[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

8 hours ago, almulder said:

get a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner, but everything else works, its just no local GUI.

Can you eventually give me the Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drag the file in this text box).

Have you checked that eventually the display outputs on the other card?

EDIT: I have found something, eventually this is related:

6 hours ago, quizzy99 said:

I appreciate the tip. I just tried booting with a fresh copy of Unraid 6.9 straight from the website and installing the plugin, but unfortunately I got the same "No devices were found" error.

What driver version do you have installed?

22 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you eventually give me the Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drag the file in this text box).

Have you checked that eventually the display outputs on the other card?

What driver version do you have installed?

I have tried both driver version v460.56 and v455.45.01 on plugin 2021.03.07. About to try updating to Unraid 6.9.1.

Edit: No change after update to 6.9.1, still no devices found :(

monolith-diagnostics-20210307-2358.zip

Edited by quizzy99
1 hour ago, quizzy99 said:

I have tried both driver version v460.56 and v455.45.01 on plugin 2021.03.07. About to try updating to Unraid 6.9.1.

May I ask if this hardware configuration was working with the Nvidia drivers or is this a "new" built system?

What video card is set to be used in the BIOS iGPU or the card in the PCIe slot?

Try to disable VT-d and/or VT-x in the BIOS.

Have you anything changed in the VM Settings:

grafik.png.a14612074c2fb8ceaf277ef510ba92c1.png

@ich777 a small thing but its bugging me :-), any chance you can get the ui for the plugin to reflect the version you have chosen in the ui?, it currently does not do this, screenshot (note none of the radio buttons show selected version of the driver):-

image.png.2a973fa29f96a0f0b638ad9a9511be1b.png

reproduce:- click on specific version, click on 'update' wait for the plugin to show error notification (should be warning?) and then click back on the plugin and note the radio selection does not shown the 'preferred driver version' you selected.

6 minutes ago, binhex said:

any chance you can get the ui for the plugin to reflect the version you have chosen in the ui?

Already thought of that... :D

But then I thought it would be enough if you see it on the left side of the Plugin but that shows only the current version...

Would it be better to select the radio button what is actually installed or a little textbox with what version is currently selected?

I'm open to suggestions on that...

It would also be a idea to display a textbox or something similar if you choose another version than the current version that says something like: "Nvidia Driver vWHATEVER will be installed on the next boot"

10 minutes ago, binhex said:

show error notification

Error? This should be a "red" notification but not an Error, I made it red so that the user actually can't miss it what to do next... :D

26 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Would it be better to select the radio button what is actually installed or a little textbox with what version is currently selected?

I'm open to suggestions on that...

i think there are two bits of information that the plugin should show, the currently installed version, and the version you have selected for 'preferred version'.

it does kinda show the current version via the 'Nvidia Driver Version:' field, but its not explicit, perhaps that should be changed to 'Currently installed Version:', and then the 'Select preferred driver version:' radio button should reflect the version you have selected, obviously defaulting to 'latest' when the plugin is first installed.

31 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Error? This should be a "red" notification but not an Error, I made it red so that the user actually can't miss it what to do next.

sorry it looked like an error notification, similar to when a disk has errors, maybe you could have a softer option and use the 'reboot' banner that you get when you upgrade the os and 'require a reboot', you know the one?, the yellow banner at the very top of the ui.

Hi @ich777 noticed that unraid 6.9.1 is available today (I'm on 6.9). Do I need to consider the plugin version before upgrading to 6.9.1?  I'm on the latest as of this writing, checked to see if there was a plugin update and there isn't one so assume I'm on the latest.

Edited by repomanz
2 minutes ago, repomanz said:

Hi @ich777 noticed that unraid 6.9.1 is available today (I'm on 6.9). Do I need to consider the plugin version before upgrading to 6.9.1?  I'm on the latest as of this writing, checked to see if there was a plugin update and there isn't one so assume I'm on the latest.

You can now safely upgrade to 6.9.1 and the plugin will download the new driver on boot (keep in mind that the boot time could take a little longer than normal since it's downloading the driver).

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You can now safely upgrade to 6.9.1 and the plugin will download the new driver on boot (keep in mind that the boot time could take a little longer than normal since it's downloading the driver).

Hi @ich777 just confirming but the proper process with your plugin is to select the latest option?

1 minute ago, repomanz said:

Hi @ich777 just confirming but the proper process with your plugin is to select the latest option?

Yes and no, if the plugin doesn't finds the version that you manually selected then it falls automatically back to latest, so there is no reason to worry about the version. ;)

1 hour ago, Linxawakening said:

One would be for Plex transcoding (so I need this driver application) and one for a VM pass through.  Is that possible?

Yes this is possible.

I would bind the GPU that's meant to be for the VM to VFIO and then the Plugin or Unraid won't see it anyways since it's reserved for the use in a VM.

Even if you don't bind it to VFIO (Tools -> System Devices) you can select which GPU you would like to use in Docker containers, even if the other GPU is picked up by the Nvidia-Driver.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:59 AM, ich777 said:

May I ask if this hardware configuration was working with the Nvidia drivers or is this a "new" built system?

What video card is set to be used in the BIOS iGPU or the card in the PCIe slot?

Try to disable VT-d and/or VT-x in the BIOS.

Have you anything changed in the VM Settings:

grafik.png.a14612074c2fb8ceaf277ef510ba92c1.png

Ok, I tried disabling both in the bios as well as trying it with only VT-x disabled and only VT-d disabled, but the "no device found" message" in the plugin and the "RmInitAdapter Failed" error in the log have not changed in any of these bios combinations compared to having both enabled.

