[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

17 minutes ago, Jagadguru said:

Is there a way to get sound from a V4L2 USB Capture device into debian-buster-nvidia?

No because this was only created to be a Streaming Container for games. Also this is the wrong support thread for the Contianer.

18 minutes ago, Jagadguru said:

Or does UNRAID just not have the necessary drivers?

You can try the DVB Package because this has V4L integrated but I can't guarantee that this will work...

1 hour ago, beaverly72 said:

Anyone have a checksum error when attempting to download the driver?  I’ve tried both the latest v460.67 and v455.45.01. Trying to get my p2000 going with HW transcoding.  It seems like only driver v455.45.01 currently works for this, but I can’t download it.

On which Unraid version are you currently?

What's the version of the Plugin that you got currently installed?

Something is wrong with the driver version, from your screenshots I see that it tries to download a empty driver version...

Can you try to download this file: Click (this is the file that the plugin actually downloads for 6.9.1)

Have you eventually PiHole or some other kind of Blocking software installed?

I tried now different versions form the WebGUI for 6.9.1 (screenshots attached):

grafik.png.eca4343127da69ed20be1a86ae121d12.png

grafik.png.0a6226e59809a4f65e4865593ed78d34.png

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

On which Unraid version are you currently?

What's the version of the Plugin that you got currently installed?

Something is wrong with the driver version, from your screenshots I see that it tries to download a empty driver version...

Can you try to download this file: Click (this is the file that the plugin actually downloads for 6.9.1)

Have you eventually PiHole or some other kind of Blocking software installed?

I tried now different versions form the WebGUI for 6.9.1 (screenshots attached):

grafik.png.eca4343127da69ed20be1a86ae121d12.png

grafik.png.0a6226e59809a4f65e4865593ed78d34.png

Unraid v6.9.1

plugin v 2021.03.19

I was able to download the driver from the link you provided.

It was working with the latest driver, but ran into that checksum error after changing the selection to v455.  I noticed while grabbing the plug-in version that the plug-in was listed under the errored tab.  I removed the plug-in and installed it again.  Changed the driver to v455 and clicked Update, then Download and it worked.  Plex HW transcoding is working.  Not sure what I did to get it in that state.  Thanks for the reply.

Edited by beaverly72
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, mkayze said:

Anyone have an idea why the plugin dissapears whenever I reboot my server? I always have to reinstall it after a reboot. Im on the latest version of Unraid

Have you got a active internet connection on boot?

Does this happen on every reboot or have you upgraded Unraid itself?

Can you please post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded file here in the textbox)?

EDIT: Are you sure that the Plugin is not in the Plugin Error tab on the Plugin page?

Hi there,

My Unraid server seems to no longer be booting with the NVIDIA plugin installed. Need to explain a little.

We had a power blackout today (the server is on a UPS, but due to the length of the blackout the UPS shut the server down, which was fine). Since power was restored, Unraid has been hanging after starting Samba services during the bootup sequence (normal boot time takes ~5 minutes, I left the server at this state for over an hour and no GUI). I took the USB to another computer, set the syslinux.cfg to boot into Safe Mode, and I am now able to get to the GUI, which made me think one of the plugins went bad.

I had an old USB backup from 12 days ago that I flashed using the Unraid Creator and tried to boot that, which didn't work. Thinking that was odd, I removed all addons from the config folder on the boot USB, and attempted to boot in normal mode. Successful.

I then went to reinstall the NVIDIA plugin (460.67 driver), disabled and re-enabled Docker as suggested, and tested Plex transcoding. Successful.

I then went to reboot Unraid, and it once again stuck at the Samba login screen. I did however notice the server was pingable and can be SSH'd from another device (not directly, oddly enough), so the server is 'alive' but with no GUI. I rolled the change back with the NVIDIA plugin not installed, and the server fired up no problem (albeit with no plugins).

I've gone back to the last backup I was able to grab before the UPS' power went out, and pulled a diagnostics via SSH.

TL;DR: What would potentially cause the NVIDIA plugin to prevent GUI bootup?

Pic attached is as far as the boot sequence will go. Server specs are in my sig.

EDIT: Well, after waiting an hour and a half... the bloody thing boots with a GUI. I have no idea why it took so long to boot, but it's up and that's all that matters.

I will do some more investigation over the coming days, but if anyone has any insight as to the lengthy lead times on boot up, I'm all ears.

20210322_202940_resize.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20210322-2110.zip

Edited by evakq8r
28 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

My Unraid server seems to no longer be booting with the NVIDIA plugin installed. Need to explain a little.

Please go to your Plugin page and look if you have the tab Plugin Errors if the Nvidia Plugin is there remove it and then try to redownload it from the CA App.

Does your server has a active internet connection on boot or do your run anything on the server that eventually doesn't let it connect to the internet like PiHole or a Firewall in a VM?

