes because I think you haven't rebooted or restarted the Docker daemon and the Docker dissapears because it simply can't find the runtime (also if you look at the message if you click Apply in the Plex Docker template and don't click DONE you will see that the creation fails and error out because of the mentioned reason).

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please read the first post everything is in there, simply click on the logo from the Plugin.

Also you have to reboot or disable and reenable the Docker deamon for the Plugin to work -> why is also in the first post.

Yes because I think you haven't rebooted or restarted the Docker daemon and the Docker dissapears because it simply can't find the runtime (also if you look at the message if you click Apply in the Plex Docker template and don't click DONE you will see that the creation fails and error out because of the mentioned reason).

When I click on the logo of the plugin it takes me to a settings page but the only options there are the update options, It shows my GPU and the information related to it. 

1 minute ago, no1warr1or said:

When I click on the logo of the plugin it takes me to a settings page but the only options there are the update options, It shows my GPU and the information related to it. 

I added the lines to the plex docker and it appears to be working. Not sure what the red popup was needed for but thankfully It appears I didnt need it... unless im not understanding where that popup takes you. 

4 minutes ago, no1warr1or said:

You know that I also put a screenshot of the red box (Step 3) and the text is in there, actually when you read the fist post Step 5 tells you what to do next and where to go:

If everything shows up correctly click on the red alert notification from Step 3 (not on the 'X'), this will bring you to the Docker settings.

2 minutes ago, no1warr1or said:

Not sure what the red popup was needed for but thankfully It appears I didnt need it...

Actually if you read Step 7 it tells you why you have to do this:

the background to this is that when the Nvidia-Driver-Package is installed also a file is installed that interacts directly with the Docker Daemon itself and the Docker Daemon needs to be reloaded in order to load that file

EDIT: Please do the first post step by step even if you don't have the red box...

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You know that I also put a screenshot of the red box (Step 3) and the text is in there, actually when you read the fist post Step 5 tells you what to do next and where to go:

Actually if you read Step 7 it tells you why you have to do this:

EDIT: Please do the first post step by step even if you don't have the red box...

I see now, so the reboot I did made that step unnecessary. I followed the rest of the steps and like I said its working great now. Thanks for the help and the drivers plugin :)

• Like 1

Hi @ich777,

After all the help to get stuff setup on 6.8.3 (thanks again), I updated to 6.9 stable and ran into an issue (I'm very sorry).  I removed all the extra parameters/variables from the Plex container after upgrading and started to follow the directions in the first post.  However, I ran into this error trying to install the NVIDIA driver:

image.thumb.png.af99eebb8acc8fe7a3d8cd6f2e30cac3.png

I just assumed something was wrong with my system, so I tried these things:

- pinged the server (success)

- removed the previous unraid-kernal helper plugin (success) and tried redownloading the NVIDIA drivers (failure)

- tried to install manually via the plugin page/link (failure)

- downloaded another docker - your unraid kernel helper (success)

- streaming via Plex both on and off the network (success)

I'm not quite sure why it won't download, but I'm just wondering if maybe I missed turning off a setting or something.  Diagnostics are attached in case they're needed.

Thanks very much!

radagast-diagnostics-20210303-1701.zip

4 minutes ago, bonustreats said:

I just assumed something was wrong with my system

Can you connect to Github?

This seems like a network related problem since even Plugin the fails to download, have you got PiHole running somewhere in your network, if so eventually try to disable it.

@Squid do you know that message on a Plugin installation? Never saw that before.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you connect to Github?

This seems like a network related problem since even Plugin the fails to download, have you got PiHole running somewhere in your network, if so eventually try to disable it.

@Squid do you know that message on a Plugin installation? Never saw that before.

Hooooly crap, you're right!  I added github.com to the whitelist, but that didn't make any difference, so I just disabled pihole and github loaded right up.  WOW, that didn't even cross my mind.  

I disabled it and installed the plugin.  Thanks so much for the answer AND the quick turnaround - it's most appreciated!

Genius.gif

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you restarted after you installed the Nvidia-Driver Plugin or stopped and restarted the Docker daemon like the description tells you to do?

EDIT - i deleted everything i wrote. I'd like to thank you for your help. I am just pretty unwell and will take this up again when i don't feel so ordinary.

Appreciate your efforts mate.

Edited by Oxxy
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, ich777 said:

I found this message in the logs:

unRAID kernel: NVRM: The system BIOS may have misconfigured your GPU.

and after that message the Nvidia driver fails to initialize.

Have you a option in the BIOS for Resizable BAR support or anything related to BAR support?

Can you also try to boot with Legacy instead of UEFI?

