Remove second parity drive

dfox1787

34 minutes ago, Djinn said:

What do you mean by be careful with connections?

Based on what we see on the forum, bad connections are much more common than bad disks. Bad connections can and often do cause a disk to be out-of-sync and require rebuilding.

Sometimes people will replace a disk for whatever reason. During replacement they will disturb connections on other disks. All disks must be reliably read to reliably rebuild a disk.

Lots of threads on the forum just like that. Probably the best argument for dual parity is people making mistakes like this.

35 minutes ago, Djinn said:

I use the preclear disks plugin to test drives before I put them in.  Is there more than that I should do?

Often, electronics will either fail early, or will be fine until obsolete. "Infant mortality" is why people do multiple preclears. Unraid only requires a clear disk when adding it to a new slot in an array that already has valid parity. In that case if a disk isn't clear Unraid will clear it, so preclear is really just for testing.

Preclear is probably as good a test as any. No amount of testing will ever guarantee something won't go wrong later.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Based on what we see on the forum, bad connections are much more common than bad disks. Bad connections can and often do cause a disk to be out-of-sync and require rebuilding.

Sometimes people will replace a disk for whatever reason. During replacement they will disturb connections on other disks. All disks must be reliably read to reliably rebuild a disk.

Lots of threads on the forum just like that. Probably the best argument for dual parity is people making mistakes like this.

AH gotcha.  All my Drives are connected to 9211 LSI HBAs with forward cables.  I only use the onboard sata for the DVD drive i have in the server.