[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I've already seen that but need some input what would be best... :D

I have a few solutions to this:

• move the latest tag to the bottom
  • let the latest tag on top and set it a little apart from the other version numbers
  • remove the version number from the latest tag completely
  • or like you said sort it in descending order

i kinda like the descending order, perhaps with a minor adjustment for latest as that is a special case, perhaps have the version number in brackets, i think it should still be visible, so something like this:-

latest (v465.24.02)

v465.24.02

v465.19.01

v460.67

v460.56

v460.39

v460.32.03

v460.27.04

at least thats my preferred way of ordering it, i shall leave it up to you to make the final decision @ich777 🙂

• Like 1

@ich777

add krsort

<td>Available Versions:</td>
                <td>
                    <p><input type="radio" name="drv_version" value="latest" <?php echo ( $selected_v == "latest") ? 'checked="checked"'>
                    <?php
		krsort($eachlines) ;
                    foreach($eachlines as $lines){
                    $arr = explode(" ", $lines);
                    $lines2 = implode(" ", $arr);

for:

image.png.965653dc2988b38ad496da6f9d7f74bc.png

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, SimonF said:

@ich777

add krsort

<td>Available Versions:</td>
                <td>
                    <p><input type="radio" name="drv_version" value="latest" <?php echo ( $selected_v == "latest") ? 'checked="checked"'>
                    <?php
		krsort($eachlines) ;
                    foreach($eachlines as $lines){
                    $arr = explode(" ", $lines);
                    $lines2 = implode(" ", $arr);

for:

Thank you for the hint, will do that but the plugin will change in the near future a little bit but I will also include this... :)

(I think you know that my web coding skills are subpar... :D )

• Like 1
13 hours ago, D_gate said:

Any update that would allow us to modify the clock speeds and memory speeds for 30 series cards at all?

What have you tried so far?

I'm really not that experienced with clock speeds and memory speeds but it should be possible to set a power limit, please note that this is a Nvidia specific subject and not really related to Unraid since this can be very difficulty on headless machines since you need a X environment from what I know.

To set a power limit on boot put this into your go file for example:

# Set power limit for Nvidia GPU
nvidia-persistenced
nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 100

Explanation: You have to enable 'nvidia-persistenced' for this to work after that you issue the command 'nvidia-smi' and the parameters '-i 0' (0 stands for the first card in the system) and then set a power limit of 100 Watt in this example with '-pl 100'.

Don't know if that's possible on 3000 series graphics cards but it should be.

14 hours ago, ich777 said:

What have you tried so far?

I'm really not that experienced with clock speeds and memory speeds but it should be possible to set a power limit, please note that this is a Nvidia specific subject and not really related to Unraid since this can be very difficulty on headless machines since you need a X environment from what I know.

To set a power limit on boot put this into your go file for example:

# Set power limit for Nvidia GPU
nvidia-persistenced
nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 100

Explanation: You have to enable 'nvidia-persistenced' for this to work after that you issue the command 'nvidia-smi' and the parameters '-i 0' (0 stands for the first card in the system) and then set a power limit of 100 Watt in this example with '-pl 100'.

Don't know if that's possible on 3000 series graphics cards but it should be.

I can set the power limits just fine but when I try and modify the clocks I get this error. 

root@Jarvis:~# nvidia-smi -i 1 -ac 10000,1500
Setting applications clocks is not supported for GPU 00000000:02:00.0.
Treating as warning and moving on.
All done.

14 minutes ago, D_gate said:

I can set the power limits just fine but when I try and modify the clocks I get this error. 

As said above you have to run a X environment from what I know with a special Xorg config file (coolbits) to enable overclocking or in your case removing the lock from the gpu and memory clock.

What you are trying to accomplish is also not possible on a 10 or 20 series graphics card.

This is completely driver specific and nothing I can do about.

The best place to look this up are the nvidia forums and eventually crypto mining forums how they do this on headless machines, I think there are a few workarounds out there but I also think none of them is working properly.

