WD External 10TB

opentoe

I have been waiting for a while for these drives to drop to $159. It seems only the 10TB are pricey and have no more sales at Newegg or Best Buy. I won't buy a 12TB because then I'd have to ditch my 10TB parity. Wonder why they pretty much disappeared at that price while most all other drives are at least on sale once in a while.

11 hours ago, opentoe said:

I have been waiting for a while for these drives to drop to $159. It seems only the 10TB are pricey and have no more sales at Newegg or Best Buy. I won't buy a 12TB because then I'd have to ditch my 10TB parity. Wonder why they pretty much disappeared at that price while most all other drives are at least on sale once in a while.

My parity drive was a 12TB and the 14TB easystores were on sale for $189 each.  I couldn't pass it up so I bought 2.  Then I replaced my 12TB parity drive with the 14TB drive and then moved the 12TB to my array. In your case, sure you're only added 8TB to your array instead of 12TB but it will allow you a wider range of drives to add in the future. So I would say go for it if the higher tb drives have a good price point 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I guess WDC and Best Buy stopped putting these 10TB drives out with a $159 price tag. I really hope they start coming out again at that price. One negative with Unraid is when certain sized drives become less available their price goes up and you are forced to upgrade your parity drive (s) if you want more space. What a pain.

Any shucking 10TB drives these days? They have 8TB externals for $139 all over. There's no shortage of 10TB drives, I guess someone caught on to shucking. Must be the 20000 videos on youtube.