Passthrough GPU for VM- I can start it but not see/access it

dbr1

Forgive me as I am a novice...

I have created a Windows 10 VM. At first, I was using the VNC graphic card, and when I started the VM, could open a window in VNC to see it and use it.

Then, I enabled VT-d on my motherboard and assigned my Nvidia GPU as the graphics card. This enables me to start the VM, but I have no idea to actually see and use the VM!

What am I missing here? Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, dbr1 said:

assigned my Nvidia GPU as the graphics card. This enables me to start the VM, but I have no idea to actually see and use the VM!

If passthrough is working properly, the VM screen should appear on one of the outputs of the graphics card. The easiest way to troubleshoot this kind of thing is to install something like nomachine while you have VNC access, then you can connect using nomachine if the VM is booting completely.

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

If passthrough is working properly, the VM screen should appear on one of the outputs of the graphics card. The easiest way to troubleshoot this kind of thing is to install something like nomachine while you have VNC access, then you can connect using nomachine if the VM is booting completely.

Thanks. I can access it using VNC when I turn off the pass through but not when I reconfigure it that way and restart.

Now that I think about it, the GPU on the server is already wired to a monitor and that might be the problem, will disconnect it tomorrow and see if that changes things.

• 4 months later...

So I've verified the GPU is being passed through using nomachine/VNC.  I was able to install the Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu.  But I'm still not seeing any option to connect to the VM after switching back to GPU passthrough and starting it.  I only have Stop, Pause, Restart, Hibernate, Force Stop, Logs and Edit.  So I'm still at a loss at how to connect to the VM directly.  nomachine is OK, but if I try to make it go full screen the keyboard starts freaking out when I type.

• 3 months later...

No, I never did. My unraid has been running as my backup storage solution, I have installed Nextcloud as well for a personal cloud, but I haven't had time to dig in and get this figured out yet.

I think that I saw that 'Space Invaders' did an update on this process, when I have time I intend to try to make this work again.

Edited by dbr1
edit