[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

hi all, this is a lot of info to comb through and i feel like i may be missing something.  early posts make it seem that i can use the dvb driver by just adding the entries in the plex parameters, and then maybe it looks like you also have to have something in between for the guide stuff?  i have a hauppage 1609 pcie card installed, added the dvb, nothing is viewable on plex as far as a card goes.  then i try to install some of the recommended items like xteve or tvheadend/tvhproxy but tvheadend i think is the one that fails when trying to install.  wondering if the card is not properly installed with drivers.  any help is appricated.

tower-diagnostics-20240127-1841.zip

4 hours ago, sydeburnz said:

wondering if the card is not properly installed with drivers.  any help is appricated.

the card seems installed, you can try different drivers as Hauppage is ... critical, specially on quad tuners ...

(libreelec or TBS, not DD ...)

the card seems supported in plex, and you also added the device /dev/dvb in the plex docker setup ?

next step would be to check the plex logs what happens when scanning and check at the plex forums ...

4 hours ago, sydeburnz said:

but tvheadend i think is the one that fails when trying to install.

means ? crash on installation ?

• Like 1

i guess the binhex tvhedend maybe out of support, got the other one installed, scanned, shows channels now.  seems my issues now revolve around user authentication.  i got antennas installed and getting 403 errors.  so the dvb is working, now have to chase the other issues.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, alexing said:

Can't the ms2130 chip be driven?

Is this the USB drive you are talking about I assume:

MACROSILICON USB3 Video

This plugin is only meant for DVB usage (webcams too) and not for HDMI capture cards.

Hi @ich777 and all!

I've a strange issue, well maybe not reading through the fun the is DVB drivers on linux!

I have 2 PCIE cards, WinTV-HVR-5525 and TBS6902. Before adding the TBS card I was using LibreElec DVB drivers successfully with the WinTV card. All working perfectly. As I now needed the TBS OS drivers I changed to the TBC-OpenSource package.

All cards are now visible and show in TVHeadend but WinTV card does not work. I have the following errors in the Unraid logs:

Feb 19 23:24:32 GK-UNRAID kernel: si2168 9-0064: Direct firmware load for dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw failed with error -2
Feb 19 23:24:32 GK-UNRAID kernel: si2168 9-0064: firmware file 'dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw' not found

Feb 19 23:24:33 GK-UNRAID kernel: m88ds3103 9-0069: Direct firmware load for dvb-demod-m88rs6000.fw failed with error -2
Feb 19 23:24:33 GK-UNRAID kernel: m88ds3103 9-0069: firmware file 'dvb-demod-m88rs6000.fw' not found

If I change back to the LibreElec package, my WinTV tuner works again but no TBS card visible. 

Any pointers would be great. I hope I haven't missed anything obvious in the topic that would have solved this but I don't think I've seen anything like this.

Diagnostics attached with TBS-OpenSource package enabled.

Thanks,

GK

gk-unraid-diagnostics-20240220-1014.zip

1 hour ago, gearoidocathain said:

If I change back to the LibreElec package, my WinTV tuner works again but no TBS card visible. 

Where is the card visible on the plugin page? Do you use Plex or TVheadend?

I see 4 tuners in your recognized in your Diagnostics.

What is the output from:

ls -la /dev/dvb

Can you post a screenshot from the plugin page with the TBS driver package installed please?

Please upgrade to Unraid 6.12.8 before we continuing further troubleshooting and include new Diagnostics in the post after the upgrade.

2 minutes ago, gearoidocathain said:

A quick check of the logs show that the fw seems to be found now!

Nice, glad to hear.

I actually added the firmware to the new driver packages so to speak, you will have no issues with Unraid 6.12.8+

If you experience any further issues please let me know. :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello @ich777,

I need some help with my plex TV tuner setup and my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q.  I have installed the DVB drivers and rebooted.  It appears that Unraid sees the TV tuner and it works fine in TVheadend.  I have tried everything including putting the extra parameters command in the Plex docker and the modprobe cx23885 command.  Plex and Jellyfin do not see the tuner but Unraid and TVheadend do.  Any ideas?

