[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

58 minutes ago, SavellM said:

I guess I'll try reinstall the app again too... Thanks for your efforts.

Does your Server have access to the internet on boot?

If not that's essential to update the drivers...

If you don't have any luck please let me know, eventually there is a bug in the Plugin but I've tried it on my dev machine and it works just flawlessly switching the drivers back and forth even if you have an old driver in there that is not supposed to work with this Unraid version.

8 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Is there a way to say wait for internet before starting? 

Unraid starts the network first, then install the Plugin and check for updates.

Have you installed any blocking software in your network like PiHole or something similar? Please make sure that Unraid has exclusive access to the internet.

Can you try to download this file: Click

This is the actual file that Unraid tries to download on boot.

It should at least work because I now got many users that got the driver versions 460.56 installed as you can read a few comments above a user already postet that he has this version installed.

I think this can only be a network issue in your case or something like that.

As said I tried to install drivers back and forth and it always worked but I will try it again and will update the post after I tested switching around drivers.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Unraid starts the network first, then install the Plugin and check for updates.

Have you installed any blocking software in your network like PiHole or something similar? Please make sure that Unraid has exclusive access to the internet.

Can you try to download this file: Click

This is the actual file that Unraid tries to download on boot.

It should at least work because I now got many users that got the driver versions 460.56 installed as you can read a few comments above a user already postet that he has this version installed.

I think this can only be a network issue in your case or something like that.

As said I tried to install drivers back and forth and it always worked but I will try it again and will update the post after I tested switching around drivers.

Yup I can download that file just fine.

I am using pfBlockerNG via pfSense.

Is there a way I can manually download that file and place it somewhere and reboot, and let it pick it up manually?

37 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Is there a way I can manually download that file and place it somewhere and reboot, and let it pick it up manually?

Wouldn't it be better to solve this problem instead of doing a workaround, but yes you can do that.

As said above, can you give me the output of 'cat /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg' from a Unraid terminal?

1 hour ago, SavellM said:

Yup I can download that file just fine.

I tried it now and have no problems.

This is the first boot driver 460.56 installed and changed to 455.45.01:

initial.thumb.png.ccb03915ecafd2c34cac3f263e2039d5.png

after the reboot it looks like this:

1.thumb.png.d193fe169f798c06c8b881abed511bb7.png

then I tried again to change back to a differnt driver manually 406.39 and after the reboot:

2.thumb.png.8a2e452b3f789f2bdd0b2ce6f63bb2fe.png

and at the last one I've set it to 'latest' and after the reboot it looks like this:

last.thumb.png.90f8178b39ef41ba62ee7d0bed26e40a.png

Also here is the log from the last boot it should look something like this: nvidia.log

I would strongly suggest to investigate why it's not working for you otherwise you always have to install it manually and if an update of Unraid is released no driver would be installed and you have to manually delete the Plugin and install it again from the CA App.

Have you a dedicated box for pfSense or did you run it on Unraid in a VM?

It is a dedicated physical device. 

So internet should always be up and running.

I also believe its a network issue, just not sure why or how to resolve.

I'll do some more digging today and let you know.

Maybe a simple delete plugin and reinstall and see how it goes as a first step. Then look into network issues.

9 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Maybe a simple delete plugin and reinstall and see how it goes as a first step. Then look into network issues.

If you want to do it manually set it to the newest driver version, not to 'latest', download the file (because if you set it to latest and there is a network problem it will install anyways the old driver because it can't get the versions/version numbers that are available) and then place the downloaded file in '/boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/packages/' or your 'USBBootDevice/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/packages/'.

Hope that helps and makes sense to you.

11 minutes ago, SavellM said:

So I removed the plugin and restarted unRAID, oh man, now it wont connect with any network. 

Not sure if its related but seems to be something funky with this plugin and network.

But why should it be my Plugin? And what should my plugin do to the network?

18 hours ago, SavellM said:

Mar  5 22:20:59 Odin nmbd[2903]:   Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(138) ERRNO=Network is unreachable

Yesterday you sent the log and there you got also this messages that are not related to my Plugin, are you sure that the network to your server is stable?

Somewhere you said that you are using a bonded ethernet I think, I would first look into it if there is everything alright with bond and the interfaces itself...

Network has been running perfectly fine for months. 

No other plugin gets these network related issues.

Server is perfectly fine when booted, all dockers and all plugins and all VM's work.

Its literally just this part during boot. 

Like I say I'm not sure if its related but this is the only plugin having issues. And rebooted perfectly fine until I removed this plugin and now my server doesnt get any network at all, just self assigned IP. 

10 minutes ago, SavellM said:

No other plugin gets these network related issues.

Yes, because my plugin is one of the few out there that check on a reboot for a new version, that's not the case for most plugins out there.

