Cannot find "/dev/dri" in file system

Skatman

Hi all,

Trying to enable hardware acceleration pass-through for Intel QuickSync on my server by following this guide, but I cannot find the directory "/dev/dri" as stated in the title.

I searched for similar issues and found a load of other issues but not many resolutions. I have an ASRock Z390 Extreme4 motherboard and an Intel i5-8400 CPU on UNRAID 6.8.3. I know that it works because I used the same hardware on Windows before installing UnRAID and it worked flawlessly.

I have double checked and updated the BIOS this morning and still no directory found. Is there something I should have done first? Is there an equivalent of 'driver updates' that I'm not aware of in UnRAID? 

Appreciate any support.

Best,

Edited by Skatman

Fixed it, I think. In that last post on page 2, there's a post by "Hoopster" that states "what happens when you type "modprobe i915" at the console?".

Thought I'd give it a bash and boom. Files now exist. Totally bizarre, but perhaps worth updating the guide as it seems like that builds the folders.

Aaaaand it says it right there in the guide to actually do that.

Once again, I'm an idiot. haha

Edited by Skatman
2 hours ago, Skatman said:

what happens when you type "modprobe i915" at the console?".

Thought I'd give it a bash and boom. Files now exist

Yes, and if you do not put 'modprobe i915" in your "go" file on the unRAID flash drive, the next time you reboot the server, /dev/dri will again be missing.

If you only put it in your go file and never rebooted the server or entered the command in manually, no drivers were loaded.  That's what actually creates /dev/dri and the associated files needed for transcoding.

On 11/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, Hoopster said:

Yes, and if you do not put 'modprobe i915" in your "go" file on the unRAID flash drive, the next time you reboot the server, /dev/dri will again be missing.

If you only put it in your go file and never rebooted the server or entered the command in manually, no drivers were loaded.  That's what actually creates /dev/dri and the associated files needed for transcoding.

Sorry for the delay in response, I've updated the 'go' file (very frustratingly due to the issue stated here), but I've managed to do that. 

Very much a case of RTFM in this instance. haha