I only recently moved this graphics card from a windows desktop so I had not previously tried it with any unraid nvidia build or driver workarounds. My VM settings match your image and my VMs are not running by default. My CPU does not have integrated graphics, but I have tried explicitly disabling integrated graphics in the bios and setting PEG (PCI-E) as the primary display.

The only thing I can think to try at this point is stick the card into another desktop and boot with my unraid flash drive to check if the plugin recognizes it. Does the plugin have any requirements for the array to be started in order to recognize cards?  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, quizzy99 said:

My VM settings match your image and my VMs are not running by default.

I don't understand what you mean exactly...

I don't have any VM settings here I think.

I remember these can also be caused by to less power, or even a incompatible computer BIOS with your card.

I know this from Tesla cards, some won't work on consumer Motherboards because the BIOS on some consumer Motherboards is not made for such a big address space. :/

9 minutes ago, quizzy99 said:

The only thing I can think to try at this point is stick the card into another desktop and boot with my unraid flash drive to check if the plugin recognizes it. Does the plugin have any requirements for the array to be started in order to recognize cards?

Yes you can do that, you even don't have to start the array itself, just create a fresh Unraid USB Boot device if you got a USB key lying around and boot that on your main machine (of course stick the card in this system first :D ).

Then request a Trial key, don't start the array, install the CA App, Download the Nvidia-Driver Plugin and see if it works.

42 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes you can do that, you even don't have to start the array itself, just create a fresh Unraid USB Boot device if you got a USB key lying around and boot that on your main machine (of course stick the card in this system first :D ).

Then request a Trial key, don't start the array, install the CA App, Download the Nvidia-Driver Plugin and see if it works.

I threw the card into the other computer (an old oem machine with a motherboard from 2011!) along with a fresh unraid on a spare usb and am gettting the same message in the plugin and logs. I think there's either a problem with the card itself or maybe, as some digging online suggests, requires a way older nvidia driver to function (can't find the link but I think it was for quadros older than kepler). Or maybe the motherboards I'm using are just way too old. Is it possible to use a driver older than those select-able in this plugin?

43 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I don't understand what you mean exactly...

I don't have any VM settings here I think.

I never changed any VM settings and was referring to an image in your reply above that showed PCIe ACS override: disabled and VFIO allow safe interrupts: no.

Edited by quizzy99
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, quizzy99 said:

I threw the card into the other computer (an old oem machine with a motherboard from 2011!) along with a fresh unraid on a spare usb and am gettting the same message in the plugin and logs. I think there's either a problem with the card itself or maybe, as some digging online suggests, requires a way older nvidia driver to function (can't find the link but I think it was for quadros older than kepler). Or maybe the motherboards I'm using are just way too old. Is it possible to use a driver older than those select-able in this plugin?

May I ask if you got another Nvidia card lying around (I know this question is a little odd but have you a Nvidia card lying around or in another system that you can try... :P ).

23 minutes ago, quizzy99 said:

I think there's either a problem with the card itself or maybe, as some digging online suggests, requires a way older nvidia driver to function (can't find the link but I think it was for quadros older than kepler).

Maybe... But keep in mind you have to be at least on Kepler (7xx series) so that the driver and also the libraries are able to run.

I think when you try it on a Windows machine, install the appropriate driver and hit it with a 3D load it will work but at least you can try if this will work.

Are you also sure that you enabled Above 4G support in the BIOS?

53 minutes ago, ich777 said:

May I ask if you got another Nvidia card lying around (I know this question is a little odd but have you a Nvidia card lying around or in another system that you can try... :P ).

Unfortunately, I don't have another Nvidia card lying around. This was the only graphics unit in my unraid build, since I opted for a cpu without iGPU.

55 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think when you try it on a Windows machine, install the appropriate driver and hit it with a 3D load it will work but at least you can try if this will work.

It turns out that after trying the card on a windows machine, none of the Nvidia drivers actually work, even when going back as far as v353, they just turn a black screen, so unless I'm misunderstanding, there is probably something fundamentally wrong with the card. Installing the drivers just throws errors and doesn't actually run other than a rudimentary display via microsoft compatible drivers. I remember a few years back the card used to work properly on that machine, so the card probably got messed up since then. :( But the card is still good to use to watch unraid booting and changing bios settings so there's that. 

Thanks for all your help in diagnosing this with me. I should have caught that the graphics card itself was problematic by testing it with the nvidia drivers in Windows beforehand rather than assuming it worked because it was detected by windows and unraid. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new Nvidia card soon so I can finally make use of your awesome plugin!!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, quizzy99 said:

It turns out that after trying the card on a windows machine, none of the Nvidia drivers actually work, even when going back as far as v353, they just turn a black screen, so unless I'm misunderstanding, there is probably something fundamentally wrong with the card. Installing the drivers just throws errors and doesn't actually run other than a rudimentary display via microsoft compatible drivers. I remember a few years back the card used to work properly on that machine, so the card probably got messed up since then. :(

Yes it seems so, the Card works as long as the driver isn't installed am I right?

17 minutes ago, quizzy99 said:

But the card is still good to use to watch unraid booting and changing bios settings so there's that. 

Yes because it's running in a kind of basic mode where not all memory is utilized and the GPU is actually not initialized and that's why it outputs the CLI and also works in Windows until the driver is installed (basically the same in Windows as in Linux).

Hope that makes sense to you...

19 minutes ago, quizzy99 said:

Hopefully I'll be able to get a new Nvidia card soon so I can finally make use of your awesome plugin!!

I hope for you too since nowadays graphics cards are not that cheap and easy to buy, consider buying a used 1050 or 1050ti that should you cover with 3 parallel transcodes and is also capable of h.265. ;)