Hello,

Let me start off by saying I'm new to unraid, and am doing my best to follow guides on the site and forum to get things set up to my preferences

I'm having a few issues with the Nvidia Plugin. I'll start with the (hopefully) easiest, first. Since i installed the nvidia driver plugin and drivers, and rebooted, the resolution in my consoles is to the point where i can barely read it.

image.png.8d52ea1d77ba912e80ad2d5c9e241618.png

A few notes -- i was initially trying to configure GPU passthrough for VM's -- i enabled PCIe ACS Ovveride : Multifunction. I have a stopped windows vm whose profile is set up to use my GPU.

I then pivoted to using binhex-plex which advised towards installing this plugin, and i followed their steps to enable hardware transcoding (though i'm not sure that is working -- that will be my next question).

Please let me know what information i can supply to help troubleshoot the CLI resolution!

Thanks!

Malcolm

3 hours ago, mmwilson0 said:

the resolution in my consoles is to the point where i can barely read it.

I think this is the web console or am I wrong? If yes, this has nothing to do with the Nvidia Driver.

EDIT: Is this eventually related:

A few notes -- i was initially trying to configure GPU passthrough for VM's

This plugin isn't needed if you want to passthrough the GPU to a VM.

i followed their steps to enable hardware transcoding (though i'm not sure that is working -- that will be my next question)

Have you read the second post in this thread? There are tutorials for Emby, Jellyfin and Plex in the second post... ;)

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

I think this is the web console or am I wrong? If yes, this has nothing to do with the Nvidia Driver.

I believe that you are correct. It's just strange because when i first set up unraid and loaded the console the font was fine. I only noticed this issue after i installed the nvidia driver plugin. Perhaps it was just a coincidence. But thank you for that post!

This plugin isn't needed if you want to passthrough the GPU to a VM.

Yeah, i know. I thought i read at first that docker would not do the GPU passthrough, so i was going to launch a VM to run plex. I was looking at binhex's plex container and saw that it is infact possible so i started following his faq to enabling it which led me to the video plugin.

I read somewhere that you can't use gpu passthrough for Docker and VM's? What do people do to reconcile that? Say if they want to use a VM for gaming and run plex with hardware transcoding?

Have you read the second post in this thread? There are tutorials for Emby, Jellyfin and Plex in the second post...

I did NOT see the second post in this thread, but i went back and reviewed it. I missed the step on binhex's guide to add the extra parameters --runtime=nvidia. I am transcoding like a boss now, thank you so much!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mmwilson0 said:

I read somewhere that you can't use gpu passthrough for Docker and VM's? What do people do to reconcile that? Say if they want to use a VM for gaming and run plex with hardware transcoding?

A second graphics card, or if you actually own a CPU with IntelQuickSync (Intel i-Series) you can use QuickSync for transcoding in Plex and the graphics card in the VM.

Anyone know what version of the nvidia driver is working for Plex transcoding? I had latest selected to begin with, which didn’t work.  Then rolled back to 455.45.01 which isn’t listed anymore.  No issue right now using 455.45.01, but dreading my next reboot until I know what newer version should be used. Is the Production Branch version always a good bet?

1 hour ago, beaverly72 said:

Anyone know what version of the nvidia driver is working for Plex transcoding?

Every version should work just fine.

I can tell for sure that the 465.24.02 and also 460.73.01 working just fine since I use them with Emby and that is not very different.

What wasn't working?

Is the Production Branch version always a good bet?

Some people rely on the Production Branch and some on the New Feature branch, regardless of what branch you choose it should work just fine but keep in mind that the new Feature branch can have various issues/bugs but never experienced on.

which isn’t listed anymore.

I only display the latest 8 drivers and if there is more than 8 drivers the last ones simply not displayed to not overload the plugin GUI.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ich777 said:

What wasn't working?

Oh boy, tough to remember now, I didn’t spend much time on the issue.  I think after adding the GPUID Plex would encounter an execution error when trying to start. I think it was v460.65 but hard to remember now, it was the latest at the time.  Someone else had the same issue and rolling back to 455.45 fixed it so I just did that and didn’t troubleshoot further, which worked.

Thanks, good to know that was more of an anomaly than something to plan for.  I’ll just stick to the prod branch for now.  Thanks!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, beaverly72 said:

Someone else had the same issue and rolling back to 455.45 fixed it so I just did that and didn’t troubleshoot further, which worked.

