[SOLVED] Can not understand why I'm getting slow nzb (3 providers + 2 containers)

I've been trying to figure out why I'm getting slow usenet connections and I've been trying various ways to get more bandwidth.

I have a gigabit fiber, and from wired PC (ethernet), I get various speedtest results, but never below 700mbps (speed test shows 850mb/s, but I'm assuming that's overinflated)

The server (also wired), when I run speedtest under setting, I get ~500mb/s, I don't know why I'm seeing a drop of 300mbps vs. speed test from my PC...

OpenSpeedTest-Server-For-LAN-WiFI-HTML5-Network-Speed-Test, shows 1gb/s connection.

Usenet transfers hovers around 30MB/s speed, regardless of server setting and I cannot find out why. File transfers between PC and unraid goes ~100MB/s, so I'm assuming it's not caused by network or wires. 

I have 3 usenet providers (1 US, 2 NL), and here are couple of things I tried:

1. SABNZB - no VPN, US server priority 0, , rest priority 1- 10 connections, SSL  - max 30MB

1. SABNZB - no VPN, only US server priority 0 ,15 connections, SSL  - max 30MB

2. SABNZB - No VPN, all server priority 0, 10 connections, SSL - max 30 mb

3. SABNZB + nzbget - No VPN, USserver priority 0, rest priority 1 - 5 connections / container, SSL - max 30MB combined

4. SABNZB + nzbget - No VPN, USserver priority 0, rest priority 1 - 10 connections / container, SSL - max 30MB combined

5. SABNZB + nzbget - No VPN, disabled US server in SABNZB priority 0, rest priority 0-1 - 10 connections / container, SSL - max 30MB combined

6. nzbget - No VPN, all server priority 0, 10 connections, SSL - max 30 mb

What's interesting is that speedtest ran on one of the Windows VM (remote desktop) resulted in 400mb/s, so even slower than unraid speedtest...

I've also played around with the priority settings here and there.... So I'm confused... 

• Based on speed test on my PC, it seems like I have semi/solid WAN of ~700mb/s
  • Based on file transfers between PC and unraid, I think cache drive drive speed are fine, and getting 1gb/s
  • Based on speed test on unraid, I have ~500mb/s
  • Based on various testing, the entire nzb group seems to be getting ~30MB/s (240mb/s?)

What could be the culprit in this whole thing? am I wrong to assume having additional server would help increase the speed? Why wouldn't it max out my bandwidth?

Or at least close to what unraid speed test is saying?

Edited by takkkkkkk

FWIW, you're not alone - I see the same thing. If I restart the SABNZB docker I can hit max throughput ~60-70MB/s but soon drops to 30MB/s. When I was running SAB under a VM it maxed out my connection no problem for the entirety of the DL. I haven't figured it out, either. There does seem to be reports of others having the same issue, tho.

6 hours ago, Michael_P said:

FWIW, you're not alone - I see the same thing. If I restart the SABNZB docker I can hit max throughput ~60-70MB/s but soon drops to 30MB/s. When I was running SAB under a VM it maxed out my connection no problem for the entirety of the DL. I haven't figured it out, either. There does seem to be reports of others having the same issue, tho.

Good to know that I'm not alone in this.... May actually give it a try in VM, but if I run Sab within VM, how do I connect it to RADARR / SONARR Docker container?

16 minutes ago, takkkkkkk said:

Tried running on VM, still maxes at 30MB. starting to think it's something to do with how unraid handles WAN.

I can verify that in my WHS 2011 VM, it was maxing out my connection no sweat. I first tried Binhex's SABnzb docker, never went beyond 25MB/s - so i switched to LSIO's, it starts at 60-70MB/s, then drops

29 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

I can verify that in my WHS 2011 VM, it was maxing out my connection no sweat. I first tried Binhex's SABnzb docker, never went beyond 25MB/s - so i switched to LSIO's, it starts at 60-70MB/s, then drops

were you maxing out the LAN connection or external network? what was your bandwidth?

The reason I mentioned it may be unraid's how it handles connecting to external network, is because my VMs would get 350 mbps on speedtest whereas my desktop gets 750mbps (even though my desktop is actually further from the router.

4 minutes ago, takkkkkkk said:

were you maxing out the LAN connection or external network? what was your bandwidth?

The reason I mentioned it may be unraid's how it handles connecting to external network, is because my VMs would get 350 mbps on speedtest whereas my desktop gets 750mbps (even though my desktop is actually further from the router.

External, on a 1Gbs link pulling between 60 and 70MB/s. Running an external speedtest from my VM is actually faster than my desktop lol

Desktop left, VM Right:

image.png.7a6ee382cf83bd0fbb75f79ed3df26cd.pngimage.png.70712e9d599b3af9fb731488ac0ef974.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI... I made a significant improvement in home network,

Changed my router to ubiuiti UDM Pro (didn't change speed much).

