[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

21 minutes ago, andris said:

Ok, I think I have the same problem as @pk1057. When using the libreelec driver, nothing happens on modprobe. When using the TBS drivers:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'dvb_usb_dvbsky': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg:

[46643.748070] videobuf2_vmalloc: Unknown symbol media_frame_vector_to_pages (err -2)
[46643.748107] videobuf2_vmalloc: Unknown symbol media_frame_vector_to_pfns (err -2)

(repeats a couple of time)

I'm pretty sure now that I need the TBS driver. I managed to build the driver from this repo on my desktop, and, if I understand correctly, that's what this plugin calls TBS-OS.

Unfortunately, I also found that altough DVB-T works with this driver, DVB-C does not seem to.

I will rebuild the drivers asap, eventually they fixed it already, please open up a issue on github with the error, it seems like there is something broken with the driver itself and nothing I can do about it.

Eventually send me the link to the isuue on github.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, ich777 said:

Can you try to remove the line from your syslinux configuration again and select the TBS-OS source drivers and reboot after that?

I've found a few reports on Google after searching for that specific error, just put this line in the Google search text box:

linuxdvb: Silicon Labs Si2168 #2 : DVB-T #0 - poll TIMEOUT

Seems like the TBS-OS drivers support your card too.

I've deleted the plugin, reinstalled, rebooted, selected the TBS-OS drivers and rebooted, and my card is not recognised at all. Do I need to do something specific to get the TBS drivers to work?

image.thumb.png.edd44ba759a2ec0f0c6b2a3ff1895630.png

Card is still listed however in 'lspci -v' output:

0d:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11, IOMMU group 14
        Memory at fc400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
        Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [90] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [200] Virtual Channel

0e:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10, IOMMU group 14
        Memory at fc200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
        Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [90] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [200] Virtual Channel

1 minute ago, Boo-urns said:

I've deleted the plugin, reinstalled, rebooted, selected the TBS-OS drivers and rebooted, and my card is not recognised at all. Do I need to do something specific to get the TBS drivers to work?

What is the output of 'dmesg' (please put the output in a textfile and drop it here in the textbox).

Try to do a 'modprobe cx23887'

3 hours ago, Boo-urns said:

dmesg attached.

modprobe returned:

Thank you for that, I don't think the TBS-OS drivers support this card, only the LibreELEC build.

I only can tell you that my DVBSky tuners in my dev machine work just fine with LibreELEC build and those are CX23885 based:

grafik.thumb.png.f4133cbca004a58d3592a8eee1e1f765.png

Have you changed anything on your hardware recently? Motherboard, CPU,...?

If this is a AMD system please look if a BIOS update is available.

I find only similar errors for the CX23885 based Hauppauge tuners and those mention about turning of IOMMU in the BIOS.

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

Thank you for that, I don't think the TBS-OS drivers support this card, only the LibreELEC build.

I only can tell you that my DVBSky tuners in my dev machine work just fine with LibreELEC build and those are CX23885 based:

grafik.thumb.png.f4133cbca004a58d3592a8eee1e1f765.png

Have you changed anything on your hardware recently? Motherboard, CPU,...?

If this is a AMD system please look if a BIOS update is available.

I find only similar errors for the CX23885 based Hauppauge tuners and those mention about turning of IOMMU in the BIOS.

Yeah I've reinstalled the LibreELEC drivers and it's recognised again.

My system is a Ryzen system (R7 1700) and I did upgrade the motherboard about 2 months ago. I do remember an IOMMU setting in the BIOS. So that should be turned OFF?

@andris & @pk1057 I had now access to a machine that has a TBS card installed and can now confirm that it's working again.

Please be sure to remove the plugin once to completely get the newest version of the plugin and also from the TBS-OS drivers (you have to be on version 2021.05.02) after you did the above steps reboot and you should be greeted with following screen:

grafik.thumb.png.c375a4afa90dabe7be946c24e0b5330f.png

28 minutes ago, pk1057 said:

Ok,

driver is loaded but firmware files are missing.

peter

You are completely right, will update the package shortly and report back.

Tried a few things yesterday and I think I uploaded the wrong file while the kids where screaming for his dad in the background... :D

Sorry for the inconvenience... :/

43 minutes ago, pk1057 said:

Ok,

driver is loaded but firmware files are missing.

Package now updated, you can do the same like always (delete the plugin, install it again, reboot) or delete the package itself by issuing the command: 'rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/dvb-driver/packages' from a Unraid terminal and reboot.

Yes, definitely don't include it yet. DVB-C doesn't work at all, and while I think I managed to set up an antenna well enough so it should be able to at least create the channel list, every time it reaches that point of the scan in tvheaded, the kernel throws a fatal error (not always the same, so I don't copy it here) and restarts the tuner.

I probably won't put any more effort into this unless I get help in the TBS-OS github. I already ordered the 230C/230Cv2 version, which should be well tested at this point. Anyone needs a 230A? :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, andris said:

I probably won't put any more effort into this unless I get help in the TBS-OS github. I already ordered the 230C/230Cv2 version, which should be well tested at this point. Anyone needs a 230A?

A PCIe version is no option for your server?

I got the best results with PCIe based cards and you can get them also for cheap, I got a DVBSky DVB-C card I think for about Eur. 40,- including shipping used and they support DVB-C/T/T2 (at least I think that it supports T2).

A PCIe version is no option for your server?

Well, it might be just a habit. I used DVB-T cards for a long time, but stopped when I moved 2 years ago. When I bought the dongle I used, PCIe support on linux were non-existant, and PCI on modern computers died out.

Half height cheap TBS card could be an option, but I can't find a retailer in Hungary. Currently, I can't even find a <100EUR card in the EU - a few days ago I did, but the shipping cost was crazy high.

I googled for dvbsky, but I only found DVB-S cards.

Finally, I'm looking for something that works with Digi, the local DVB-C provider which uses no encryption. It seemed a local community had good experience with 230C - so I bought that 230A, thinking it's the same thing - I think it will work eventually, since it seems to be replacing the 230C, but I'm not patient enough.

11 minutes ago, andris said:

Half height cheap TBS card could be an option, but I can't find a retailer in Hungary. Currently, I can't even find a <100EUR card in the EU - a few days ago I did, but the shipping cost was crazy high.

Look here, they actually ship from Germany I think: Click

There is a PCIe Dual Tuner card for Eur. 84,- and a USB Tuner for Eur. 69,- of course without shipping but that may be an option, since I think the Dual Tuner card is good value for that price.

It's also sometimes really difficult to find something here in Austria used, but sometimes some really good deals show up. :)

• 2 weeks later...