[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

29 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

What I have plugged in at the moment is 3 x Sony Playtv Tuners and I am using the libreelec drivers.

When I have 2 plugged in TVheadend (linuxserver.io version 4.2.8), it sees 4 tuners and tunes fine.

When I add a third it detects the 6 tuners in the config page but only 5 in the wizard page for tuning.

I think this has something to do with TVHeadend but I'm maybe wrong since I don't got that many tuners... :D

Please also keep in mind that I only implemented to display 8 tuners on the plugin page itself... :)

Also try to open up a Unraid command promt and issue the command: 'ls /dev/dvb' and post the output here please.

you should see all tuners that are available in Unraid.

May I ask if the tuners work OOB after a reboot?

Also are you sure that the tuners are split accross multiple USB Root Hubs?

5 hours ago, Spriggy said:

I did reboot the server once I installed the Plugin.

What I have plugged in at the moment is 3 x Sony Playtv Tuners and I am using the libreelec drivers.

When I have 2 plugged in TVheadend (linuxserver.io version 4.2.8), it sees 4 tuners and tunes fine.

When I add a third it detects the 6 tuners in the config page but only 5 in the wizard page for tuning.

Should I be using a different driver? Or is this a TVheadend issue?

Regards,

dont bother with the wizard, your adapters are there so it looks all good when the tuners work.

• Thanks 1

1. Thank you for the work on this plugin and getting TV to work easily!

I've been experiencing some major stability issues every since I installed this though.  I don't know if it's this plugin or Unraid 6.9.0-rc2.

Prior to this I was running the stable branch of Unraid - 6.8.3 and I had a flawless 100+ day uptime.  Now I need to manually reboot my system every 3 days.

The Unraid UI becomes unresponsive, all my docker containers become unresponsive, all my VMs are down, but I can SSH into the machine fine and when I check 

I get everything is fine.

I'm struggling to get stability back my system because I rely on a number of things that it's running.  I'd love some help trying to troubleshoot or solve this problem of mine.

4 hours ago, lord xeon said:

I'm struggling to get stability back my system because I rely on a number of things that it's running.  I'd love some help trying to troubleshoot or solve this problem of mine.

Can you try to run the server without my Plugin for a few days for troubleshooting reasons to narrow down what's the problem?

What drivers are you using?

I run my server with the DigitalDevices drivers.

EDIT: Have you installed a VM on the server? If so is the Networking set to virtio-net?

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you installed a VM on the server? If so is the Networking set to virtio-net?

I have 3 (three) Linux VMs running on the server, all set to the virtio network model.

EDIT - I have removed the plugin but kept Unraid 6.9.0-rc2 I'll see how the stability goes.

Edited by lord xeon
add plugin status update
Just now, ich777 said:

Anything in your syslog?

Is it a option to uninstall the Plugin und not use DVB for a few days to narrow down the lock ups?

I haven't noticed anything.  I have uninstalled and re-booted my system.  I'll see if that helps and report back.

The plugin was working perfectly and I was able to use it in the TVHeadEnd Docker Container - I had recorded TV and all.

I'll keep you updated.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, ich777 said:

Glad to hear that everything works ;)

Please feel free to contact me again if something isn't working but it should at least... :)

Apologies that it took me that long to report back as I was too busy.

Just wanted to confirm to you and any one that intend to use tbs 6909 tuners that your plugin works perfectly with those tuners using TBS opensource drivers.

I have 2 tbs 6909 and both are detected in TVHeadend lunixserver container. Note that the plugin information shows only 8 tuners. However, inside the container all 16 tuners are showing.

I cannot thank you enough for the great job!

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 6:15 AM, ich777 said:

Can you try to run the server without my Plugin for a few days for troubleshooting reasons to narrow down what's the problem?

What drivers are you using?

I run my server with the DigitalDevices drivers.

EDIT: Have you installed a VM on the server? If so is the Networking set to virtio-net?

do you run a Vm?

currently i‘m running 6.8.1 and the old dvb Version of Unraid from linuxserver.io...

I‘m a littlebit afraid of upgrading, because there‘s no ability of downgrade to the Unraid v6.8.1 dvb Edition.

i‘m using digitial devices dvb-c2, 4 tuners, (tvheadend Docker) and have one Windows 10 vm running for downloading youtube videos... are there any known problems?

edit: and what about the i2c errors?

need this to be added to the syslinux.cfg?

ddbridge.msi=0

Edited by AcidRainX
1 hour ago, AcidRainX said:

do you run a Vm?

No. Why should I?

I‘m a littlebit afraid of upgrading, because there‘s no ability of downgrade to the Unraid v6.8.1 dvb Edition.

That's not true.

Just back up you bz* files from you USB Boot device the you have a backup of 6.8.1 with DVB.

