[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What modprobe is this?

Please do the following, reboot (with the plugin installed) and after the reboot open up a terminal and enter: 'lspci -v' and post the output here as a text file and also post your Diagnostics after you rebooted (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box).

I think this is because of the new build that I made but nothing I can do about that since I'm building the drivers from the latest master on Github.

Is something not working now?

I made modpobe on the cli of my unraid server.

Beside the dvb driver everything else is working expected.

lspic.txt htpc-tower-diagnostics-20210426-0924.zip

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

The LibreELEC drivers should just work fine with both cards, can you give me the full output from 'lspci -v' and paste it here as a text document after a fresh restart and the plugin installed?

I never designed this plugin to support multiple cards from different vendors at the same time, as said above the LibreELEC drivers should get you covered and support both cards.

Eventually in addition to the output form the command above please post your Diagnostics here (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded file here in the text box), eventually also a few screenshots from your tuner configuration from TVHeadend.

I have changed the drivers to Libreelec and it now hangs on boot. This is the output from the screen. 

20210426_091253.thumb.jpg.086235f98fdba25f66aae0da1beca849.jpg

I used SSH and did a reboot this way and it did the same thing.

Looks like its stuck on the install process. I have Piole installed on the server so changed my router to google DNS and rebooted again thinking this may be an issue. It then rebooted fine.

after the reboot its only showing the sky card. attached is a screenshot of the dvb drivers page. There are 3 screenshots showing the devices seen when using the TBS driver package.

I have run lspci and input here. Diagnostic file also attached.

Screen 1.PNG

screen 2.PNG

screen 3.PNG

screen 4.PNG

lspci.txt vaught-diagnostics-20210426-0947.zip

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you tried the LibreELEC drivers yet?

Yes i've done it now.

But it seems that the required drivers are not in the libreelec package, tbsecp3.

But if i read the Libreelec driver thread correctly the card should be supported.

Could you revert the driver package ?

Edited by pk1057
Extra info
2 hours ago, LeeK said:

Looks like its stuck on the install process. I have Piole installed on the server so changed my router to google DNS and rebooted again thinking this may be an issue. It then rebooted fine.

That shouldn't happen because I built in a mechanism that waits for about 30 seconds for an internet connection, can you give me a bit more details on how long you waited?

2 hours ago, LeeK said:

after the reboot its only showing the sky card. attached is a screenshot of the dvb drivers page. There are 3 screenshots showing the devices seen when using the TBS driver package.

This is really strange since I only see a "Philips Semiconductors SAA7160" and you DVBSky card in your output, is the Philips one the TBS card?

Also it shouldn't show up in TVHeadend if no module for the card is loaded.

1 hour ago, pk1057 said:

But it seems that the required drivers are not in the libreelec package, tbsecp3.

But if i read the Libreelec driver thread correctly the card should be supported.

Then there seems something else wrong.

1 hour ago, pk1057 said:

Could you revert the driver package ?

Yes of course I could but wouldn't it be better to investigate why it isn't working now because next time it will be the same when a new version is released.

53 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes, i will fire up your kernel build container and let the libreelec driver build. Then i can see if the tbs drivers are included correctly or probably identify a problem.

53 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes of course I could but wouldn't it be better to investigate why it isn't working now because next time it will be the same when a new version is released.

Well in the evening i need a working system..... to keep family happy

What puzzles me a little bit, you said ealrier the driver was build against unraid 3.8.2 but i'm running 3.9.2. Was it a typo or is there something messed up ?

Edited by pk1057
Details
38 minutes ago, ich777 said:

That shouldn't happen because I built in a mechanism that waits for about 30 seconds for an internet connection, can you give me a bit more details on how long you waited?

This is really strange since I only see a "Philips Semiconductors SAA7160" and you DVBSky card in your output, is the Philips one the TBS card?

Also it shouldn't show up in TVHeadend if no module for the card is loaded.

The reboot was stuck for over 10 minutes. I have removed pihole from the router and subsequent driver changes have rebooted fine so must be the issue something to do with DNS pointing to an ip not available. 

I have now installed minisatip to see if this shows anything else and when i use Libre i get the Sky card which shows 2 available and they work fine with the cables plugged in. I then install the TBS and it shows 4 i am in the process of using Nextpvr to scan for channels and copy accross to all 4 minisatip devices to see if this will allow me to tune to the tbs and sky cards as i only have 2 cables at the moment. I am waiting for both cards to work together before arranging for more cables to be installed.

Happy to rerun any tests that will hopefully show the issue?