Its literally just this part during boot. 

But that is not related to my Plugin, you have to understand that this is the syslog and that there can be various messages that are in between.

For example when my server boots I get the messages from Nvidia, the DVB Plugin and sometimes smb messages in between each other because this the syslog is a compiled list what is going on right now and if some service has something to say it echos it there and you see a message.

Like I say I'm not sure if its related but this is the only plugin having issues. And rebooted perfectly fine until I removed this plugin and now my server doesnt get any network at all, just self assigned IP. 

You have to understand that my Plugin does nothing to the network or the interfaces, if there is no internet then my Plugin is like: "Oh fine there is no internet we install the version that we have on hand".

I think this is a completely network related error in your case.

EDIT: This is not part of my Plugin, this is SAMBA related I think:

Mar  5 22:20:54 Odin ntpd[2864]: new interface(s) found: waking up resolver
Mar  5 22:20:55 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:20:55.180477,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:922(send_udp)
Mar  5 22:20:55 Odin nmbd[2903]:   Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(138) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Mar  5 22:20:57 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:20:57.182874,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:922(send_udp)
Mar  5 22:20:57 Odin nmbd[2903]:   Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(138) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Mar  5 22:20:59 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:20:59.185263,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:922(send_udp)
Mar  5 22:20:59 Odin nmbd[2903]:   Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(138) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Mar  5 22:21:01 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:21:01.187496,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:922(send_udp)
Mar  5 22:21:01 Odin nmbd[2903]:   Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(138) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:21:03.189500,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:922(send_udp)
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]:   Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(138) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:21:03.189603,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:922(send_udp)
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]:   Packet send failed to 169.254.255.255(137) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:21:03.189631,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:179(send_netbios_packet)
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]:   send_netbios_packet: send_packet() to IP 169.254.255.255 port 137 failed
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]: [2021/03/05 22:21:03.189666,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:581(register_name)
Mar  5 22:21:03 Odin nmbd[2903]:   register_name: Failed to send packet trying to register name #001#002__MSBROWSE__#002<01>

1 minute ago, SavellM said:

While I dont disagree it seems all too connected.

Sorry but I don't think so...

Why should my Plugin be connected to an issue that the network isn't working. As said above it does nothing to the network (it's a graphics driver).

It connects to Github looks for new versions downloads it if it finds a new version otherwiese it installs it and that's it.

Can you add a wait for network before continuing or an option pause for 10 seconds before checking network to allow it to come online?

Can you check your network settings first please, you are the first one that has such problems.

Especially because the network is already up when it's installing/searching for new drivers.

So I rebooted, got back into unraid, im now re-installing the plugin. 

Its pulling the latest driver as we speak. 

Once its back I'll try changing it down a version and back again. 

Can you also try to boot without the bond and with a single ethernet cable for troubleshooting reasons?

As said above the network should be already up when the plugin installation happens on boot...

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Can you also try to boot without the bond and with a single ethernet cable for troubleshooting reasons?

As said above the network should be already up when the plugin installation happens on boot...

Yup changed it back to active-backup the default setting to test.

2 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Kinda wish I didnt uninstall the plugin and reinstall before changing network :D

But all good seems to be working, thanks for putting up with me. Like I say I'm not saying it is connected or this plugin, just seemed odd. Or maybe the way Bonds work on boot. 

No problem here, I will also change the typos in my plugin in an upcoming version but I think it don't affect the functionality of the Plugin itself... :D

English is not my native language but I try my best, thanks for the hint. ;)

I can add a pause of 10 seconds but this will make the boot 10 seconds longer.

Think of it if someone has a 30Mbit/s connection or slower, then the download takes in today's standards ages and also the pause of 10 seconds will add up to this...

A pause before the download is the last thing I want to do...

12 minutes ago, SavellM said:

As then I could have tested that, maybe bonds take a little bit extra to get fully connected. 

As far as I know not.

Also look at your syslog you already got a DHCP address and then the network failed to connect to the internet, it seems there is eventually something wring with the config itself or something like that, eventualy also look on the router/switch side...

What about making it an option that a user can choose? 

That would complicate everything I think and as I said the network should be already online at the installation of the plugins.

I will re-enable the bond again another day and test that further. 

I once also got a LACP bond and they can give you a really hard time sometimes if not everything is configured properly and the NIC's are fully suporting it (like in your case that eventually the network even doesn't come online.

Then I switched over to a 10Gbit/s Mellanox card and it can't work better I think. :)

Hey @ich777, is there any way to update the nvidia driver through a user script? I would do it through your plugin on reboot but my router is a pfSense vm which as you can imagine makes it a little difficult to be connected to the internet while trying to update. 

Thanks in advance, you make an awesome plugin!