Balancing Drives

Djinn

Just now, Djinn said:

So as I have added disks to the array they just sit with nothing on them.  Is there a way to get unraid to move files around and keep the disks more or less equally full or do you just fill one to 50% then go to the next one?

Unraid will not automatically move files around.

you can determine using the Allocation Method setting on shares how new files should be split across drives.   The default is “High-Water” and you might want to read up on exactly how that works.    Note however that if you have set the Split Level setting explicitly this can over-ride allocation method.

29 minutes ago, Djinn said:

Does High Water just fill in the way I am seeing where it fills a drive up to half then moves on to the next?  I guess overall it doesn't really matter I mean eventually it will shake out i guess. 

That is basically the idea. It is the default because it is a good compromise between using all disks "eventually " without constantly switching disks simply because one disk might temporarily have more free space.