Just finished the scan using libre and got the 800 channels etc. Installed TBS to see 4 devices and its hung on reboot again. Currently sitting at 300+ seconds and the same screen as previously shared showing both devices being found and then hangs.

Edited by LeeK
1 hour ago, pk1057 said:

What puzzles me a little bit, you said ealrier the driver was build against unraid 3.8.2 but i'm running 3.9.2. Was it a typo or is there something messed up ?

Just a typo I think, the plugin checks if a driver for your current Unraid version is available and built and downloads it.

I rebuilt drivers for 6.9.2 not for 6.8.2. ;)

53 minutes ago, LeeK said:

Just finished the scan using libre and got the 800 channels etc. Installed TBS to see 4 devices and its hung on reboot again.

Is it eventually possible that the TBS card is defective?

It seems that this have nothing to do with the DNS instead I think there is something wrong with the card or modules that it want to load.

Just out of curiosity, can you remove the TBS card from your system and try to boot up the server and try again to install the TBS drivers?

17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Just a typo I think, the plugin checks if a driver for your current Unraid version is available and built and downloads it.

I rebuilt drivers for 6.9.2 not for 6.8.2. ;)

Is it eventually possible that the TBS card is defective?

It seems that this have nothing to do with the DNS instead I think there is something wrong with the card or modules that it want to load.

Just out of curiosity, can you remove the TBS card from your system and try to boot up the server and try again to install the TBS drivers?

I can do this later as its currently recording.

Looking into options i am after this setup.

4 distinct channels to be played at any one time this allows multiple recordings. Currently only have 2 and its causing conflicts.

I can look to purchase another card (Quad) or is there something else i can do. Sky Q allows a hybrid LNB using i think its called wideband or highband to allow upto 6 channels from 2 cables is this available on PC?

The Quad im looking at is the TBS 6904 unless you can recommend any others? 

Edited by LeeK
35 minutes ago, LeeK said:

I can do this later as its currently recording.

Thank you, I also updated the plugin eventually this will also solve some problems but I don't think that it will change anything in your case.

37 minutes ago, LeeK said:

The Quad im looking at is the TBS 6904 unless you can recommend any others? 

I only can tell you that the DigitalDevices cards are really great mine run now for about 10 years (but it could be also longer) on various hardware and never got a single problem but they are more expensive than the TBS cards I think.

You can also look into Unicable since most tuners now support that feature, this allows you to run a single cable to the card and split it into 4 and you have effective 4 tuners available over one cable (only a new LNB is needed that supports Unicable, there are also Unicable LNB's out there that have in addition to the Unicable port the default outputs).

But I have to say I only got cable and never have to deal with DVB-S until now (I wish I had to deal with this because I don't get many channels here).

41 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Thank you, I also updated the plugin eventually this will also solve some problems but I don't think that it will change anything in your case.

I only can tell you that the DigitalDevices cards are really great mine run now for about 10 years (but it could be also longer) on various hardware and never got a single problem but they are more expensive than the TBS cards I think.

You can also look into Unicable since most tuners now support that feature, this allows you to run a single cable to the card and split it into 4 and you have effective 4 tuners available over one cable (only a new LNB is needed that supports Unicable, there are also Unicable LNB's out there that have in addition to the Unicable port the default outputs).

But I have to say I only got cable and never have to deal with DVB-S until now (I wish I had to deal with this because I don't get many channels here).

Firstly thankyou for all the support. 

Looked into Unicable and i think it will be cheaper for me to run 2 more cables myself at this time but will research this more in the future. 

I have found a TBS card with Quad tuners for a pretty good price its a TBS6985 will this work fine with the TBS modules?

Again thanks for everything.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, LeeK said:

I have found a TBS card with Quad tuners for a pretty good price its a TBS6985 will this work fine with the TBS modules?

If the product page says that it's supported on Linux it should run fine since if it's listed there the TBS-OS drivers on Github (which are the source for this plugin) should cover the card.

But keep in mind that I had not the best experiences with TBS Cards, they are cheap yes but the support is not the best.

Please also see the first post which modes are supported on quad tuner cards and what you have to do to enable the different available modes.

3 hours ago, pk1057 said:

Well in the evening i need a working system..... to keep family happy

So currently downgraded to 3.9.1 and gues what, is it as i already had in memory. All tuners are up flawlessly without error messages.

[   61.693918] mc: Linux media interface: v0.10
[   61.704226] videodev: Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[   61.726621] videobuf2_vmalloc: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[   61.728292] WARNING: You are using an experimental version of the media stack.
               As the driver is backported to an older kernel, it doesn't offer                                                                            enough quality for its usage in production.                