Youcan also look at my Unraid-Kernel-Helper thread there are prebuilt images for 6.8.3 with LibreElec drivers which also work with DD Cards.

And if you want to you can always build a 6.9.0RC2 with DD builtin or you just run the plugin.

i‘m using digitial devices dvb-c2, 4 tuners

Me too. ;)

edit: and what about the i2c errors?

need this to be added to the syslinux.cfg?

ddbridge.msi=0

Exactly but I don't experinece the I2C errors anymore.

That's a thing that is documented on the DD page what you have to append if you got any problems or want to switch to Unicable on DVB-S cards or TBS cards.

Haven't got time and have to say that I almost forgot about that because no one asked until now to document that on in the first post.

• Like 1

Today I had to restart my server as I was having an issue with WireGuard plugin. When I did, I noticed that TVheadend container (by linuxserver) is not starting and receiving "Execution error, server error" when I start it manually.

I deleted TVheadend container and redownloaded it and received another error that it could not find the /dev/dvb/ directory. I checked the plugin and noticed that it doesn't recognize my DVB cards anymore. I chose TBS-OpenSource drivers again and restarted the server, the same result. I opened the terminal and navigated to /dev and couldn't find the /dvd directory.

I'm not an expert, but I have a feeling that it has to do with loading components and devices sequence, probably the plugin was loaded before unRAID recognizing the cards? Note that the TBS cards are listed in Tools -> System Devices.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Note: I'm using unRAID 6.9.0-rc2 with Kernel 5.10.1

29 minutes ago, Ziryab said:

When I did, I noticed that TVheadend container (by linuxserver) is not starting and receiving "Execution error, server error" when I start it manually.

Try the next time you experience such an error to go into the template and change a value and set it back to it's default (that's necessary to click on 'Apply') and then hit 'Apply' in the following window you will receive a much more detailed error message, instead of installing it again.

I chose TBS-OpenSource drivers again and restarted the server, the same result.

Can you try to shutdown the server completely, pull the main power cord from it, press for 5 or 10 seconds the on/off switch and the reset button (without the main power cord connected to empty the caps), then put the main power cord back into the server and boot it up again.

I experience the same on my DigitalDevices cards randomly after reboots, sometimes on card is gone sometimes both cards (I think something hangs up on the controller chip on the cards and prevent the Kernel module from loading).

If that doesn't help please post the syslog here.

Note that the TBS cards are listed in Tools -> System Devices.

This is completely unrelated since every hardware shows up there under normal circumstances.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Try the next time you experience such an error to go into the template and change a value and set it back to it's default (that's necessary to click on 'Apply') and then hit 'Apply' in the following window you will receive a much more detailed error message, instead of installing it again.

Can you try to shutdown the server completely, pull the main power cord from it, press for 5 or 10 seconds the on/off switch and the reset button (without the main power cord connected to empty the caps), then put the main power cord back into the server and boot it up again.

I experience the same on my DigitalDevices cards randomly after reboots, sometimes on card is gone sometimes both cards (I think something hangs up on the controller chip on the cards and prevent the Kernel module from loading).

If that doesn't help please post the syslog here.

This is completely unrelated since every hardware shows up there under normal circumstances.

As I don't have physical access to the server currently (I'm remote accessing it from work), I did extra troubleshooting as below and it's working again.

• Changed the drivers to LibreElec -> reboot = didn't work
  • Changed the drivers to TBS-OpenSource -> reboot = didn't work
  • Deleted the plugin -> reboot -> downloaded the plugin and changed the drivers to TBS-OpenSource -> reboot = WORKED!

However, I guess your statement regarding the controller chip is correct. Before using your plugin, I used to passthrough the cards to ubuntu VM and sometimes the cards doesn't load after reboots. However, changing the "PCIe ACS override" VM settings and getting them back again to what I need them to be solves the problem. Or maybe just a bug in unRAID 6.9 rc2.

Again, I'm not an expert here and just guessing. As usual, thanks @ich777 and apologies for jumping to the forums without taking the extra mile of troubleshooting, but hopefully it will help someone who is facing the same issue or helps someone to figure out what causes the issue.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ziryab said:

Or maybe just a bug in unRAID 6.9 rc2.

I think this is not related because I basically had that on all versions of Unraid, to me this seems like a completely hardware dependent problem with the DVB Cards.

3 minutes ago, Ziryab said:

Deleted the plugin -> reboot -> downloaded the plugin and changed the drivers to TBS-OpenSource -> reboot = WORKED!

Now it works?

3 minutes ago, Ziryab said:

Again, I'm not an expert here and just guessing. As usual, thanks @ich777 and apologies for jumping to the forums without taking the extra mile of troubleshooting, but hopefully it will help someone who is facing the same issue or helps someone to figure out what causes the issue.

