[Plugin] DVB-Driver


ich777

299 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

DVB-Driver (only Unraid 6.9.0beta35 and up)

This Plugin will add DVB Drivers to Unraid.

Please note that this Plugin is community driven and if a newer version of Unraid is released the drivers/modules has to be updated (please make a short post here or see the second post if the drivers/modules are already updated, if you update to a newer version and the new drivers/modules aren't built yet this could break your DVB support in Unraid) !

 

 

Installation of the Plugin (this is only necessary for the first installation of the plugin) :

 

  1. Go to the Community Applications App and search for 'DVB-Drivers' and click on the Download button (you have to be at least on Unraid 6.9.0beta35 to see the Plugin in the CA App) :
    Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_20-34-08.png.bb295f1ef8b03c74fe748eaccae3ae9a.png

    Or download it directly from here:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/unraid-dvb-driver/master/dvb-driver.plg

     
  2. After that wait for the plugin to successfully install (don't close the window with the Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_20-44-49.png.5315f7a5810801ff04628d7d1c5750b6.png, wait for the 'DONE' button to appear, the installation can take some time depending on your internet connection, the plugin downloads a custom bzimage with the necessary DVB Kernel modules, the DVB driver itself and installs it afterwards to your Unraid server) :
    Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_20-44-37.png.313cafb464b9c390c2bdfe6257a6000a.png
     
  3. Click on 'DONE' and read the alert message that appears on the top right hand corner and close it with the 'X':
    Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_20-45-30.png.76ed6007b5dd9d77c471ef216557ffce.png

     
  4. You can skip Step 4 if you are want to use the LibreELEC driver package (selected by default) if you want to choose another driver package go to the Plugin itself PLUGINS -> DVB-Driver and choose which version that you want to install and click on 'UPDATE' (currently LibreELEC, TBS-OpenSource, DigitalDevices and Xbox One USB DVB Adapter drivers available) :
    Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-17_20-08-51.png.e477927c86f47b538620fa7285888c38.png

     
  5. Reboot your server MAIN -> REBOOT:
    Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_21-01-14.png.8085d369156b8895d35dc6979c8194e9.png

     
  6. After the reboot go back to the Plugin page PLUGINS -> DVB-Driver and check if the cards are properly recognized (if your card(s) aren't recognized please see the Troubleshooting section or make a post in this thread but please be sure to read the Reporting Problems section in this post) :Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_20-47-26.thumb.png.da676932c5d1827fb848868c2b92d289.png

 

 

 

Utilize the DVB card(s) in a Docker container:

 

  • To utilize your DVB card(s) in your Docker container, in this example for Tvheadend, add '--device=/dev/dvb/' to the 'Extra Parameters' in your Docker template (you have to enable 'Advanced view' in the template to see this option) :
    Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_20-47-57.png.3d6352165fbc814bd99fd051a4d66ea4.png

     
  • Now you should see the card(s) in the Docker container:
    Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-16_20-48-34.png.22be30cf8ab24a5b5807b81a3fca2639.png

 

 

 

IMPORTANT:

  • If you switch between driver packages a reboot is always necessary!

 

 

 

DigitalDevices Notes:

(This applies only if you selected the DigitalDevices drivers in the Plugin)

 

If you are experiencing I²C-Timeouts in your syslog please append 'ddbridge.msi=0' to your syslinux configuration (example below).

 

You can also switch the operating modes for the Max S8/SX8/SX8 Basic with the following options:

  • 'ddbridge.fmode=0'
    4-tuner mode (internal multi-switch deactivated)
  • 'ddbridge.fmode=1'
    Quad-LNB/normal outputs of the multiswitch
  • 'ddbridge.fmode=2'
    Quattro-LNB / cascade outputs of the multiswitch
  • 'ddbridge.fmode=3'
    Unicable or JESS LNB / Unicabel output of the multiswitch

Link to source

 

You also can combine 'ddbridge.msi=0' (but you don't have to if you don't experience I²C-Timeouts) and for example 'ddbridge.fmode=0' here is a short example how to do it:

 

  1. Go to the 'Main' tab and click on the blue text 'Flash':
    Flash.png.149b5bb84e2c295479e0aba3542d107c.png
     
  2. Scroll a little down and append like mentioned above the commands to the syslinux configuration:
    config.png.050342a91c20f4dbb474b556e8ea20a8.png
    (As stated above you don't need to append 'ddbridge.msi=0' if you don't experience I²C-Timeouts)
     