The plugin has a 30 second built in timeout if there is no internet connection available so this shouldn't be the problem.

32 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

I then went to reboot Unraid, and it once again stuck at the Samba login screen. I did however notice the server was pingable and can be SSH'd from another device (not directly, oddly enough), so the server is 'alive' but with no GUI. I rolled the change back with the NVIDIA plugin not installed, and the server fired up no problem (albeit with no plugins).

Can you do this once more? Install the Plugin and then reboot and SSH into it and do a 'cp /var/log/syslog /mnt/user/appdata/' (this will copy the current syslog in your 'appdata' directory. And after that can you post this syslog here?

35 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

I've gone back to the last backup I was able to grab before the UPS' power went out, and pulled a diagnostics via SSH.

Are you sure that the Nvidia Plugin is the main problem here, I even don't see something about Nvidia in the syslog nor do I see the Plugin installed.

DVB is the last thing I see that wants to install but I don't see a Plugin in your diagnostics.

Something strange is happening on your system... But I think we can solve this... :)

Also I see you are booting to GUI mode, is the monitor attached to the P2000 I think?

13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please go to your Plugin page and look if you have the tab Plugin Errors if the Nvidia Plugin is there remove it and then try to redownload it from the CA App.

Does your server has a active internet connection on boot or do your run anything on the server that eventually doesn't let it connect to the internet like PiHole or a Firewall in a VM?

The plugin has a 30 second built in timeout if there is no internet connection available so this shouldn't be the problem.

There were Plugin errors listed for the Nvidia and DVB drivers, which have since been removed.

Server does have an active internet connection, yes. I do run PiHole on the server as well as the Unifi Controller. Not sure whether not having the controller accessible would prevent internet access? (haven't had the issue before).

Can you do this once more? Install the Plugin and then reboot and SSH into it and do a 'cp /var/log/syslog /mnt/user/appdata/' (this will copy the current syslog in your 'appdata' directory. And after that can you post this syslog here?

I would, but after I made the last edit earlier (the server did finally boot with a working GUI), I'm now reluctant to reboot it again and have to wait over an hour and a half for it to become responsive.

Are you sure that the Nvidia Plugin is the main problem here, I even don't see something about Nvidia in the syslog nor do I see the Plugin installed.

Well when I took the USB boot drive and plugged it into an alternative computer, I deleted all plugins listed in the folder and tested, which worked fine. I then added JUST the NVIDIA plugin and tested, and the boot hanging began. Putting 2 + 2 together made me think that was the case, but maybe it was coincidence, I'm not sure.

Also I see you are booting to GUI mode, is the monitor attached to the P2000 I think?

That's correct; I plugged a 5" RPI screen I had spare into the 1st port of the P2000 so I could get an idea on what was happening when the server didn't respond after the power blackout.

Edited by evakq8r
18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

That said, here's the current syslog file attached (without rebooting).

syslog

23 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

Server does have an active internet connection, yes. I do run PiHole on the server as well as the Unifi Controller. Not sure whether not having the controller accessible would prevent internet access? (haven't had the issue before).

That may be the problem, so the server doesn't actually have internet access I think or do you set the DNS server for Unraid to your ISP's DNS server, since if you set it to the PiHole it actually can't resolve IP addresses because the PiHole Container isn't running at that time.

23 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

I would, but after I made the last edit earlier (the server did finally boot with a working GUI), I'm now reluctant to reboot it again and have to wait over an hour and a half for it to become responsive.

Where are you located in the world? I got problems in last December with downloads from Github with the ISP Deutsche Telekom but this seems now to be resolved...

It shouldn't take that long to boot your server up.

Can you post the Diagnostics from your running server?

Actually seen the new post with the new syslog, yes, I think indeed it's because it can't resolve the addresses...

I strongly recommend that you set the first DNS server to your ISP's DNS service or at least to any public DNS like Google or Cloudflare since your server needs exclusive access to the Internet.

EDIT: I will push an update today to address this issue and make the boot only take 30 seconds longer if no working resolver is found.

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

That may be the problem, so the server doesn't actually have internet access I think or do you set the DNS server for Unraid to your ISP's DNS server, since if you set it to the PiHole it actually can't resolve IP addresses because the PiHole Container isn't running at that time.

I see, that would make sense. 

Where are you located in the world?

Australia

I strongly recommend that you set the first DNS server to your ISP's DNS service or at least to any public DNS like Google or Cloudflare since your server needs exclusive access to the Internet.

No problems, I'll take that under advisement. Trying to limit myself to services like unbound or other recursive servers, but I will set that as a last resort.

EDIT: I will push an update today to address this issue and make the boot only take 30 seconds longer if no working resolver is found.

Great, thanks!

Thanks for your help thus far @ich777 :)

Edited by evakq8r
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

No problems, I'll take that under advisement. Trying to limit myself to services like unbound or other recursive servers, but I will set that as a last resort.