@ich777 thanks for the response

I am currently running in Legacy mode, not UEFI
I checked the BIOS but (unless I'm seriously not digging hard enough) couldn't find anything related to BAR support

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please see the first few pages, I think some people got this error too, I think they solved it by reinstalling it or regenerating the token when I remember correctly?

EDIT: But the GPU is working at least for handbrake from what I've see.

I had to complete uninstall and remove app data but the plexpms container is now transcoding.  Silver lining here, my plex folder size was pretty bloated so this reset helps :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, feins said:

I had an Nvidia NVS-315 which the latest driver are not supported is there a way to install the legacy driver Version 390.141 which support NVS-315?

What do you want to do with the card? You can't use it for HW transcoding or similar

The card is pretty old from what I've seen, released 2013 and also Fermi2.0 (GeForce 4xx Series) based you need to be at least on Keplar (GeForce 6xx Series).

The libraries are not compatible with the old drivers and won't work for use in Docker Containers.

Please read this post:

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

What do you want to do with the card? You can't use it for HW transcoding or similar

The card is pretty old from what I've seen, released 2013 and also Fermi2.0 (GeForce 4xx Series) based you need to be at least on Keplar (GeForce 6xx Series).

The libraries are not compatible with the old drivers and won't work for use in Docker Containers.

Please read this post:

Thanks for the info. Just if there are driver then its will be much better at least according to Spaceinvader's video that it might save a bit of power consumption. Basically i dont do HW Transcoding all my media are direct passthrough to Kodi.

36 minutes ago, feins said:

Just if there are driver then its will be much better at least according to Spaceinvader's video that it might save a bit of power consumption.

Yes but that's not that what this plugin is for and it doesn't support the old driver.

From what I've read the card has a maximum TDP of 19,5 Watt also it's strongly dependent on how the manufacturer implemented the start of the card in the BIOS of the card itself, some cards go even without a driver into idle.

One way I think would be that you boot into GUI Mode, eventually this will help.

Or you create a VM, pass through the card and install the driver there.

Eventually @SpaceInvaderOne has some idea to solve your problem.

Hiya

Firstly, thank you for fantastic tutorial and guide, then sorry for whatever my failure is....I have tried and tried to get "hw" on the transcoding on plex (with pass and using binhex plexpass image) but epic failure.

I have Quadro P400 card and all seems correct but duh.... please can somebody point me to my error.

nvidea4.png

nvidea2.png

nvidia1.png

nvidea3.png

Edited by keymaster

Unsure if this error is to be expected or not? Trying to overclock and when I use nvidia-settings I get the below. No issues using smi.

nvidia-settings: error while loading shared libraries: libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

On 2/21/2021 at 2:28 PM, Glasti said:

Hello, 

SInce a couple of days my GPU will stop showing in the plugin and with nvidia-smi and i am seeing these errors in the logs. It will come back, and then dissapears again.

NVRM: GPU 0000:08:00.0: Failed to copy vbios to system memory.
NVRM: GPU 0000:08:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x30:0xffff:802)
NVRM: GPU 0000:08:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0

It has worked fine since then for about 8 months.  I am not able to find to much information about these messages. But sounds like it could be a driver issue. 

Any hints to where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advanced

edit: When it is available and i stress test it, it looks to work fine. Do not think that it is a hardware failure. But have not tested yet.

tower-diagnostics-20210221-1423.zip 155.68 kB · 2 downloads

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz 1 MB · 1 download

The issue/error has returned again. 

Testing with not transcoding to ram but to 1 of my cache pools. If that doesnt help i am going to run a MemTest. 

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

Yes but that's not that what this plugin is for and it doesn't support the old driver.

From what I've read the card has a maximum TDP of 19,5 Watt also it's strongly dependent on how the manufacturer implemented the start of the card in the BIOS of the card itself, some cards go even without a driver into idle.

One way I think would be that you boot into GUI Mode, eventually this will help.

Or you create a VM, pass through the card and install the driver there.

Eventually @SpaceInvaderOne has some idea to solve your problem.

Ya i guess that would do. Thanks anywhere.

2 hours ago, keymaster said:

I have tried and tried to get "hw" on the transcoding on plex (with pass and using binhex plexpass image) but epic failure.

Please look on the first few pages, a few users had this problem to, a reinstall of the container did the trick I think.

2 hours ago, DuzAwe said:

Unsure if this error is to be expected or not?

There is no X server installed in Unraid so you can't use nvidia-settings because this relies on X server.

21 minutes ago, SoapyMacNCheese said:

Does anyone know how frequently the Nvidia Driver version will be updated. I was lucky enough to get a 3060, but the current driver doesn't support it.

I'm sorting this out currently with limetech.

For now I can send you a package that you simply replace on your USB Boot device and reboot.

Please write me a short PM and I will send you the link and also how to do it. :)

• Like 1