SSD Harddisks for max nextcloud speed

Hello everybody

I have now finished my Unraid Server. It is in a server room in the company behind a Nethserver firewall. Open ports are only 80, 443 and another one for VPN connection.

Specification:
- 128 GB RAM
- 2 x Xeon E5645 CPU
- SuperMicro X8DA3 motherboard
- LAN GigaBit

The following instances run on it:
- nextcloud VM
- NginxProxyManager Docker
- MariaDB Docker
- Wordpress Docker

The following array:
- 2 x 4TB parity
- 2 x 3TB data disk

Backups:
- AppData, UsbData, nextcloud data goes to an unassigned 2TB disk (every Monday)
- nextcloud VM goes to a separate unassigned disk 1.5TB (every night, exept Monday)

Now I have 2 HD slots free for the new 2 Samsung SSD 500 GB.

1. How do I best proceed to configure this? Just shut down the server, take out the 2 old HDs and put the new ones in?
2. Start up and take the 2 new SSDs into the array as cache drives?

The aim is for the nextcloud VM to benefit as much as possible from the SSD speed while taking maximum data security into account.

What share settings do I have to configure?

Could someone kindly give me some tips? I'm not really familiar with caching yet.

I appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Gregor

grafik.thumb.png.ca5b086466bb57a1c511922026f27d8f.png

Are you really running nextcloud in a VM and not as a docker?

19 minutes ago, cracksilver said:

Do you mean just the user share of nextcloud  (which is mounted in nextcloud VM) or also appdata and domain share?

Are you asking about the cache setting for the user share, or about which user share needs backup?

20 minutes ago, cracksilver said:

How to set interval for the mover?

Do you mean you don't want the cloud data to stay on cache?

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

Are you really running nextcloud in a VM and not as a docker?

Are you asking about the cache setting for the user share, or about which user share needs backup?

Do you mean you don't want the cloud data to stay on cache?

Yes my nextcloud is in running in a VM with all other components (mariadb, onlyoffice, etc.)

I'm asking about the cache settings for the user share, domain share and appdata share. I can choose prefer or yes. What exactly is the difference?

I'm looking for the fast and save solution ;-)

17 minutes ago, cracksilver said:

I'm asking about the cache settings for the user share, domain share and appdata share.

Now you have me wondering about how you have appdata, domains, and system shares already configured.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:07 AM, trurl said:

Now you have me wondering about how you have appdata, domains, and system shares already configured.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

If you have some time to look inside the diagnostic.zip it  would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Of course nothing you can do about this until you actually have cache.

You have appdata,domains,system shares all on the array and set as cache-no. These will always have open files whenever Docker and VM services are enabled. This will keep array disks spinning, and Dockers / VMs will have performance impacted by slower parity.

Setting these to cache-prefer would get them moved to cache where they belong, except Mover can't move open files. So in addition to changing appdata,domains,system shares to cache-prefer, you have to go to Settings and disable Dockers and VMs then run Mover.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, trurl said:

Of course nothing you can do about this until you actually have cache.

You have appdata,domains,system shares all on the array and set as cache-no. These will always have open files whenever Docker and VM services are enabled. This will keep array disks spinning, and Dockers / VMs will have performance impacted by slower parity.

Setting these to cache-prefer would get them moved to cache where they belong, except Mover can't move open files. So in addition to changing appdata,domains,system shares to cache-prefer, you have to go to Settings and disable Dockers and VMs then run Mover.

Thanx and sorry for no answer, I did not get any message...

Ok, if I have to stop the VM to run the mover correctly the cache option is not the best option for me. I can't stopp it every night when mover should run.

Is there another option to stop the VM automaticly? Otherwise I would decide against the cache option and let it run as it runs.