Use it with care.  Latest git patches (needed if you report a bug to [email protected]): ab9b5371651d5bdb9ec31df15c44a6a4978912ce add to support TBS6214 ISDB-T                                                                                                                                                                   
[   61.730146] TBSECP3 driver 0000:02:00.0: TurboSight TBS 6205 DVB-T/T2/C  
[   61.730458] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (TBSECP3 DVB Adapter)
[   61.852765] TBSECP3 driver 0000:02:00.0: MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
[   61.864305] i2c i2c-0: Added multiplexed i2c bus 4
[   61.864308] si2168 0-0064: Silicon Labs Si2168-B40 successfully identified
[   61.864309] si2168 0-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.2
[   61.870688] si2157 4-0060: Silicon Labs Si2147/2148/2157/2158 successfully attached
[   61.870704] TBSECP3 driver 0000:02:00.0: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (TurboSight TBS 6205 DVB-T/T2/C )...
[   61.870771] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (TBSECP3 DVB Adapter)
[   61.992718] TBSECP3 driver 0000:02:00.0: MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
[   62.000477] i2c i2c-1: Added multiplexed i2c bus 5
[   62.000480] si2168 1-0064: Silicon Labs Si2168-B40 successfully identified
[   62.000482] si2168 1-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.2
[   62.006507] si2157 5-0060: Silicon Labs Si2147/2148/2157/2158 successfully attached

The last lines are repeating for all tuners.
So we have to find out, newest updates, kernel or combination of both....

Ups, hoped to soon. As the docker started the same problem again:

TBSECP3 driver 0000:02:00.0: DVB: adapter 0 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (48000000..870000000)
[ 1227.745091] si2157 4-0060: found a 'Silicon Labs Si2158-A20'
[ 1227.745117] si2157 4-0060: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-tuner-si2158-a20-01.fw'
[ 1228.808697] si2157 4-0060: firmware download failed -11

Edited by pk1057

I've been having issues recently with my TV Tuner. I use a Hauppage QuadHD PCIe card, backend tvheadend, via 'antennas' to Plex (all in dockers). Some channels will not tune while others do, later on they'll be fine and others will fail. Using different tuners (1,2,3 or 4) for the playback sometimes works, sometimes doresn't. I haven't had this specific issue before, and just seems to have started recently (since around the 6.9.1/6.9.2 unraid version releases).

dmesg output seems to include the below errors several times, but no idea what they mean.

[166371.596864] AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=0e:00.0 domain=0x000f address=0xbd7ed1c8 flags=0x0000]
[166371.632766] cx23885: cx23885[1]: mpeg risc op code error

Like I said, I haven't had these errors before that i'm aware of, but could be it due to updated drivers? Can I roll back?

tvheadend throws lots of errors in the log too, including "invalid checksum", "continuity counter error" and "transport errors" when it doesn't play.

This is really driving me nuts, and the WAF of my network TV system is dropping significantly each day this keeps failing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.49fc9cd01803a81b315bb553445ca0e7.png

dmesg output.txt lspci-v output.txt

3 hours ago, Boo-urns said:

and just seems to have started recently (since around the 6.9.1/6.9.2 unraid version releases).

Are you using the LibreELEC drivers?

You can't roll back to a different version because they are pretty much the same and I only have to compile them for every Unraid version.

What you can do is to downgrade to the Unraid version that you think it worked before and try it again.

The LibreELEC drivers are not much different from the versions before.

Can it be that there is a physical problem with the cables?

Hi,

I have a mygica t230a, which did create dvb device, but did not work for at least dvb-c in the previous build of the plugin, using TBS-OS. So when I got notified on the update, I hoped that it might get it to work, but it actually got worse: It's not even recognized now.

I also tried the libreelec version, still no luck.

Now, I understand, this is a very new device, it is even possible that it's broken - I have not much else I can test it with. But I wonder, when can I expect this plugin to support it?

Related URLs I found on t230a:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/23142-mygica-t230a/?pageNo=1

https://github.com/crazycat69/linux_media/commit/e1ef47d604775c550a8f0d1bda276c113f882c9b

lsusb and dmesg attached.

Thanks for the help, and in general, for the plugin!

lsusb.txt dmesg.txt

14 minutes ago, andris said:

using TBS-OS

Isn't this a Geniatech device? I would strongly recommend to use LibreELEC instead of TBS-OS.

16 minutes ago, andris said:

It's not even recognized now

18 minutes ago, andris said:

But I wonder, when can I expect this plugin to support it?

The plugin is relying on the drivers that are built form the various sources (LibreELEC, DigitalDevices & TBS-OS) so it would be best to post a issue on Github for the LibreELEC drivers.

