[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

Is there any docker container I can use after installing this nvidia driver to test my GPU is actually working (under moderate stress)

The reason I ask is I bought a GTX 1650 off ebay (sold as fully working open box) and whilst I can install windows VM, nvidia drivers and the desktop shows fine, any time I run a game or directx/opengl demo, the software immediately freezes / crashes back to the windows desktop.

I don't have another computer to try it on hence thought this could be a simple way to test without needing to worry if its a passthrough issue or not..

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Ptolemyiv said:

Is there any docker container I can use after installing this nvidia driver to test my GPU is actually working (under moderate stress)

That depends, you can of course try the for example the Phoenixminer from @lnxd or you could try Jellyfin if you got some video files that you can transcode (please read the second post of this thread how to do that for example with Jellyfin and add all the necessary parameters to the container).

• Like 1
Just now, ich777 said:

That depends, you can of course try the for example the Phoenixminer from @lnxd or you could try Jellyfin if you got some video files that you can transcode (please read the second post of this thread how to do that for example with Jellyfin and add all the necessary parameters to the container).

Thanks - was hoping something even simpler like a retro 3d demo but can try one of these!

4 minutes ago, Ptolemyiv said:

Thanks - was hoping something even simpler like a retro 3d demo but can try one of these!

You can also try my DebianBuster-Nvidia container but it can be a little complicated to setup (this container has Steam preinstalled and is meant to stream your Steam games through Steam-In-Home-Streaming and has a VNC webinterface to set everything up).

Ok thanks v much and the latter looks particularly impressive...

Out of curiosity have you ever seen a symptom like I am experiencing whereby I have seemingly passed through my GPU (albeit UEFI boot only with CSM enabled) and the Windows desktop will operate fine but the moment I run a game or demo just that software freezes or crashes...

I've tried a lot of things including new vm templates, diff driver versions, techpowerup and direct bios dump (albeit latter was 124KB vs 1MB for hex edited techpowerup!)..

I guess my main paranoia is if I got sold a dud on eBay or not..

3 hours ago, Ptolemyiv said:

Out of curiosity have you ever seen a symptom like I am experiencing whereby I have seemingly passed through my GPU

This seems like a defective GPU but I can not tell for sure.

Have you eventually someone who have a spare PC where you can put the GPU in?

Also if you use the latest Nvidia driver you should not need a BIOS file for the GPU.

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

This seems like a defective GPU but I can not tell for sure.

Have you eventually someone who have a spare PC where you can put the GPU in?

Also if you use the latest Nvidia driver you should not need a BIOS file for the GPU.

Ok thanks - I am coming to the same conclusion. Re no need for a bios file, is that nvidia driver in windows or elsewhere? Why is this out of curiosity?

--

So I've installed your driver to try it out within a docker container - Plex transcoding appears to work initially (shows 'hw') but then freezes the moment i try to e.g. jump forward by 30 secs - no such issue in software transcoding.

On PhoenixMiner the log reads - ignorantly, I would take this to mean the GPU memory is dud or such but interested to get your wisdom (I should be able to claim under ebay/paypal but obviously want to be as sure as possible)

CUDA version: 11.0, CUDA runtime: 8.0
OpenCL driver version: 20.20-1089974-ubuntu-20.04
Available GPUs for mining:
GPU1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (pcie 1), CUDA cap. 7.5, 3.8 GB VRAM, 14 CUs
Unable to load NVML
Eth: the pool list contains 1 pool (1 from command-line)
Eth: primary pool: asia1.ethermine.org:4444
Starting GPU mining
Eth: Connecting to ethash pool asia1.ethermine.org:4444 (proto: EthProxy)
Eth: Connected to ethash pool asia1.ethermine.org:4444 (172.65.231.156)
Eth: New job #79db64b9 from asia1.ethermine.org:4444; diff: 4295MH
GPU1: Starting up... (0)
GPU1: Generating ethash light cache for epoch #413
Listening for CDM remote manager at port 5450 in read-only mode
Eth: New job #26f4df4b from asia1.ethermine.org:4444; diff: 4295MH
Eth: New job #d2b91bb9 from asia1.ethermine.org:4444; diff: 4295MH
Light cache generated in 2.0 s (33.1 MB/s)
GPU1: Allocating DAG (4.24) GB; good for epoch up to #415
CUDA error in CudaProgram.cu:388 : out of memory (2)
GPU1: CUDA memory: 3.82 GB total, 3.77 GB free
GPU1 initMiner error: out of memory
Fatal error detected. Restarting.

*** 0:00 *** 5/9 23:30 **************************************
Eth: Mining ETH on asia1.ethermine.org:4444 for 0:00
Available GPUs for mining:
GPU1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (pcie 1), CUDA cap. 7.5, 3.8 GB VRAM, 14 CUs
Current -gt 15
Eth: Accepted shares 0 (0 stales), rejected shares 0 (0 stales)
Eth: Incorrect shares 0 (0.00%), est. stales percentage 0.00%
Eth: Average speed (5 min): 0.000 MH/s

Edited by Ptolemyiv
7 hours ago, Ptolemyiv said:

So I've installed your driver to try it out within a docker container - Plex transcoding appears to work initially (shows 'hw') but then freezes the moment i try to e.g. jump forward by 30 secs - no such issue in software transcoding.

Do you own a Plex Pass and have you enabled hardware transcoding in the App itself? From where did you try to play a movie?

I got some reports that if you try it from the webclient that in some instances it doesn't work that you start watching a movie and then skip around in the timeline (Android and all other platforms work fine).

