Migrating to Encrypted XFS

jdubbs23

I'm following the @SpaceInvaderOne tutorial on encrypting an existing array and I'm unsure about a certain step.

I've so far:

1. emptied one large drive (last disk in my array, disk 9)
  2. deleted the XFS partition from the drive
  3. started the array with a "new config" with all the drives back in the same spot, except no parity - NOTE: I was prompted to create a passphrase before I could start the array
  4. formatted the empty drive to XFS-encrypted
  5. copied data from drive 8 (unencrypted) to drive 9 (encrypted)
  6. stopped the array and unassigned drive 8
  7. deleted the filesystem from drive 8

Now I am at the point (10:30 in the YouTube video) where I will create another "new config" and put all the drives back in place, but before I go to start the array I wanted to check something. When I go to "new config" and go to setup the drives as before, it is asking me for a new passphrase again before I could start the array. Since I have valid data on the encrypted drive 9, I'm unsure about providing a new passphrase because I need to still be able to read the data on drive 9. If I provided a new passphrase wouldn't that make reading the data on drive 9 impossible? Do I just provide the same passphrase as before and the data will be there?

image.thumb.png.cd45337963441ce8b9112ad5aaefd3cf.png

The video from SpaceInvaderOne doesn't show that he has to provide a new passphrase when he is doing the new config and starting the array.

Edited by jdubbs23
  • 3 months later...