[Support] omada-controller

SETUP:

PRIOR TO FIRST RUN - If you don't you may need to wipe all files in the 3 paths and start again.

1. Set all Ports via the variables on the template prior to first run.
    • My default Ports are set non-standard to avoid other used ports.
    • These setting works great on my network, AP adoption, etc. and likely will with yours.
  2. Set the 3 paths to your cache or unassigned drive.
    • I have heard permission issues come from using the array paths.
  3. In Advanced check the "WebUI" URL is you changed my default ports.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Edited by hedrinbc

First up, thanks for the docker! I've been waiting for a docker app that supports Omada Controller v4.  Right now, I'm running a windows vm just to get the controller.  Anyway, I tired installing your docker but I must be doing something wrong.  Any thoughts?

omada.png

Edited by jbquintal

Hi there couple questions.

1. Were you able to create paths on your system for the three paths required?
  2. Were those paths on your array or in a cache or unassigned drive?

My 3 paths are on an unassigned drive versus in the array and I have heard there could be permission issues if on the array. Reading those logs it appears to me it can't write into the paths.

Happy to continue to help, I do have it running over here so we can get there!

-Ben

Edited by hedrinbc
3 hours ago, _whatever said:

Just out of curiosity, do you know if on first run this will upgrade a 3.2 database if I copy over my config and db from a 3.2 install and use it with this container?  I was going to try it later but thought I'd ask first in case it's a waste of time.

I just kept the stock default config and ran through the wizard and then imported my config from the old controller.  Seems to have worked fine.  Thanks for your work on this container so I can use a much newer version!

For others coming from 3.2 you can use the link below to migrate your config.  Note, you'll have to reconfigure any ACLs or captive portals you have setup since they won't migrate.  You also have to make sure that the paths for your data, work and logs folders all point to a single disk and not a share.  In my case I'm using /mnt/cache/.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/omada-sdn/controller-upgrade/#content-5_1_2

Skip to bullet 2 step 1.

On 11/24/2020 at 1:34 AM, hedrinbc said:

Hi there couple questions.

1. Were you able to create paths on your system for the three paths required?
  2. Were those paths on your array or in a cache or unassigned drive?

My 3 paths are on an unassigned drive versus in the array and I have heard there could be permission issues if on the array. Reading those logs it appears to me it can't write into the paths.

Happy to continue to help, I do have it running over here so we can get there!

-Ben

Hey Ben,

Thanks... I resolved mine by fixing permissions.  Works great now.

Omada1.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, dodgeman said:

Great container, I set it all up and it works after changing to a fixed drive path. Only issue is I have V2 EAP225 AP's and they are not supported. Is there a way I could modify the container to the version 3 code stream ie 3.2.1?

Well, assume this is total guessing as I haven't done this myself.

If you install my omada-controller Unraid docker then go into Docker in your Unraid and edit that Docker. 

Likely need to switch to Advanced mode in the upper right.

The Docker we are using support multiple labels for different versions of Omada controller. (see for details: https://hub.docker.com/r/mbentley/omada-controller)

So add ":3.2" after "mbentley/omada-controller" so should be "mbentley/omada-controller:3.2" (without the quotes).

Hopefully you can take it from there and see if it works?

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite sure what happened.  Had an update for this docker roughly a week ago.  Ever since the update, the docker resets.  As in the webui has defaulted as if it was a first time setup even though the files where there.  Only happens on server reboot.  I changed paths to be at /mnt/users/appdata like the rest of the dockers use.  Have yet to reboot to test due to kids yelling they want thier wifi :).  What permissions or what should the permissions be for the directory?  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having issues with my R605 becoming disconnected and then cannot be readopted. I'll also noticed that my two EAP245s will become periodically disconnected at the same time and will automatically be readopted. I don't think this is expected behavior and I'm wondering if it's related to the discovery ports. I currently have it set to network host with the ports passed through. Could switching it to the br0 bridge and giving the controller it's own IP potentially solve my issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Having an issue with the docker. Log as as such: 

at com.tplink.omada.start.task.MetaDataInitTask.a(SourceFile:51)
at com.tplink.omada.start.task.f.a(SourceFile:13)
at com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaBootstrap.f(SourceFile:321)
at com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaLinuxMain.b(SourceFile:87)
at com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaLinuxMain.main(SourceFile:25)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
at java.io.FileOutputStream.writeBytes(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:326)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.OutputStreamManager.writeToDestination(OutputStreamManager.java:256)
... 27 more

