Asterisk or Trixbox on Un-Raid

Hello -

I'm a newcomer to this forum  - I've used Linux, but not recently, and I just started contemplating a couple of project on Linux, when I came across un-Raid.

I wanted to install a home based IP-PBX, based on Asterisk, and also a family file & print server. un-raid seems to be a good option for the second part (perhaps without the print function), but I'd also want to load on it the PBX application. Anybody has done this before, any advice on how to put the two together?

Thank you,

Hgeorges

• 1 month later...

Honestly I'd run Asterisk on another machine. There are a couple of small hardware platforms that it can be run on including the Netgear WGT634U router and the NSLU2 "slug". You'll need some little PBX type devices for connecting to copper unless you have VOIP phones but Linksys PAP2s aren't hard to find on Ebay and neither are the Digium S101is - all of those are LOW power devices.

It's easier to get Asterisk running on a spare PC with sayTrix but if you're going to got the trouble of slimming it down for an unRAID you might as well put the same effort into one of those other boxes and keep the data seperate\safe IMO.

P.s. No,not an Asterisk "expert" (I wish) but it's been of interest to me too so I've played around with it and have the hardware I listed. Gotta' love fleabay!

P.P.S. Oh, don't have the "Slug" yet. you might alsobe able to get Asterisk running on a WRT54GS router <shrug>

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than try to get Asterisk going on unRAID, and since I need Asterisk up 7x24, and want it to run through any power outage, I ended up getting a fanless mini-ITX EPIA Via mobo off of eBay... with a spare 40GB laptop hard drive it serves as my Asterisk box.  Using the 97% efficient picoPSU, it pulls only 8 Watts (yes, 8 Watts) at idle.  Plus, the self-contained Trixbox package with CentOS greatly simplifies administration.