You can also set up a Unbound server on a RaspberryPi so that you have access to the internet when Unraid is actually down, or you set a public for the server, since you can set your own with the entry '--dns=YOURDNSSERVER' in the Extra Parameters in your Docker templates.

So the server only will use the public IP for things like the Plugin downloads...

9 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

Great, thanks!

Hope that will fix it, I will push it as said later that day. :)

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

You can also set up a Unbound server on a RaspberryPi so that you have access to the internet when Unraid is actually down, or you set a public for the server, since you can set your own with the entry '--dns=YOURDNSSERVER' in the Extra Parameters in your Docker templates.

So the server only will use the public IP for things like the Plugin downloads...

Ah yes of course! Forgot about that handy feature.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Hope that will fix it, I will push it as said later that day. :)

Thanks again!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mkayze said:

Anyone have an idea why the plugin dissapears whenever I reboot my server? I always have to reinstall it after a reboot. Im on the latest version of Unraid

I have the same problem with Raid 6.9.1

The Internet is OK
 The new, clean version of Unraid 6.9.1 has the same problem

Using a P400 graphics card

And you can't get an NVIDIA ID

Restarting the NVIDIA icon will disappear and reinstalling will not help

unraid-server-diagnostics-20210322-2311.zip

Edited by 6677788
30 minutes ago, 6677788 said:

I have the same problem with Raid 6.9.1

The Internet is OK

I pushed a update of the Plugin today, please try to update the Plugin (first remove it from the Plugins Error then reinstall it from the CA App).

Are you running PiHole on your Unraid server or a VM with a Firewall?

34 minutes ago, 6677788 said:

And you can't get an NVIDIA ID

What do you mean with that, you don't get a UUID or you see nothing on the Plugin page?

What is the output from 'nvidia-smi' (after installing the Plugin) from a terminal?

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I pushed a update of the Plugin today

I did notice an update earlier (for both nvidia and DVB). Installed both and rebooted.... The boot time is significantly faster now! 

I'll keep an eye on this for a few days but suffice to say it no longer takes my server 90 mins to boot! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, evakq8r said:

I did notice an update earlier (for both nvidia and DVB). Installed both and rebooted.... The boot time is significantly faster now! 

And the Plugins stay or am I wrong?

Are you willing to share your full syslog here again to look what the Plugin does? :)

2 minutes ago, evakq8r said:

I'll keep an eye on this for a few days but suffice to say it no longer takes my server 90 mins to boot! 

This should not happen now anymore, you have to include +30 seconds for the timeout for DVB and +30 seconds for the timeout for Nvidia now (so about 1 minute longer boot time if the server has no active internet connection on boot or can't resolve the addresses).

I'm receiving the ERROR

"NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running."

I'm trying to get T-REX Miner setup and it requires this plugin.

Prior to this, I used my GeForce RTX 2070 in a VM but I don't anymore. When I hover over the green dot it says "KERNAL DRIVER IN USE: VFIO-PCI" and I suspect this is the issue. How do I stop this?

1256460945_ScreenShot2021-03-22at5_24_39PM.thumb.png.30cfed76e517137bc73adddaa4f9fe7f.png

Thank you!

10 hours ago, ich777 said:

I pushed a update of the Plugin today, please try to update the Plugin (first remove it from the Plugins Error then reinstall it from the CA App).

Are you running PiHole on your Unraid server or a VM with a Firewall?

What do you mean with that, you don't get a UUID or you see nothing on the Plugin page?

What is the output from 'nvidia-smi' (after installing the Plugin) from a terminal?

6.9.1 it can be used. Thank you very much

4 hours ago, michaelmateria said:

Prior to this, I used my GeForce RTX 2070 in a VM but I don't anymore. When I hover over the green dot it says "KERNAL DRIVER IN USE: VFIO-PCI" and I suspect this is the issue. How do I stop this?

Can you post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drag the file here into the textbox)?

2 hours ago, 6677788 said:

6.9.1 it can be used. Thank you very much

Is it now working?

On 3/22/2021 at 12:26 AM, ich777 said:

Have you got a active internet connection on boot?

Does this happen on every reboot or have you upgraded Unraid itself?

Can you please post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded file here in the textbox)?

EDIT: Are you sure that the Plugin is not in the Plugin Error tab on the Plugin page?

I will try again after the parity check. But yes, there's an active connection on boot.

I've never been on that page but I just checked and there was an error.

Nvidia driver error.png

Edited by mkayze
21 minutes ago, mkayze said:

I've never been on that page but I just checked and there was an error.

Yes please delete the two plugins with the 'Delete' button and then install first the Nvidia and then the GPU Statistics plugin (you can already do that with the running Parity Check).

23 minutes ago, mkayze said:

But yes, there's an active connection on boot.

And PiHole or something like that is not running on your Unraid box?

Have you the Diagnostics for me so I can look into why it won't install or at least the syslog from this boot?