  3. Click on 'Apply' on the bottom and reboot your server!

 

 

 

TBS-OpenSource Notes:

 

You can also switch the operating modes from the TBS Cards, in this example for the TBS-6909 or TBS-6903-x, if you append one of the following commands to your syslinux configuration (how to is above):

  • 'mxl58x.mode=0'
    Mode 0 -> see picture below
  • 'mxl58x.mode=1'
    Mode 1 -> see picture below
  • 'mxl58x.mode=2'
    Mode 2 -> see picture below

 

Modes:

grafik.thumb.png.2ea86961948710b02800ccf90a269834.png

Link to source

 

 

 

 

Troubleshooting:

(This section will be updated as soon as someone reports a common issue and will grow over time)

 

 

 

Reporting Problems:

Please be sure if you have a problem to always include a screenshot from the Plugin page, a textfile or a link to pastebin of the command 'lspci -v' or 'lsusb -v' - depending on the card you are using PCIe or USB (simply open up a Unraid terminal with the button Bildschirmfoto_2020-11-15_20-38-25.png.36c7b0f5cf1dbf525c1110cc26ed0ad7.png.508c91097b8709907a78a23225b38439.png on the top right of Unraid and type in one of the two commands without quotes) and also the output of 'dmesg' in a textfile or a link to pastebin (simply to not spam the thread with the output).

Link to post
  • Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DVB-Driver (only Unraid 6.9.0beta35 and up) This Plugin will add DVB Drivers to Unraid. Please note that this Plugin is community driven and if a newer version of Unraid is released the driv

Keep in mind he's probably sleeping.  

it shouldnt matter, plugin runs anytime, docker runs only when docker engine is running (array is up)   descrambling is working nice on both so you rather should take a look at your setup(s)

Posted Images

Available versions:

  • 2021.04.08: Kernel v5.10.28 - Unraid 6.9.2

  • 2021.03.09: Kernel v5.10.21 - Unraid 6.9.1

  • 2021.03.02: Kernel v5.10.19 - Unraid 6.9.0

  • 2020.12.19: Kernel v5.10.1 - Unraid 6.9.0 RC2

  • 2020.12.10: Kernel v5.9.13 - Unraid 6.9.0 RC1

  • 2020.12.07: Kernel v5.9.12 - Unraid 6.9.0 beta42

  • 2020.11.17: Kernel v5.9.11 - Unraid 6.9.0 beta37

  • 2020.11.14: Kernel v5.8.18 - Unraid 6.9.0 beta35
Link to post

Hi ich777!
Thanks a lot for your work!
It works perfect!

how can o pay you some beers?

Thanks a lot one more time for supporting UNRAID COMMUNITY!
 

maybe help somebody: For HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD i recommend:

Quote

As a quick workaround I installed the minisatip Docker image and let it handle /dev/dvb instead of TVHeadend, which now sees the DVB-C tuners through a networked SAT>IP layer provided by minisatip. This way TVH can no longer meddle with my tuner card and it all works like a charm!

 

123.JPG

1233.JPG

Edited by psycmos
Link to post
2 minutes ago, psycmos said:

It works perfect!

May I ask which Driver-Package do you use?

 

7 minutes ago, psycmos said:

how can o pay you some beers?

If you really want to donate search in the CA App for 'ich777' and you will find a link. ;)

 

Really glad you like it, please be aware of that if a new version for Unraid is released I have to rebuild the drivers, I try my best to do this as soon as possible. :)

Check the thread (2nd post) if I already rebuilded the drivers.

 

You can also ping me here or with a PM if I didn't rebuild it quick enough... :D

Keep in mind I'm living in central europe...

Link to post
Quote

May I ask which Driver-Package do you use?

Libreelec drivers, for my setup works very good!
-HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD

-DVBSKy S952

I installed Mini SAT IP and added "--device=/dev/dvb/" to this container.

After i used SAT>IP tuners in TVH, because it works better to me!


Thanks a lot ICH777.

Donation is on the way!

