Is this company at the end?

Zonediver

My dear forum members,

I have already asked several times whether the new Intel platform with Socket 1200 is supported by unraid or not.

To date I have not received a response.

Since I don't feel like using an old S-1151 v2 platform and still don't know whether the new platform is supported, the following question arises:

Is this company (Limetech) at the end?

Hardware lists are unavailable or hopelessly out of date - a strange situation ...

What's wrong with the support?

It's been ages since the last stable release and somehow it's not going well.

The old hardware disappears from the market and the new is apparently not supported. A bad situation.

Perhaps a Limtech employee could give a brief statement about what's really going on here.

Thanks and Greetings

Edited by Zonediver
29 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Seriously doubt it.

29 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Hardware lists are unavailable or hopelessly out of date -

The hardware lists were always maintained by the community, not by Limetech.  It's impossible to keep track of every combination of hardware.

30 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Socket 1200 is supported by unraid

My understanding is that onboard GPU transcoding or passthrough will be troublesome, but everything else should work perfectly.  You're going to be best off with 6.9 beta series.  As an aside, that's socket is what I'm going to be buying on the Boxing Week sales.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Hardware lists are unavailable or hopelessly out of date - a strange situation ...

What's wrong with the support?

The old hardware disappears from the market and the new is apparently not supported. A bad situation.

There has never been an official hardware list because as was stated it is impossible to maintain one.   A better question is whether the hardware is supported by Linux and if so at what kernel version.   That is also one of the reasons Unraid offers trial licences so you can validate the particular hardware that you want to use funs OK with Unraid.

No idea what makes you say this.   The beta releases have been extremely stable if you avoid using the very latest features that have been added and even they have had minimal issues.   There are a lot of new features being added as well as support for newer hardware.   Many people have decided that the beta releases are stable enough to run their main servers on it.

It is supported - it is just that you may need to use a beta release if it requires a newer Linux kernel than is in the previous stable release

• Like 1

...besides the "issue" with IGP-Support on 10thgen Intels, which is something outside of the control by LT, another issue on S1200 motherboards could be this: 

...but again, this is rather an inconvenience. Adding an additional NIC, if you not already have a working Quad or even 10GBE that can be apssed on to the new build, for another 5 bucks is an easy workaround and will keep ypou runnung on stable for good.

Bleeding edge hardware in every OS I’ve ever encountered has often been a problem. Linux has always trailed in support not just unRAID. 

Heck often people running what the hardware was designed for aka windows often have issues waiting for driver updates and until they do often use old versions and don’t see the hardwares full potential. 

Seeing that Limetech is constantly adding more features and I might add people to its staff I wouldn’t say “at their end”. 😃 

Most of us have ran their Betas just fine. You know it’s just as simple as downloading an update trying it out and rolling back if your not happy. You can switch back and forth in less than 30minutes unless you make some drastic changes along the way. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Perhaps a Limtech employee could give a brief statement about what's really going on here.

Thanks and Greetings

As others have mentioned, we are actually growing as a company. When I started out early last year, I was the 4th FTE. We are now almost double that and I can assure you we are all working very hard to get this Stable release out. We also have some exciting things in store so please stay tuned!

This has been a tough year for a variety of reasons. Even in the best of times, it's not easy growing as an all remote company but rest assured, we aren't going anywhere and have big plans for the future! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1