Even if you are having not access to the physical server what you could do is that you turn of the power of your server and wait for at least a minute (I do that with a smart power plug if something begins to hang I have always the ability to hard shutdown of the server and connect to my OpenVPN server that's on my Firewall) and fire it back up.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think this is not related because I basically had that on all versions of Unraid, to me this seems like a completely hardware dependent problem with the DVB Cards.

Probably you are right, as I faced a similar issue with ubuntu VM. But probably there is something triggering a reset to make it work again. In ubuntu case, changing the ACS settings, in the plugin case, deleting and reinstalling the plugin.

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Now it works?

Perfectly working with all 16 tuners showing up in TVheadend.

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Even if you are having not access to the physical server what you could do is that you turn of the power of your server and wait for at least a minute (I do that with a smart power plug if something begins to hang I have always the ability to hard shutdown of the server and connect to my OpenVPN server that's on my Firewall) and fire it back up.

I'm using 2 smart plugs currently, one for the modem and another one for the AC in the server room (I live in a desert and gotta make those drives cool!). Just ordered a third one because I'm jealous that you could do it and I can't! 😜

• Like 1

I am attempting to get FireWire support working again since Unraid DVB has been deprecated and this driver package was suggested to me as the logical replacement.

However, I've review this thread and I don't see anything specifically pertaining to FireWire support being offered by this package.  Nevertheless, I've upgraded to Unraid 6.9 rc2, installed, and tried all four options (rebooting each time), but my FireWire card is never detected.

Can anyone offer any insights on this?  Right now, I use FW to do channel changing on some Motorolla STB units and if I can get the basic driver support going again, all should be good.

All help is appreciated!

9 hours ago, -=Striker=- said:

Right now, I use FW to do channel changing on some Motorolla STB units and if I can get the basic driver support going again, all should be good.

Can you tell me which card it is so I can look into it?

The DVB package includes only DVB modules (and USB Camera modules).

EDIT: But this would something for my Unraid-Kernel-Helper thread...

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you tell me which card it is so I can look into it?

The DVB package includes only DVB modules (and USB Camera modules).

EDIT: But this would something for my Unraid-Kernel-Helper thread...

Here is the output from LSPCI:

image.png.07d89916bd0421b710faa1d58a8d93b4.png

This is the card I ordered from Amazon incase the above info isn't enough:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00006B8EQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried installing the Unraid-Kernel-Helper (both the docker container and the plugin), however when I go to Unraid Settings, launch the UKH plugin, and click on the 1-IQN tab, it just start constantly flickering and I have to close the browser tab.

I can also add that the devices I'm connecting are Motorola DCX3200m digital cable boxes.

Also, I don't know how much light it sheds, but in this thread, @CHBMB indicates that he enabled FireWire support in Unraid DVB kernel on February 9, 2017.

If you (@ich777) would prefer to continue this in the Unraid Kernel Helper thread, i'm happy to move the conversation over there!

Edited by -=Striker=-
Adding reference to @ich777 and UKH thread
5 hours ago, ich777 said:

Yes but that's not my approach to DVB, since these are the DVB drivers, I will look into it as soon as possible...

Haven't got much spare time at the moment...

I totally understand.  With my above comment, I wasn't suggesting that these need to be included in the DVB package again, I was simply stating that it had been done previously in case referencing a code check-in (if that's even accessible to you) would be of benefit.  Also that based on the previous comments, it appears to be something that was a simple broad stroke inclusion of general driver support, so hopefully it isn't a huge investment of effort and time for you to implement.

If including it through the Unraid Kernel Helper makes more sense, I'm onboard with that!

On 1/29/2021 at 8:43 AM, lord xeon said:

I haven't noticed anything.  I have uninstalled and re-booted my system.  I'll see if that helps and report back.

The plugin was working perfectly and I was able to use it in the TVHeadEnd Docker Container - I had recorded TV and all.

I'll keep you updated.

UPDATE:

I uninstalled the plugin and was able to keep track of things for a few days and noticed something in the syslog related to the 6.8.x to 6.9.2 upgrade and networking in VMs.  I'm sorry for missing that.  I was able to catch that and fix it before too long.

Without the plugin enabled, I had no problems with over a week of uptime.  I decided to try turning it on again and trouble arises.  I can go about 6 to 7 days with no problems and then one of my cores will show 100%.  Unpon ssh and running 

I see this:

unraid-100.PNG.f450170c572169eb1ad44c4aea8ea54e.PNG

kdvb-ad-0-fe-0 is at 100% and when this happens the server is more or less un-useable. I can't reboot or shut it down via command line or the UI, I have to hold the power button down.

15 hours ago, lord xeon said:

kdvb-ad-0-fe-0 is at 100% and when this happens the server is more or less un-useable. I can't reboot or shut it down via command line or the UI, I have to hold the power button down.

This thread is usualy started in TVHeadend and is related to the first tuner, what kind of drivers have you installed?