Edited by psycmos
Link to post

Hi ICH777

Thanks for all your work on this.  However, I still cannot get any response from my 2 TBS 6920 cards (https://www.tbsdtv.com/download/index.html?path=13&id=63).  The source for the drivers can be found here https://www.tbsiptv.com/download/tbs8920/tbs-linux-sources_v151229.zip

 

Thanks Again

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Fazzical said:

Hi ICH777

Thanks for all your work on this.  However, I still cannot get any response from my 2 TBS 6920 cards (https://www.tbsdtv.com/download/index.html?path=13&id=63).  The source for the drivers can be found here https://www.tbsiptv.com/download/tbs8920/tbs-linux-sources_v151229.zip

 

Thanks Again

Nice, thank you for the feedback, I've integrated the Drivers for TBS a few days ago and need somebody to test this. :)

Are you using the TBS-OpenSource drivers and rebooted after ypu clicked on update?

 

Can you eventually hook me up with a short PM so we can solve this (please open up a terminal and send me the output from 'lspci -v' and 'dmesg' in the PM to not spawn this thread)? I will report back tomorrow, it's getting pretty late here...

Link to post

Hi ICH777

I've worked it out.  Turns out that a lot of the older TBS cards don't like anything other than PCIe Gen1.  My server had all slots configured for Gen2.  Switched these down to Gen1 in the BIOS and can confirm its all working.

 

Thanks again for you hard work on this.

Link to post
5 hours ago, Fazzical said:

Hi ICH777

I've worked it out.  Turns out that a lot of the older TBS cards don't like anything other than PCIe Gen1.  My server had all slots configured for Gen2.  Switched these down to Gen1 in the BIOS and can confirm its all working.

 

Thanks again for you hard work on this.

Thank you for that!

So you are now on the TBS-OpenSource drivers and everything is working now?

Link to post

Hi, I'm a newb to this as well.

I have a HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD that I am trying to get working with PlexPass for DVR recording.

I'm using the libreelec drivers as well, and it appears to be detected fine by the plugin, but I haven't been able to add the device to Plex successfully. 

Have I configured the device incorrectly?

image.thumb.png.e8588bbaa8a0b7fe25d3661fa4a18482.png

image.thumb.png.673ffc8f34a2e7bec8ccf3aa38455ace.png

Link to post
25 minutes ago, anon1105 said:

Hi, I'm a newb to this as well.

I have a HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD that I am trying to get working with PlexPass for DVR recording.

I'm using the libreelec drivers as well, and it appears to be detected fine by the plugin, but I haven't been able to add the device to Plex successfully. 

Have I configured the device incorrectly?

Please read the first post again, especially the part 'Utilize the DVB card(s) in a Docker container:'.

You should put the line that you specified in extra parameters, don't create a new device.

If you do it like this you have to remove the part '--device='

Link to post
41 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please read the first post again, especially the part 'Utilize the DVB card(s) in a Docker container:'.

You should put the line that you specified in extra parameters, don't create a new device.

If you do it like this you have to remove the part '--device='

Can't believe I missed that; thank you for your patience and reply.

 

I added --device=/dev/dvb/ as an extra parameter, but Plex is not finding it on DVR setup.

I'm using the libeelec drivers which have worked previously for me when I ran this system on Unraid DVB edition.

 

Below are some screenshots and my lspci -v output.

 

Thank you again.

 

image.thumb.png.be811960d0d4ebee850066cfc1b191e6.png

image.thumb.png.e4065c7d2ba4c2e9c27cf2d61fc2c756.png

lspci -v.txt

Link to post
17 minutes ago, anon1105 said:

Can't believe I missed that; thank you for your patience and reply.

 

I added --device=/dev/dvb/ as an extra parameter, but Plex is not finding it on DVR setup.

I'm using the libeelec drivers which have worked previously for me when I ran this system on Unraid DVB edition.

 

Below are some screenshots and my lspci -v output.

 

Thank you again.

lspci -v.txt 12.21 kB · 0 downloads

As far as I can see it should work fine, I have to look into Plex and DVB itself, never done this in general.

Can you do me a favour and try if tvheadend finds the tuners?

 

Is there any tutorial out there how to integrate dvb into Plex so that it makes it a little easier for me? :)

 

EDIT: I think this can be only a small problem because the cards a recognized by the system. ;)

Link to post
5 hours ago, guillelopez said:

Did anyone tried it with a Wintv hvr 4000? I found a cheap one, but not sure to buy it. Have no experience with Pcie-Pci dvb devices.

Thanks!