Bought US us-16-xg, to use as bridge my ISP GPON to regular 10GB SFP.

and then, got myself PCIE SFP, which I'm using link aggregation to us-16-xg.

now I'm getting 100MB/s sabnzb!!! Not sure if it was all the investments, but I'm super happy!

39 minutes ago, takkkkkkk said:

Just FYI... I made a significant improvement in home network,

Changed my router to ubiuiti UDM Pro (didn't change speed much).

Bought US us-16-xg, to use as bridge my ISP GPON to regular 10GB SFP.

and then, got myself PCIE SFP, which I'm using link aggregation to us-16-xg.

now I'm getting 100MB/s sabnzb!!! Not sure if it was all the investments, but I'm super happy!

Thru the docker container or a VM?

20 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

Sustained? I can still only pull 70/MBs for about a GB or 2 and then it still drops down to 30

It really depends on the file, a few files, I get only 5MB, but in most of the time I get at least 80MB, and some files, I can actually get 1gb/s sustained

Edited by takkkkkkk
2 hours ago, Michael_P said:

Cool, do me a solid and report back to see if it holds up with larger files (10G+)

It's been running overnight, it's holding up pretty steady, It really does depend on the file though it seems like more recent files are, better speed I get. 

but the speed does fluctuate, and drops to ~70MB time to time. I think that's more to do with IOs than WAN bandwidth.

Untitled.jpg

11 hours ago, takkkkkkk said:

It's been running overnight, it's holding up pretty steady, It really does depend on the file though it seems like more recent files are, better speed I get. 

but the speed does fluctuate, and drops to ~70MB time to time. I think that's more to do with IOs than WAN bandwidth.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks, looks like I have some investigating to do

5 hours ago, takkkkkkk said:

yeah honestly, I made so many changes this week including going through somewhat complicated methods of getting rid of ISP's modem (I had to get us-16-xg to get full 1gb/s), I don't know what actually caused the speed to improve...

Well after messing with it for the better part of today, the best I could get sustained with sabnzbd in a docker is 30 - switched over to nzbget and have sustained speeds over 60MB/s which is about max for my provider. Looks like after 11 years using sabnzbd, I'll have to switch over.

• 11 months later...

I don't know if this will help, am doin the newb struggle myself and loving every second of it learning Unraid... 

I was also getting a max of 30ish MB/s in SABnzbd no matter what i did. The solution I found was a config error I over looked when setting up the news server.. Default this is set to 8. My provider allows 60. Once set to 60 I get my full and sustained 100MB/s ...

I know this is an old original post but I hope someone new like me that is just learning finds this and it is the solution they need.

image.png.907d544bbb8a69d80a05ce55f4bea2f4.png

Edited by Zoli
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

This one puzzled me for weeks, but I've finally figured it out.  

For some reason the container image has a different set of default settings than the installation script that you get from nzbget.net. In the download queue settings make sure that you have a setting for ArticleCache (default is 100 MB) as well as WriteBuffer (default is 1024 kb).  My container had blank entries for both of these.  Before settings changes my downloads were limited to about 10MB/sec.  After adding these entries downloads accelerated to 60MB/sec.  I hope that helps.

I'm running Docker in a VM (4 vCPU / 4GB RAM) managed by Portainer. 

Joe

Edited by ByteCruncher
Adding additional information.
  • Thanks 1
  • 8 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, Zoli said:

I don't know if this will help, am doin the newb struggle myself and loving every second of it learning Unraid... 

I was also getting a max of 30ish MB/s in SABnzbd no matter what i did. The solution I found was a config error I over looked when setting up the news server.. Default this is set to 8. My provider allows 60. Once set to 60 I get my full and sustained 100MB/s ...

I know this is an old original post but I hope someone new like me that is just learning finds this and it is the solution they need.

image.png.907d544bbb8a69d80a05ce55f4bea2f4.png

Bro thanks so much, that fixed it for me as well.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2022 at 4:41 PM, ByteCruncher said:

This one puzzled me for weeks, but I've finally figured it out.  

For some reason the container image has a different set of default settings than the installation script that you get from nzbget.net. In the download queue settings make sure that you have a setting for ArticleCache (default is 100 MB) as well as WriteBuffer (default is 1024 kb).  My container had blank entries for both of these.  Before settings changes my downloads were limited to about 10MB/sec.  After adding these entries downloads accelerated to 60MB/sec.  I hope that helps.

I'm running Docker in a VM (4 vCPU / 4GB RAM) managed by Portainer. 

Joe

This saved my life, figuratively! Thank you! Enabling the ArticleCache from 0 to 100 fixed my performance issues.