On PhoenixMiner the log reads - ignorantly, I would take this to mean the GPU memory is dud or such but interested to get your wisdom (I should be able to claim under ebay/paypal but obviously want to be as sure as possible)

What card is this exactly? A 4GB card? I think you need at least a card with more than 4GB of VRAM because the DAG is about 4.24GB from the output of your logs.

I would strongly recommend that you try it in another computer.

Re no need for a bios file, is that nvidia driver in windows or elsewhere? Why is this out of curiosity?

Look here: Click

Or this thread on the forums: Click

On 5/10/2021 at 6:02 AM, ich777 said:

Do you own a Plex Pass and have you enabled hardware transcoding in the App itself? From where did you try to play a movie?

I got some reports that if you try it from the webclient that in some instances it doesn't work that you start watching a movie and then skip around in the timeline (Android and all other platforms work fine).

What card is this exactly? A 4GB card? I think you need at least a card with more than 4GB of VRAM because the DAG is about 4.24GB from the output of your logs.

I would strongly recommend that you try it in another computer.

Look here: Click

Or this thread on the forums: Click

Ok thanks - will try and open up my mItx then and extract out its beloved rtx 2070 I got as a retrospective steal in April 2020!

Re plex, yes I have plex pass and set it up according to your guide and was running a 4k video on my phone set to max 1080p quality - the UI showed this accurately but the video froze.

Will keep you posted - looks like will need to find a stopgap cheap basic nvidia gpu in interim (just for windows vm hosting blue iris).. something like a GT 710 I guess?? Blue iris won't be hardware accelerated on that basis but its just to make the vm function.

Thanks again

UPDATE:

So I ran memtestG80 which test's GPU VRAM - it works in 128 MB iterations and starts off fine and then suddenly throws off a ton of errors... got the same result from OCCT testing software.

Interestingly enough the ebay seller immediately accepted my return... pretty horrible situation for many whereby its impossible to buy anything but the most basic GPUs new! 

UPDATE2:

Am pleased to say I returned that card and got a refund.. then "splashed out" on a 1660, just about squeezed it into the case and passthrough works immediately with no crashes on demos at all :)

So much time wasted thanks to a lovely dodgy ebay seller!!

Edited by Ptolemyiv
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, higundamhws said:

If I have 2 gpu in unraid, is it able passthrough one for VM and another one using this plugin?

Yes, bind the one that you want to use in the VM to VFIO (Tools -> System Devices and mark all the check boxes that are for the specific GPU and click Bind to VFIO) and then install the Plugin and reboot.

The one that's bound to VFIO will not be visible to Unraid, at least not to the system itself but to the VM's.

Hope that makes sense to you.

4 hours ago, Sanborn said:

How do I manually set fanspeed with unRAID CL?

This is not possible from what I know.

You need nvidia-settings for that and nvidia-settings depends on a GUI or better speaking X server.

You can set power limtis for the card with nvidia-smi but not fan speeds.

I have a problem with the GPU being detected in nvidia-smi but no matter how many times I try to set it up Plex refuses to use the GPU to transcode. Works fine in VMs, nothing is binded, nothing is changed in syslinux config, Ive attempted every other driver. Everything worked fine until the old plugin stopped being supported. Im also on the latest version of unraid.

I have to be doing something wrong 

3 minutes ago, GuyNamedTyler said:

I am using the linuxserver's Repository, I attempted with official and benhex and both had the same behavior. 

Both the variable and the extra parameters have been set multiple times. No extra spaces or typos 

What card do you own and what type of content did you try to transcode?

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What card do you own and what type of content did you try to transcode?

NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660]

I've attempted 1080p > 720p with h.264 and h.265, 4k > 1080p, all were .mp4 and .mkv

Movies, TV shows, ignores the GPU every time 

Edited by GuyNamedTyler
1 minute ago, GuyNamedTyler said:

Movies, TV shows, ignores the GPU every time 

Can you eventually try to install my Jellyfin container and add the necessary variables and try to transcode a file? Only for troubleshooting reasons...

Description is actually in the second post.

17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you eventually try to install my Jellyfin container and add the necessary variables and try to transcode a file? Only for troubleshooting reasons...

Description is actually in the second post.

Just installed binhex-jellyfin to test and same behavior

Added the variables, enabled HW transcoding in the settings, CPU still doing all the transcoding  

Card never leaves the P0 power state 

Just now, GuyNamedTyler said:

Just installed binhex-jellyfin to test and same behavior

Please install my Jellyfin container as said in the above post (since I know that it is working).

Have you set all the necessary variables? Please also send a screenshot from the template.

16 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please install my Jellyfin container as said in the above post (since I know that it is working).

Have you set all the necessary variables? Please also send a screenshot from the template.

Sorry misread that part. 

Capture1.thumb.PNG.702759418a8737225d1dd72a5d992eb2.PNG

Capture6.thumb.PNG.6ee708f5d87341d967b6d77e5298103c.PNG

Capture5.thumb.PNG.cc2aabbf19c25224da6ebe05191dccff.PNG

Capture7.thumb.PNG.7ffa5f9c71e553d638d5bce7ca84f544.PNG

So with this one the videos either do the same thing, wont use the GPU, or I get this playback error 

Capture4.PNG.5576069183f4074bd67e4f2db06ef665.PNG

GPU seems to still be detected 

Capture8.thumb.PNG.5adbea170d0be23179f95f14279e61ac.PNG