Help please - forgot my password

Skatman

Hi all, 

As per title. I've been an idiot. I use Lastpass and I think I got rid of the password for the 'root' whilst messing around with another Web page that used 'root' as the default username. 🤦‍♂️ 

I've read the 'lost password guide' and it tells me to shutdown the server, remove the flash, delete some files, and all will be sorted. Not an issue. 

However, how am I supposed to shut the server down without access? I know in other Linux Distros you can tab to a command line at login. But as this is via Web page, that won't work. 

Any ideas? 

9 hours ago, Skatman said:

However, how am I supposed to shut the server down without access? I know in other Linux Distros you can tab to a command line at login. But as this is via Web page, that won't work. 

And I would suppose that a short push on the power button of your server should launch a clean shutdown of a computer. I would depend on how the BIOS is setup probably.

1 hour ago, ChatNoir said:

And I would suppose that a short push on the power button of your server should launch a clean shutdown of a computer. I would depend on how the BIOS is setup probably.

I wasn't sure about if this would work. I couldn't remember any options in the UEFI for it and I usually configure it in Windows. When I've had Linux distros in the past, pressing the power button was a kill-switch effectively and I *really* didn't want to do that as it had taken me 2 days to transfer the 20TB of data that I've got.