Never tried that device, I'm more the DigitalDevices DVB guy. :D

 

At least this page says that it's supported but I have to look at it if it's integrated in the libreelec drivers, if not I should be able to integrate it: Click

Link to post
9 hours ago, ich777 said:

Never tried that device, I'm more the DigitalDevices DVB guy. :D

 

At least this page says that it's supported but I have to look at it if it's integrated in the libreelec drivers, if not I should be able to integrate it: Click

DigitalDevices seems great, but as I'm just want to experiment a little bit, don't want to expend 150-300€ on a card 😅.

I found the Wintv hvr 4000 for 20€ and a PCIe TBS 6981 for about 40€.

 

With the Wintv I found that it should work with the LinuxTV package but I'm not sure where to find the models that works with Libreelec package.

I guess that with the TBS I should use TBS-OpenSource package on your plugin.

 

Anyway, thanks for the info and thanks for your work with all your plugins!

Link to post
10 hours ago, ich777 said:

As far as I can see it should work fine, I have to look into Plex and DVB itself, never done this in general.

Can you do me a favour and try if tvheadend finds the tuners?

 

Is there any tutorial out there how to integrate dvb into Plex so that it makes it a little easier for me? :)

 

EDIT: I think this can be only a small problem because the cards a recognized by the system. ;)

The tuner is showing upon tvheadend; I've never used the program before though, so I don't know if its "working" though.

I think I followed these instructions on the Plex forums to get Plex working with DVB - Unraid:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/hauppauge-wintv-quadhd-with-plex-on-unraid/221729

It doesn't anything different that you haven't already said though.

 

image.png.aba30622e71fb788ad00789c151cf3ef.png

 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, anon1105 said:

Been trying to get local TV broadcasts, is that DVB-T?

Depends on your country, but I think so.

 

1 minute ago, anon1105 said:

The tuner is showing upon tvheadend; I've never used the program before though, so I don't know if its "working" though.

I think I followed these instructions on the Plex forums to get Plex working with DVB - Unraid:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/hauppauge-wintv-quadhd-with-plex-on-unraid/221729

It doesn't anything different that you haven't already said though.

From what @alturismo told me it could be a little bit difficult to do it directly in Plex, it would be better to use Tvheadend as a backend and Plex as a frontend.

 

It looks good, on youtube are plenty tutorial how to set it up.

First you have to enable the tunes for what you want to use them. If you search for DVB-T then enable DVB-T.

Link to post
13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Depends on your country, but I think so.

 

From what @alturismo told me it could be a little bit difficult to do it directly in Plex, it would be better to use Tvheadend as a backend and Plex as a frontend.

 

It looks good, on youtube are plenty tutorial how to set it up.

First you have to enable the tunes for what you want to use them. If you search for DVB-T then enable DVB-T.

Guess I could've said earlier, I'm in the USA.

I thought that this plugin would give similar functionality to CHBMB's Unraid DVB.
I have been using Binhex's PlexPass; should I try a different Plex docker?

 

Thank you, 

Link to post
23 minutes ago, anon1105 said:

I thought that this plugin would give similar functionality to CHBMB's Unraid DVB.
I have been using Binhex's PlexPass; should I try a different Plex docker?

Why should it be different? The drivers work and that should be enough, the cards are also recognized and you can pass it through to the container.

Have you ever got it running like this with Plex directly? A user on the forum said that this could be difficult to run it directly in Plex and he also recommends using something als as a backend for DVB.

 

Sorry I'm not very into Plex but I for myself also use Tvheadend as the backand and as a frontend Emby.

The advantage to this is that you can all configure for DVB in Tvheadend itself and it is designed for that even TV's can use it since Tvheadend has something like SAT2IP builtin.

 

Just a recommendation.

Link to post
34 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Why should it be different? The drivers work and that should be enough, the cards are also recognized and you can pass it through to the container.

Have you ever got it running like this with Plex directly? A user on the forum said that this could be difficult to run it directly in Plex and he also recommends using something als as a backend for DVB.

 

Sorry I'm not very into Plex but I for myself also use Tvheadend as the backand and as a frontend Emby.

The advantage to this is that you can all configure for DVB in Tvheadend itself and it is designed for that even TV's can use it since Tvheadend has something like SAT2IP builtin.

 

Just a recommendation.

Yes, I had this working previously with Unraid DVB. 

I passed the tuners directly to Plex, and it worked great.
I'm setting this machine up for remote use; needed to clean it up and reset everything that I had on it previously.

After resetting, I found out that Unraid DVB was deprecated, and just found your plugin yesterday.

Just confused why it works with tvheadend, but not Plex; so weird.

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.