Please report such issues! I can't test every single driver version but from my knowledge every driver version works just fine at least with Unraid 6.9.2 (I also stick to thr latest production branch but at least I try to test every version :D ).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please report such issues! I can't test every single driver version but from my knowledge every driver version works just fine at least with Unraid 6.9.2 (I also stick to thr latest production branch but at least I try to test every version :D ).

I recently purchased a P2000 for transcoding and it took me a while to figure out when the server reboots Unraid never full boots up. I have to remove the USB from the server insert it into my desktop to remove the Nvidia plugin files and then re-insert it back into the server. Then the server will boot up properly. I've tried this several times and it happens every time. I've made sure the I'm booting up in Legacy vs UEFI. I can see it says legacy from the flash drive information. I've tried running nvidia-smi but as soon as the plugin is installed and the docker restarted the whole system will freeze and I get locked out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 minutes ago, jtmoore81 said:

I can see it says legacy from the flash drive information. I've tried running nvidia-smi but as soon as the plugin is installed and the docker restarted the whole system will freeze and I get locked out.

Please post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box).

Are you running a custom build?

Do you have a active Internet connection on boot or do you have any Firewall or any other kind of other blocking software installed on your server like PiHole?

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box).

Are you running a custom build?

Do you have a active Internet connection on boot or do you have any Firewall or any other kind of other blocking software installed on your server like PiHole?

No PiHole or firewall on the server. There is an active internet connection, everything runs as expected before installing the plugin. For the diagnostics I'm completely locked out once the plugin is installed. The webpage will just spin and eventual time out. I can remove the plugin and download the diagnostic, would this help at all or do you need to see it with the plugin installed. 

Before the P2000 I had a very old GeForce GT 710 just so the server would post and do very minimal transcoding and it worked as expected.

Edited by jtmoore81
3 minutes ago, jtmoore81 said:

I had a very old GeForce GT 710 just so the server would post and do very minimal transcoding and it worked as expected.

So I think is has something to do with the P2000...

Are you sure that it is working properly?

On what kind of hardware are you running the P2000?

I now got a few reports of dying P2000's but the last one is now 3 months ago.

Keep in mind this is just a guess... :)

5 minutes ago, jtmoore81 said:

For the diagnostics I'm completely locked out once the plugin is installed. The webpage will just spin and eventual time out.

Try to ssh into the server and try to type in 'diagnostics' this will actually save a Diagnostics.zip on your boot device after you installed the driver, if this also fails then I think there is something wrong with the card...

Can you connect a monitor to the P2000 so you actually can see what's going on after you installed the driver?

Eventually type in 'tail -f /var/log/syslog' on the physical machine with a connected monitor to see what's going on.

20 minutes ago, ich777 said:

So I think is has something to do with the P2000...

Are you sure that it is working properly?

On what kind of hardware are you running the P2000?

I now got a few reports of dying P2000's but the last one is now 3 months ago.

Keep in mind this is just a guess... :)

Try to ssh into the server and try to type in 'diagnostics' this will actually save a Diagnostics.zip on your boot device after you installed the driver, if this also fails then I think there is something wrong with the card...

Can you connect a monitor to the P2000 so you actually can see what's going on after you installed the driver?

Eventually type in 'tail -f /var/log/syslog' on the physical machine with a connected monitor to see what's going on.

I hope it's not dying....

I tried putting the old GPU back in and it's now having the same problem. Every time I try to get a diagnostic and just spins or times out and doesn't produce anything.

After you installed the Nvidia Driver?

Try to shut down the server entirely and then pull the power cord from the wall, press the on/off and reset button a few times (to empty the caps) wait for at least 30 seconds and turn on the server again.

17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

After you installed the Nvidia Driver?

Try to shut down the server entirely and then pull the power cord from the wall, press the on/off and reset button a few times (to empty the caps) wait for at least 30 seconds and turn on the server again.

Yes, after I installed the Nvidia Driver. 

I was able to ssh into the server and it's currently running diagnostics. How long does this normally take it's been saying starting diagnostics collection for a few minutes.

I waited a while and found no logs were produced and it had frozen.

I'll shut down and do the power cord process in a few minutes. 

Edit: I am at a loss, here. It seems like the plugin installs ok but then the issue happens when I reboot the Docker service. I've attached the logs that I was able to get after the plugin install but before the Docker container service was restarted.

bender-diagnostics-20210501-1224.zip

Edited by jtmoore81