Edited by tivodoctor
Problem fixed
1 hour ago, tivodoctor said:

Plex

Is Plex officially supporting this tuner? Anyways, please see the recommended post on top of this thread for a workaround.

1 hour ago, tivodoctor said:

Jellyfin

I don't think that Jellyfin supports such Tuners OOB, I use my tuners in combination with TVHeadend to be able to use them in Emby in Jellyfin.

@tivodoctor - You might want to look into getting an HD HomeRun tuner.  I have a couple of these and they work fine in both Plex and Jellyfin.  For the most part I use this with SageTV which is kind of dead now but it was, by far, the best software for recording TV and supported tons of tuners and tuning devices, like IR blasters, etc.

You can get used devices pretty cheap on ebay.  Sometimes the wall warts die so you may need to replace a power supply.

edit - One more good thing about HD Homerun devices is that they are network devices with ethernet connections.  So you don't plug them in to your PC and you don't have to worry about drivers and passthroughs in a docker/VM.  And you can share them with multiple PCs or other devices.

Edited by wayner
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

today i bought a Hauppauge WinTV dual HD USB-Stick (officially supported by plex) and i thought it would be easy to use it with the DVB-Drivers and the plex-Docker...but everything i tried, didn't helped to get it to work.

grafik.thumb.png.b802a4beb03924442a276b1f4a8e29f2.png

grafik.png.ae0c950849553ffd5c0aa6b4782384a4.png

grafik.thumb.png.09b52431eb1c034f11b89a2323a71536.png

Although ist is recognized in the plex-docker:

grafik.png.f066dd03edf852844e9e7ee57be99698.png

grafik.png.7a36bc42a8924fa5a15f0d1b522aa191.png

grafik.png.c9aad4031b9828f1a98cbea498ec8954.png

grafik.png.60efb3e19aed1aa4a658dab19d024f85.png

grafik.png.4568746d92bb22a75d8ed79724904cee.png

after several minutes the DVB-Stick cannot find any channels:

grafik.png.1550c20cf30fc65285520281e05dba46.png

The strange thing is, that the same stick is working if the plex-server is running inside a ubuntu-vm on unraid with USB-passthrough and these drivers for european tuners (at the end of the page) installed:

https://hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_linux.html

Maybe this solutions helps the developer (i don't have enough coding knowledge to do it myself):

What else can i do to make it work in the plex-docker? Any ideas? 🙂

Edited by S.P
addition
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Is Plex officially supporting this tuner? Anyways, please see the recommended post on top of this thread for a workaround.

I don't think that Jellyfin supports such Tuners OOB, I use my tuners in combination with TVHeadend to be able to use them in Emby in Jellyfin.

Thanks for your help @ich777.  I eventually was able to get that tuner working with Plex through TV Headend and Xteve.  Hauppauge has the tuner listed as working with Plex.  https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_plex.html

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wayner said:

@tivodoctor - You might want to look into getting an HD HomeRun tuner.  I have a couple of these and they work fine in both Plex and Jellyfin.  For the most part I use this with SageTV which is kind of dead now but it was, by far, the best software for recording TV and supported tons of tuners and tuning devices, like IR blasters, etc.

You can get used devices pretty cheap on ebay.  Sometimes the wall warts die so you may need to replace a power supply.

edit - One more good thing about HD Homerun devices is that they are network devices with ethernet connections.  So you don't plug them in to your PC and you don't have to worry about drivers and passthroughs in a docker/VM.  And you can share them with multiple PCs or other devices.

Thanks @wayner.  I had 2 of the older HD Homeruns that eventually stopped working.  I wish I knew at the time that the adapters die before the units. This Hauppauge tuner was just laying around, so I wanted to try Plex DVR out before I bought another HD Homerun.  Things turned out to be a little more complex than I thought they would be.  Now I have to decide whether to get the 4k Flex with it's DRM problems or the Quatro tuner which may only be useful for a few more years.

25 minutes ago, tivodoctor said:

Hauppauge has the tuner listed as working with Plex

I‘m not entirely sure if everything is working OOB with Plex and DVB.

However I would stick to the solution in combination with TVHeadend and xteve.