If possible please post your full Diagnostics here (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box) and I will take a closer look on it. ;)

It is _a_ Geniatech device. Not _the_ Geniatech device unfortunately - that would be the T230 and T230C.

I was using TBS-OS because it did seem to support it.  I also found this PR, in which, if I understand correctly got the drivers into the TBS kernel: https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/pull/230

However, I see no trace of similar modifications in the libreelec kernel.

Diagnostics attached, this time with LibreELEC drivers.

mikrobi-diagnostics-20210429-2251.zip

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

Are you using the LibreELEC drivers?

You can't roll back to a different version because they are pretty much the same and I only have to compile them for every Unraid version.

What you can do is to downgrade to the Unraid version that you think it worked before and try it again.

The LibreELEC drivers are not much different from the versions before.

Can it be that there is a physical problem with the cables?

Yes I'm running the LibreELEC drivers. 

I tried to eliminate the cable as the fault, by using another cable, however problem persists. Plus plugging the cable directly to a TV plays OTA channels perfectly.

Would downgrading Unraid make any difference? What effect would that have?

Also, would the DigitalDevices or TBS devices work with my Hauppage card?

Is it possible my card itself is being flaky?

Sorry for the million questions, I'd really like to resolve this issue.

Is there any other troubleshooting I could do?

8 hours ago, andris said:

It is _a_ Geniatech device. Not _the_ Geniatech device unfortunately - that would be the T230 and T230C.

From what I've read the LibreELEC drivers should also work but that's completely dependent on the Chipset that the manufacturer has put in the device.

I can't find much information about the T230A but here is the wiki from the T230C: Click

USB Tuners are a little hard to detect and always gave me issues, can you try to load the module by hand by doing something like: 'modprobe dvb_usb_dvbsky' from a terminal?

5 hours ago, Boo-urns said:

Would downgrading Unraid make any difference? What effect would that have?

That depends on which version you want to downgrade, the DVB Driver supports Unraid 6.9.0beta35+ but as said above I don't think that much changed in the driver itself.

5 hours ago, Boo-urns said:

Also, would the DigitalDevices or TBS devices work with my Hauppage card?

That's a thing I can't answer since I only got DigitalDevices and DVBSky cards in my system to test this and they both work flawlessly.

Is this your card: Click?

Can you try to append this to your syslinux.cfg: 'cx23885.dma_reset_workaround=2' (on Main click on the blue text that says "Flash" and append this like in the screenshot, click apply on the bottom and reboot):

grafik.thumb.png.2d0e59246d8c8938d48891f84897606f.png

46 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is this your card: Click?

Yep that's my card.

I've tried and only the libreelec driver actually recognise my card.

46 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you try to append this to your syslinux.cfg: 'cx23885.dma_reset_workaround=2' 

I've added the line as above and rebooted but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Some channels play, others don't, but there is a repeating error in the tvheadend docker log:

2021-04-30 16:13:06.752 [WARNING] linuxdvb: Silicon Labs Si2168 #2 : DVB-T #0 - poll TIMEOUT

The same channel plays fine when connected to a TV directly.

Any other suggestions or logs I can pull?

image.thumb.png.b46b5d92e6d421eaf5200c3c611f980b.png

Edited by Boo-urns
49 minutes ago, Boo-urns said:

Yep that's my card.

I've tried and only the libreelec driver actually recognise my card.

I've added the line as above and rebooted but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Some channels play, others don't, but there is a repeating error in the tvheadend docker log:

The same channel plays fine when connected to a TV directly.

Any other suggestions or logs I can pull?

Can you try to remove the line from your syslinux configuration again and select the TBS-OS source drivers and reboot after that?

I've found a few reports on Google after searching for that specific error, just put this line in the Google search text box:

linuxdvb: Silicon Labs Si2168 #2 : DVB-T #0 - poll TIMEOUT

Seems like the TBS-OS drivers support your card too.

Ok, I think I have the same problem as @pk1057. When using the libreelec driver, nothing happens on modprobe. When using the TBS drivers:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'dvb_usb_dvbsky': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg:

[46643.748070] videobuf2_vmalloc: Unknown symbol media_frame_vector_to_pages (err -2)
[46643.748107] videobuf2_vmalloc: Unknown symbol media_frame_vector_to_pfns (err -2)

(repeats a couple of time)

I'm pretty sure now that I need the TBS driver. I managed to build the driver from this repo on my desktop, and, if I understand correctly, that's what this plugin calls TBS-OS.

Unfortunately, I also found that altough DVB-T works with this driver, DVB-C does not seem to.

Edited by andris