2021-05-08 11:07:18,740 main ERROR Unable to write to stream ../logs/server.log for appender RollingFile: org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AppenderLoggingException: Error writing to stream ../logs/server.log
2021-05-08 11:07:18,740 main ERROR An exception occurred processing Appender RollingFile org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AppenderLoggingException: Error writing to stream ../logs/server.log

at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.OutputStreamManager.writeToDestination(OutputStreamManager.java:258)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.FileManager.writeToDestination(FileManager.java:177)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.rolling.RollingFileManager.writeToDestination(RollingFileManager.java:185)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.OutputStreamManager.flushBuffer(OutputStreamManager.java:288)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.OutputStreamManager.flush(OutputStreamManager.java:297)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AbstractOutputStreamAppender.directEncodeEvent(AbstractOutputStreamAppender.java:179)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AbstractOutputStreamAppender.tryAppend(AbstractOutputStreamAppender.java:170)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AbstractOutputStreamAppender.append(AbstractOutputStreamAppender.java:161)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.RollingFileAppender.append(RollingFileAppender.java:268)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AppenderControl.tryCallAppender(AppenderControl.java:156)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AppenderControl.callAppender0(AppenderControl.java:129)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AppenderControl.callAppenderPreventRecursion(AppenderControl.java:120)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AppenderControl.callAppender(AppenderControl.java:84)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.callAppenders(LoggerConfig.java:448)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.processLogEvent(LoggerConfig.java:433)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.log(LoggerConfig.java:417)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.LoggerConfig.log(LoggerConfig.java:403)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AwaitCompletionReliabilityStrategy.log(AwaitCompletionReliabilityStrategy.java:63)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.Logger.logMessage(Logger.java:146)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger.logMessageSafely(AbstractLogger.java:2091)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger.logMessage(AbstractLogger.java:1993)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLogger.logIfEnabled(AbstractLogger.java:1852)
at org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jLogger.error(Log4jLogger.java:299)
at com.tplink.omada.start.task.FailExitTask.a(SourceFile:18)
at com.tplink.omada.start.task.f.a(SourceFile:13)
at com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaBootstrap.f(SourceFile:321)
at com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaLinuxMain.b(SourceFile:87)
at com.tplink.omada.start.OmadaLinuxMain.main(SourceFile:25)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
at java.io.FileOutputStream.writeBytes(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:326)
at org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.OutputStreamManager.writeToDestination(OutputStreamManager.java:256)
... 27 more

Failed to start omada controller, going to exit
2021-05-08 11:07:18 [main] [ERROR]-[SourceFile:51] - Failed to get WebApplicationContext, Met2021-05-08 11:07:19 [nioEventLoopGroup-5-1] [INFO]-[SourceFile:50] - Omada Controller isn't prepared to handle event
2021-05-08 11:07:27 [nioEventLoopGroup-5-1] [INFO]-[SourceFile:50] - Omada Controller isn't prepared to handle event
ShutdownHook: service stopped.

• 3 months later...

This docker works fine. Just a note though.. When using this on a TP-Link ER605 it completely removes all the config from it if you hadn´t configured Omada on it before yet. Mine was a stand alone config through the device web interface but it completely removed and defaulted all WAN/LAN/FIREWALL/VPN settings. I had to set it up all again.

Thanks for the docker though.

• 1 month later...

Just added a ER605 and TL-SG2008P. 

Had an issue where the ER605 defaults to 192.168.0.1 and I use 192.168.1.1.  There is a support FAQ at TP-Link that tells you how to get Omada to adopt the router.

Other than that, not a docker issue, it worked great.  I also just noticed that this docker supports non Host networking so I can assign a dedicated IP to the docker.  Very nice indeed.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

I'm very new to all of this (Linux, UnRaid, dockers and Omada). I've had several docker 'crashed' recently and I think it's down to permission. How can I check the permissions in the directories where Omada resides and what are the command to make sure I have the corrected permissions for those directories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...