Transfer speed capped at 50 MBps

Shadz

Hi all, I've been setting up UnRAID for the first time and having a blast. Now that initial drive setup and files are transferred, I've setup my parity drive. However, transfers to the drives is very slow (~50 MBps) even between the Win10 VM and the server itself. For comparison, disk to disk transfer via Krusader is ~150 MBps, Preclear/parity was ~190 MBps. Transfer over the network, prior to the parity drive was 130 MBps (in line w/ gigabit ethernet). These are all numbers without a cache drive.

So question is,

1) how do I get it past 50 MBps or is this a limitation of the parity process?

2) Is it worth it to get a faster NIC? It seems that when using the VM to send data to the share, I'm technically sending data to the router and back, thus capped at my ethernet speed. If I were to get a 2.5 or 10 GbE NIC+switch, would that mean that I'd transfer closer to the max speed of the drives?

Relevant hardware:

CPU: Intel 6700k

RAM: 32 GB (16 allocated to W10 VM)

Mobo: Asus Z270-A Prime

NIC: integrated gigabit

Array: 5x 12 TB WD Red (incl. 1 parity)

Thanks!!

Edited by Shadz

Gotcha! I'll turn on turbo-write for large transfers.

I recall reading that the virtio drivers emulates a 10G NIC but my motherboard only has a 1G NIC. Am I technically bottlenecking myself at 1G because of it?

Specifically, if I change the NIC to a 10G card (and network switch), would I transfer to my cache drive at 10G instead?

Gotcha! I'll turn on turbo-write for large transfers.

I recall reading that the virtio drivers emulates a 10G NIC but my motherboard only has a 1G NIC. Am I technically bottlenecking myself at 1G because of it?

Specifically, if I change the NIC to a 10G card (and network switch), would I transfer to my cache drive at 10G instead?

It won’t help in this case, the VM to unRAID share networking is not affected by the NIC speed, it’s using a virtual network. You should already be able to write to the cache drive at full disk speed from the VM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 3 years later...